•𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚎•

~𝚅~
𝚠𝚊𝚕𝚔

His eyes pierced mine and I was quiet for a moment.

I avoided his eye contact by sipping on my coffee. The mug covered my face which was a huge relief because I couldn't bear to look at him right now. I was practically gulping it down and had been for a little while just to get away from his piercing stare.

A shadow covered the coffee, and a hand slowly lowered the coffee mug I was holding. He brought the mug to the table and let his fingers linger on the rim of the cup. Looking up to his eyes, I fidgeted with my lips as I bit them and moved them around anxiously.

"What?" I asked slowly.

"Don't ignore me." His lips slightly smirked up. He knew me so well. Too well.

Should I pretend like I don't know what he's talking about? Or that I've changed so much he doesn't know me anymore! Or maybe-

"Do you want to go for a walk? You seem a bit spaced out." He takes me out of my trance.

I nod slowly and finish my last sip of coffee and get up, completely ignoring the hand he lent to help up.

And yes, I did feel like a total jerk for doing that.

I walk out with Grey right behind me the close proximity makes me jittery. I'm pretty sure it's the coffee taking over my body. My hands shake and I stuff them in the creases of my elbow as I cross my arms.

Exiting the coffee house, I feel his hand press against the small of my back and I practically shiver. It's the sparks and they're hitting full force again.

He leads me down the sidewalk and I go along with him. He walks on the right side of me, blocking me from the road. His hand never leaves, and I have already tried walking a quicker pace than him but there's not outrunning his long legs.

Turning yet another corner, a park comes into view, and I smile. An empty park with trees abundant everywhere looks beautiful everywhere. Even with the dreary sky. 

I've always loved nature. The sway of the trees makes them look like they are dancing. When I was younger, I would often sit in my treehouse for hours just looking at the leaves move and sway. My favorite thing was the sound they would make when it was fall and they would crunch and flow down as they prepared for winter.

I go to a college in the city, so I don't see much nature anymore. I miss my yard, especially my treehouse.

Looking at trees and the park in front of me puts a smile on my face and lightens the mood. Grey leads me to a park bench. A playground is in view, but not super close to the point where we can hear the kids but only faintly. Loud giggles are the only thing we can make out but from this distance they look like little blurs of bright colors moving around.

We sit at a bench and stare off. I turn quickly towards his face.

Too quickly.

We hit each other's face and bounce back. He rubs his chin with pain on his face.

A flashback of him on the ground entangled in twigs and branches floods my memory. He rubs his chin the same way he was rubbing his head, and I giggle. "Greg." I snicker.

His brow furrows for a second but then his lips curve slightly as he recalls the oh-so long-ago memory.

"Are you ok Greg." I drag out the name like high school me once did. 

I come close to his face and take his chin in my hand placing my thumb tentatively on his chin. I look up at him for a second to make sure he's ok with me touching him but then focusing my attention on the tiny red mark. His face comes closer, and I part my lips. I close my eyes, and nothing happens.

I look up and see him looking at my forehead closely. I look like a buffoon with my eyes closed and with my lips all open like a fish.

"You got a little bruise forming." His middle finger touches a sore spot. I flinch and he retracts his hand.

"Guess we're both marked then." I try to joke.

Ew, my jokes sound like dad jokes.

Wind brushes through my hair and I lean back a little. I'm so timid and frigid which I'm not used to being around Grey. Maybe it's his presence. His new aura of scariness and assertiveness catches me off guard. Of course, he's always been a bit quiet and scary, but I guess it's just emphasized more if even possible. I uses to be able to sense the next move Grey was going to make, or the next thing he was going to say, but now I know nothing about him. It's totally weird and makes me stand on the tips of my toes in order to figure him out.

All of a sudden, a loud rumble from the clouds is heard through the sky.  The clouds are a deep threatening color and I look to the playground to find it completely empty. 

"We should probably head out before it gets worse." Grey gets up and holds his hand out.

I take it this time and look behind me for my purse. My purse. I left it in the coffee house!

"What's wrong?" Grey asks.

"I-I left my purse." I stress and pull a hand into my hair. 

••••
VOTE
COMMENT
FOLLOW