Chapter 90

As they walked along the path, she could not exactly see, a lot of different creatures attempted to block their way. The key word being 'attempted'.

Neither her nor Artorias even had to move. They were all torn to shreds by Sif. Indeed, Sif might be no match against the father of the Abyss, but these small fries were not even regarded as worthy prey much less a formidable foe. They even had the leisure to chat.

"Are you tired?", asked the knight.

She smiled at this. What girl would not wish to be asked if they were tired by what is probably the most famous knight in Lordran. Although she has yet to see his face, she could tell that he was a handsome man.

"Why? Would thou offer me a hand?"

"It is not the first time I have the privilege of escorting a fair maiden such as yourself. I was merely asking."

The word fair maiden was a word she has not heard in a long time. It nearly made her forget that she was once someone used to be taken care of by someone. Although some would say otherwise, it made her nostalgic for being taken care like a proper 'fair maiden' once again.

The last one to call her a fair maiden was the Ashen One, but she wondered what he would say if he saw her now. She liked to believe that he would be filled with pride.

"Then let us say I am tired. Would thou carry like a princess thee promised to save?"

She was curious at his response. Earlier, he acted like a stubborn child but here he was acting like a proper knight. It was a very interesting affair to watch. It intrigued her more than one would expect.

What he did to her nearly made her mind went blank. He bent his knees down and scooped her up like a child and held her in his arms. A proper 'princess treatment' that she once longed for.

She got a close look at him. She still could not see anything other than a black void. It's like something is blocking that face.

He then called Sif over and set her on the back of the great grey wolf. This was not something she expected. The wolf was something that deserved respect and she could hardly imagine riding on top of Sif like a horse.

"Lord Artoras, is there a reason I cannot bear witness to thy face?"

'Is it a curse from Manus?', she wondered. But, what would Manus gain from preventing the face of the Knight to be seen.

'Or is it something sensitive for her to ask?' He might be like the giant Hawkeye whose features might be harmed by others.

There have been some speculations even back in her homeland to what the actual face of Artorias was. Now that, she had a chance to talk to him personally, it would be a shame not to ask it.

"My face? It is probably because of the helm. A face can be seen when someone puts on my helm, but it is a different case for me. My helm was a gift from Ciaran.

She told me how my face was only for her and how I would break hearts if my face were to be visible though I fail to understand how I would kill people with my face."

Ohhh... so this was why. It wasn't even that deep, but she learnt that he was an idiot even back in Lordran. It seems he still fail to realize what picking up a maiden would mean.

He would have broken the hearts of many maidens even if he failed to realize it. So, the rumors about the Lord's Blade Ciaran having feelings for the Wolf knight was true.

In a way, it soothes her beating heart to know that the four knights of Gwyn weren't mere puppets and had feelings like them. She smelt jealously from the Lord's Blade, and it made her giggle. It wasn't every day that one would hear gossip from the four knights of Gwyn.

The walk to Manus was a slow but a memorable one. A talk with Gwyn's knight was never a waste of time. If she could, she would like to ask what he thought of Gwyn.

It is no secret that she did not have a good impression of Gwyn, but it is a question far too sensitive to ask one that served Gwyn loyally for ages. Also, she has yet to be so familiar with the knight to ask such questions.

On the way, she also managed to discover that Sif could eat her flames as food. She asked Artorias to try eating it but he failed to eat the flames. Why? It was a question to find out later, but she fed the wolf flames along the way.

Was it a waste of flames? Yes, it was but feeding a good boy was a core memory for her. The great grey wolf loved it. His tail wagged like a fan whenever she created flames and fed it to him by hand. She thoroughly enjoyed the company of both Artorias and Sif.

The feeling of Morris in her hands was also a comfortable sensation. It was holding a cat that sat contently in her lap. There is no greater feeling then being trusted by an animal. However, all good things must come to an end.

They eventually arrived in front of what seems like a white door. She stared at it. It wasn't something beautiful. Before there, lies the father of the Abyss. There were no guards nearby for Manus has no need of one. He would pound all intruders to death.

She slowly grabbed the palm of Artorias and took part of his soul. It was in case he was corrupted by Manus once again. She could use it to restore his humanity. Although it was unlikely, no one could tell for certain.

She felt the presence of something so ridiculous when taking part of it. It was as if all of the world's madness was jumbled in one place. As if it contained the truth of this world. But she ignored it and took that in.

"Shall we go in, Lord Artorias?"

He did not say a word and jumped straight into it. Sif followed him immediately. She did not know what lies ahead for she has never seen Manus, but she followed them. Whether victory or defeat lies ahead is something they will know in time.