Aftermath

Tori

The hospital released me. My parents brought me home. I walked in and plopped down on the couch.

"What's wrong?" Mom asked me.

"Nothing," I muttered. I glanced at my bandaged arm and hand.

Dad sat next to me on the couch. "Tori, it's okay to feel angry."

I looked at my dad. "It's not that," I mentioned.

Dad looked at me with concern.

"I let my phone distract me. If I didn't become distracted, Tim wouldn't have a chance to hurt me," I said. I'm more disappointed in myself than anything.

"We can ask ourselves questions the livelong day. Tim attacking you was because of his obsession. We don't know why. We may never know the reason," dad reasoned.

I nodded as I sat there. Someone knocked at the door. Dad answered it as I sat there. Conner entered as my parents gave us space. He walked over and sat down in a chair.

"I heard what happened to you," Conner mentioned.

"How did you find out?" I questioned.

"Bradley called me. He said the police arrested Tim for what he did to you."

"I don't know why. I never did anything to Tim."

"It's not you."

I looked at Conner with confusion.

"Tim has problems. When we were kids, he would stay to himself. He only joined us when we fought with Elias and his brothers. The school told my parents Tim needed help. My dad refused," Conner explained.

"Your brother stalked me. He attacked me with a knife. How should I respond to what you're telling me? Do you want me to feel bad for him?" I asked.

I wasn't in the mood to show sympathy.

"No, but I don't want you to feel guilty. I spent years living with guilt. It consumes you and leaves you with questions," Conner reasoned.

I saw the regret in Conner's eyes. I want to hate the Wilson brothers, but I couldn't, except for Tim. I hate him.

"Why?" I asked.

Conner looked at me, confused. It was the one question I had no answer to from the Wilson brothers.

"Why did you and your brothers fight with Elias and his brothers? Why did I get dragged into it? Why?" I questioned.

"Because you listen to the wrong people. My dad should have protected us, but he didn't. He chose to wrong. Not everyone gets loving parents like you or Elias. A few of us get the shaft," Conner answered.

I furrowed my brows as Conner looked at me. I never realized how someone's home life could affect them. I stood as Conner did the same. I walked over and hugged him. Conner tensed then hugged me back.

I want to feel angry, but I know it's a useless emotion. Conner didn't deserve my wrath for what his brother did. I give him credit. He came to talk to me and explain things. I hope one day he finds happiness.

Conner left, and I sat down on the couch. My dad came into the living room and sat on the sofa.

"Are you okay?" Dad asked me.

"I will be," I answered.

My dad looked at me and gave me a soft smile. I leaned forward and cradled my injured arm.

"Gabe and I are lucky," I said.

"How so?"

"We got a dad who loves us. That makes us lucky," I reasoned.