V2: Chapter 13

[Two years later]

She had not been mistaken when she thought that something was amiss two years ago. She has been 'fading'.

Time has pass by faster and faster for her. This was also the reason people had generally started ignoring her. This was also what caused her to teleport longer than usual.

Her existence was erased for a short time whenever she teleported. The time she needed to come back to existance was taking longer and longer each time. One day, she wouldn't come back.

Records of her started disappearing. Her very existence started fading from both the physical and spiritual plane. No body wanted to be near a dying flame.

When she thought of it seriously once again, it made perfect sense. Even the original flame in all its glory needed souls for it to keep burning while she was but a mere spark of the once great flame.

As time goes on, things have become more and more meaningless to her. Of course, she could also burn souls to keep herself burning but the, this world would eventually just transform into her old world, and this was not what she wishes for.

Gwyn sacrificed himself to keep the flames burning. She would have to sacrifice something to keep herself burning. The souls of the damned could be used but she would never use it.

Eventually she would pass on to the embrace of Lady Death, she wished for her time here to last a little longer. At least to see the 'new world' as much as she could.

She has had two years' time for that. She has travelled as many places as she can before she finally fades. Now, she had returned to the church she once lived.

She had been very famous for preventing every single causality from appearing on the news when the war was first over but now, people barely notice her presence. After all, who would notice embers that is now turning into ash.

She started disappearing piece by piece until she came to a strange place once again. It was a very familiar place. There was a bonfire. It was the place where she would usually sit and wait for the return of the Ashen one.

She saw the Ashen one sleeping on the ground. 'He should wake up soon', she thought to herself. He never woke up and instead kept on sleeping. She attempted to probe what was going on but she sensed nothing.

It's as if he was still sleeping soundly. It was the first time she had 'seen' the Ashen one after years yet here he was lying down. So, she sat there simply waiting until a glowing orb came out of nowhere.

It was moving towards her as she stare at it curiously. It went into her chest and she woke up once again. She looked at surroundings. She was in the church once again.

Her time has been prolonged once again by burning another soul. She recognized what it was. It was the soul of another firekeeper.

'Ashen one, thou keep saving me even after thee no longer exist.', she mused about him yet again. After all, it is a firekeeper's job to tend to the flames.

She was now the flame and past firekeepers still tend to the flame to the best of their abilities. Even if it means burning up their souls.

Her stay had been prolonged for approximately a year. To a small spark like her, a soul of a fire keeper was a great source of fuel.

[Nick Fury POV]

He had been discovering some moles with his own organization. They were not very important, but it still made him suspicious causing him to poke around.

Just then, memories rushed into his brain. About a blond girl with a metal blindfold. How could he not remember her? And more importantly, why did he only remember now?

It seems that a visit to a church was in order. He drove over immediately. Once he arrives, he saw every single member of the avengers gathered for some reason.

It seems that he is not the only one with questions. He looked over and saw the firekeeper. She was sitting as peaceful as ever with a bonfire right in front her.

The heat of the fire in his impression, did not bother anybody. Of course, this did not bother him for some reason either.

'Due to the effects of magic', he thought to himself. He simply looked at the firekeeper.

"Do approach me for thou art welcome to stay beside the flames.", she said in her never changing ethereal voice. As if she would be gone by the next second. But it was still as firm as ever.

"I need some answers", he decided to probe before saying anything. It was to check whether she had any knowledge concerning his memories.

This was what everyone wanted to say as far as he sees with his single eye.

[Firekeeper POV]

"All that happened was a fault of mine. I was starting to fade before I regained myself. Do not despair for every one of you shall have no memories of me when I finally have my rest.".

"Well, why are accepting it? You could have told everyone.", said the captain his kindness as great as ever.

"We can help you, but we don't know how to help if you don't tell us what's wrong.", chimed in Stark as well. Even as he speaks, he appears to be thinking of solutions to whatever problems she had with his brain cursed with knowledge.

Yes, Stark was cursed. He was cursed with knowledge. That curse will draw everyone to him, but it is also what will cause everyone to leave him.

"Tell me what you need and Asgard shall assist you in any way we can", said Thor this time. He still seems to be grateful but lessening the sins of his brother.

"You save my life, and I will help however how I can.", said Barton looking solemn. More solemn than when he learnt of the fact that he was, but a mere puppet used by someone.

"It's okay Ms. Keeper, just tell us.", said Nat this time. They seemed to think that she was hiding her suffering from them. In reality, she simply did not know then.

Even when she knew of her problems, she did not see a point in telling them as they would forget once her borrowed time is up.

"It is a rather lengthy story", she asked for their confirmation once again.

"I could use a bit of story time after seeing what has happened", confirmed Nick Fury on their behalf.

"Very well then ....", she said as she starts her story. Of course, she told it from the very start.