Chapter 79

"We've called for you, keeper because Asgard is in danger at this moment.", said Odin heavily. She could see that he was tired. Far too tired yet he preserves for this is the duty of a Lord.

"The Abyss Watchers. The dragons call them. They have been going around slaughtering among the nine realms."

"I do know of the Abyss Watchers, but I find it hard to believe that they would give trouble to the everlasting ones.", she replied.

Indeed, the sight of an Abyss Watchers spells destruction for a kingdom. Not even Wolnir's sand empire stood a chance against them. yet, she did not see the Abyss Walkers giving trouble to the first beings of the world.

"On that we can agree. But they are like rats. As soon as the sense a dragon coming, they would run away as soon as possible. They are getting bolder and bolder. The dragons find it beneath them to find any information about them. Even Alduin knows only their name and nothing more."

Indeed, the dragons were not around by the time the Abyss Walkers roamed empires destroying them at the first sighting of the Abyss.

The Legacy of the legendary knight Artorias. The dragons will recognize Artorias, the Abysswalker but they would not recognize their legacy.

"Very well, what thou need to know first is that the Abyss watchers are undead and not unkindled which I am not very familiar with. I am more familiar with the unkindled as I have been by one."

"What is the difference between an undead and an unkindled?"

"An undead is someone who links the fire by inheriting it. In linking the fire, they become kindled. An undead can eventually become hollow and go mad. An unkindled however, cannot.

An unkindled is an undead who failed to link the fire. They are burn out after failing and are reborn from the ashes as an Unkindled.

That is what the Ashen One is. Unkindled. Even though an undead failed to burn themselves to link the fire, they are burnt in some capacity and are reborn.

An unkindled will not burn themselves when linking the fire for there is no humanity left in there to burn. In fact, during my era, there are no humanity left anywhere. All has become undead to unkindled. Humans, even part humans have ceased to exist.

Unkindled are products of the flame, not humanity, and the First Flame resurrected them from death. They are merely borrowing power directly from the flame to sustain their very existence for there is no humanity left.

The undead were human champions that can be used to link the fire. An unkindled however, can only kill the Lords of Cinders and use their souls to link the fire."

"So, what do you know of these Abyss Watchers? These human champions truly fit to link the fire and not merely Ash that goes around killing?"

"The Abyss Watchers. The Undead legion of Farron is a caravan of undead sworn by wolf's blood to contain the Abyss. The Legion will bury a kingdom at first sight of exposure to the Abyss."

"The Abyss? I have only heard rumors of it. But I heard they would corrupt anything to walk in it. And what does the swearing by wolf blood mean?"

"Indeed, my dear Odin. The Abyss is an unhabitable place hostile to all living. And by wolf blood, there was lived a legendary knight, Artorias.

The knight goes travelled inside the Abyss to combat against it alongside his loyal wolf, Sif. It is in their honor that the legion swore.

They all share the blood of the Wolf, whom they all worshipped. The blood has dried up when the legion became Lords of Cinder.

The age of the Abyss Walkers passed while the watchdogs of Farron continued to stay there defending the graves of those once mighty warriors.

After the Abyss watchers became Lords of Cinder, Farron was consumed by a festering wood. It has become home to monstrous slugs, home to Ghru goat demons and Dark wraiths.

However, the way the Abyss watchers fought was unique. A dagger used as a wedge in the left with a great sword held in the right.

They confine foes in the manner of wolves hunting prey. They hunt as a pack and aim to preserve themselves.

They would single out their prey and would prod for weakness. The moment you show an opening, another would jump straight at them killing in an instant.

Like all lords of Cinder, they are also capable of utilizing the flame so do take care of that. And also do mind the fact that thou can never single one of them out.

They move, live and hunt as one. Their shared wolf blood allows them to do that. And if Asgard need further help in hunting down the undead legion of Farron, I would be more than happy to help thee in times of need."

"Ah... you have my gratitude, but Asgard has yet to fall. It is time for me to go out once more. They have forgotten the might of Asgard. They will soon remember the wrath of Odin. You have more than enough, keeper.

I shall go after the Abyss Watchers personally and I shall find this source of the Abyss. Asgard is in your debt once more."

"Then, I shall leave these problems in thy capable hands, my dear Odin. May the sun shine forever upon the kingdom of Asgard.", she wished him luck as she slightly bowed her head. She then left to meet Alduin once more.

She wondered what the Lord of the everlasting dragons have to say for her. Walking slowly, she gazes upon the kingdom of Asgard. She was reminded of Lordran. She also wondered how noble knights like Artorias would react upon knowing that their Lord was not the man he seemed to be.

Would they scorn him? Or would they continue to serve him? For what did the Abyss Watchers came to Asgard. Why did the Abyss exist here? Who is the Red Hood and her Lady? Why are the Lords of Cinders being summoned?

Oh, now that she really thought of it, there were too many questions. After this, she wondered if she should visit Earth before going back into the cosmos. It has been some time after all.