Chapter 73

On the ship, they were preparing to land when everyone was arming themselves. After all, although it was one of the most crowded places in the Universe, it is also one of the most criminally populated place.

"Gamora. Do you know if these grenades are the "blow off your junk" kind or the gas kind? 'Cause I was thinking I might hang a couple on my belt right here. But I don't want to-", asked peter as he was looking at the grenades.

"I need to ask a favor."

"Yeah, sure."

"One way or another, the path that we're on leads to Thanos."

"Which is what the grenades are for. I'm sorry. What's the favor?"

"If things go wrong... If Thanos gets me... I want you to promise me... you'll kill me."

"What?", asked Quill more surprised than confused.

"I know something he doesn't. If he finds out... The entire Universe could be at risk."

"What do you know?"

"If I tell you, you'd know, too."

" If it's so important, shouldn't I?"

"Only if you wanna die"

"Why does somebody always have to die in this scenario?"

"Just... trust me. And possibly, kill me."

"I mean, I'd like to. I really would.. " Gamora then silenced him by covering his mouth with her hand.

"Swear to me. Swear to me on your mother."

"Okay."

They started kissing only to hear a crunch. Both turned around to see the entire ship staring at them.

"How long have you been standing there?"

"An hour." She noticed Drax standing for an hour too. But she reckoned that he must have been practicing being the next Nick Fury preparing for his entrance.

"An hour? Are you serious?"

"I've mastered the ability, of standing so incredibly still... That I've become invisible to the eye. Watch." He slowly started eating out of his bag.

"You're eating a zark nut."

"But my movement... So slow... And it's imperceptible."

"Hi, Drax" called out Mantis. He put down his snack and walked away in frustration shaking his head. Loki was judging him. She could tell clearly.

It was a strange episode. But, in fact she preferred being with the Guardians over the Avengers. The Avengers only stayed together and went on their own ways. They only gather for important things.

The guardians however, resembled a family, always together. They also held this charm that the Avengers did not hold. They look unbreakable from each other.

Eventually, they landed on the planet of Knowhere. It was currently in ruins. They entered the collection of the collector only to find Thanos threatening the collector. She went down with only the Guardians and left the rest of the crew behind.

"Everyone in the Galaxy knows you'd sell your own brother if you thought it would add the slightest trinket to your pathetic collection. I know you have the Reality Stone. Giving it to me will spare you a great deal of suffering."

"I told you. I sold it. Why would I lie?"

"I imagine it's like breathing for you."

"Like suicide."

"So you do understand. Not even you would surrender something so precious."

"I didn't know what it was."

"Then you're more of a fool than I took you for. Last chance, Tivan. Where's the Stone?"

"For Ovette. For Camaria.", muttered Drax under his breath. She reckoned it to be his wife and daughter. But, she threw a bunch of magic to calm him down. This was not the time to be reckless.

She was finding this way too easy, but she supposed that was reality.

She rushed straight at him and struck his leg. It came clean off. Had she known it would be this easy, she would have aimed for the neck but Gamora managed to beat her by stabbing her own father in the neck twice seemingly killing him.

'Was that it?', she thought to herself. Something was not right. This was way too easy.

" Is it sadness I sense in you, daughter? In my heart, I knew you still cared. But one ever knows for sure. Reality is often disappointing. That is, it was. Now... Reality can be whatever I want."

Thanos's disembodied voice fills the room, and the scene disappears- everything is leveled with flames burning everywhere. He had the reality stone in the palm of his hands. The good news however was that he had only one stone.

"You knew I'd come."

"I counted on it. There's something we need to discuss, little one."

"THANOS!", screamed Drax as he came running at the mad titan. He was destroyed with a flip of his palms or that is what would have happened if she wasn't here. She has already seen the reality stone.

Now, she could easily recognize the power of the stone and thus, create countermeasures against it. She shielded everyone there with flames as Drax continued his charge at Thanos.

Even without the stone, Drax could not hope to beat Thanos so, she pulled him back with a flaming whip. He tried to resist but she pressed her hand onto his head and caused him to go to sleep.

"Keeper, I have tolerated you so far but this is a family affair. Step aside."

"'You' tolerate 'me'?" She said it in the tongue of this world for more emphasis.

"I remember someone running like a dog with tails tugged behind. Yet, you tolerate me? Do not overestimate yourself, titan. Even with the stone, thou art far behind me."

She took out her scythe and struck it to the ground. Now, she was free to use her powers. After she wasn't fighting Yhorm anymore. Flames started coating her as she started burning.

Thanos was not at all bothered by the statement. He looked as stoic as ever.

Indeed, I retreated due to the fact that you had help. We could go at each other's throats right now. But I have a better proposal.

He took out a cup. It resembled a skull. No, it was a skull. There was an altar standing in the middle of the destruction that is the collection. He placed it upon the altar and disappeared.

And now she could feel reality itself distorting. It might be too soon, but she had a feeling she needed to summon Alduin for this.

Even though it was night, she could feel the lights go out. All the fire caused by Thanos faded away in an instant. Although she did not know how to describe it, she could physically feel it going dark. Something was coming for them.