Fate I

By kirariidol

In the far eastern continent laid the infamous, imperial Kou Empire. Its land stretched farther than any othe... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI
LVII
LVIII
LIX
LX
LXI
LXII
LXIII
LXIV
LXV
LXVI
LXVII
LXVIII
LXIX
LXX
LXXI
LXXII
LXXIII
LXXIV
LXXV
LXXVI
LXXVII
LXXVIII
LXXIX
LXXX
LXXXI
LXXXII
LXXXIII
LXXXIV
LXXXV
LXXXVI
LXXXVII
LXXXVIII
LXXXIX
XC
XCI
XCII
XCIII
XCIV
XCV
XCVI
XCVII
XCVIII
XCIX
C
CI
CII
CIII
CIV
CV
CVI
CVII
CVIII
CIX
CX
CXI
CXII
CXIII
CXIV
CXV
CXVI
CXVII
CXVIII
CXIX
CXX
CXXI
CXXII
CXXIII
CXXIV
CXXV
CXXVI
CXXVII
CXXVIII
CXXIX
CXXX
CXXXI
CXXXII
CXXXIII
CXXXIV
CXXXV
CXXXVI
CXXXVII
CXXXVIII
CXXXIX
CXL
CXLI
CXLII
CXLIII
CXLIV
CXLV
CXLVI
CXLVII
CXLVIII
CXLIX
CL
CLI
CLII
CLIII
CLIV
CLV
CLVI
CLVII
CLVIII
CLIX
CLX
CLXI
CLXII
CLXIII
CLXIV
CLXV
CLXVI
CLXVII
CLXVIII
CLXIX
CLXX
CLXXI
CLXXII
CLXXIII
CLXXIV
CLXXV
CLXXVI
CLXXVII
CLXXVIII
CLXXIX
CLXXX
CLXXXI
CLXXXII
CLXXXIII
CLXXXIV
CLXXXV
CLXXXVI
CLXXXVII
CLXXXVIII
CLXXXIX
CXC
CXCI
CXCII
CXCIII
CXCIV
CXCV
CXCVI
CXCVII
CXCVIII
CXCIX
CC

XL

674 26 7
By kirariidol

"Lucy-sama." 

Turning around, her snowy hair glistened softly in the sunlight with the wind creating a pleasant breeze, blowing her hair and dress. She wore a white, sleeveless dress with a gold circular patterned neckline. A gold band with the same design was situated at her waist with her knee-length dress and layers of white tulle accented with blue blossoming out. Large white roses lined the ends and a large, faint gold ribbon hung at the back of the band like wings. In her hand was a white rose parasol, the frills at the ends ruffling slightly as it provided shade from the sun. Her golden eyes shone softly as a smile appeared on her lips.

"Sebas." 

"The refreshments are ready." 

Lucy brightened up as she made her way to the table and closing her parasol, she set it to the side. Sebas smiled as he set the table, laying out numerous afternoon snacks and sweets which ranged from light sandwiches to macarons. 

"Today's tea is white tea," he poured a cup and set it down before her. "Please enjoy." 

"Sebas should join in, too," Lucy clapped her hands together.

"No. I am content with this position as my duty is to serve Lucy-sama," Sebas refused.

Lucy furrowed her brows and looked at her cup of tea with a downcast gaze. Sebas noticed her dejected expression and his eyes softened with warmth. She truly was too kind; that part of her hadn't changed at all and would surely never change.

"There's no need to feel bad, Lucy-sama," Sebas said. "I'm not one to partake in snacks or sweets. Besides, seeing you enjoy them is more than enough to please me. So please do not worry and enjoy them to your heart's content." 

"But..." Lucy began.

"If you're worried about me getting hunger, then there is no need to," Sebas returned. "I've trained myself as a butler to constrain my hunger so going without food for two weeks is no problem. Moreover, as a Dragonoid, I always eat a serving big enough for a group of people. On top of that, Lucy-sama always provides more than enough for this Sebas whether it be the meals given or the salary. That's why," he smiled softly, "Lucy-sama can enjoy her afternoon tea without worry." 

Looking at him with doubting eyes, she gave in. "If that's what Sebas wishes for," she gave a helpless smile.

His turquoise eyes shone with a gentle light as Lucy happily drank the tea that he prepared. Its aroma always compelled her to it and even though she had been praised for her tea before, what she made didn't even come close to Sebas's. 

"It's good that we managed to take a look around the palace yesterday on the day we came," Lucy said, placing the tea down. "What was Sebas's view of it?"  

"It's what's to be expected of the Great Priestess's Palace. The security is indeed tight. Even tighter than the Inner Palace," he remarked. 

Lucy nodded her head in agreement. "But despite that, it's great that they make sure not to be a bother." 

"Indeed," Sebas remarked.

She had been in the Grand Palace for a day but she had not seen a great number of guards or servants in the vicinity. Perhaps it was because of Scheherazade and Muu's order to not bother them and make them uncomfortable but nevertheless, she was grateful. 

Leaning back in her seat, she gazed up at the tree which shaded her from the sun, its leaves rustling ever-so-slightly in the wind. With a dazed look, she soon closed her eyes, breathing in the open, fresh scent of the air. For the first time, she felt truly relaxed. There was not a single worry that lingered in her mind and she quickly noted to herself that she should've taken a vacation earlier. 

"I," she began.

Sebas glanced at her.

"I'm becoming a blob," she chuckled as her figure turned into a slime, melting on the chair. 

Sebas remained stoic but even he couldn't help but fight back a chuckle. 

Even though it's only been a day since her arrival to the Reim Empire, she didn't mind continuing to be a blob for all three months. After all, the whole point of a vacation was to relax and sleep. Who had the time to sightsee? 

A golden wave poured through the area and Lucy sat there, bathing in the rays of light that streamed in through the openings in the leaves. Sounds of footsteps could be heard approaching and pulling the chair across from her, he sat down, taking a sip of the tea that was placed before him.

"You've gotten better at using the Celestial Archive's magic." 

"After practicing, it's gotten easier," she answered.

He smiled.

Kaede sat there with a pleasant smile on his lips as a breeze blew gently in the area. Yes, they were in the Reim Empire but it was a mirror copy of it that the Celestial Archive had acquired. Using dimensional space magic, Lucy was able to form a replica and the Celestial Archive took that magic and enhanced it, using it in place of its owner so she wouldn't need to expend any magoi. From the palace to the slightest details like the breeze, the scent, and others, it was an exact replica. She had done all this simply for the sake of spending time with him. 

Moreover, with this, she could spend more time with him without taking away from the time she spent in the real world. While they were here in the mirror world, time would be stopped on the other side. By combining space magic with time magic, she was able to create something that was deemed impossible. In fact, no one would ever think about using space and time magic in this way. Though, even if she managed to do it, it didn't mean others could. After all, space and time magic consumed large amounts of magoi from the user and with this advanced type of magic, it was enough to consume a tenth of her magoi which was why having her magic be connected to the Celestial Archive proved efficient for her. 

"Compared to a week ago, your complexion's gotten better," he said.

"Is that so?" Lucy perked up.

"Mn," he smiled. "Your skin's taken on a healthier look and it's glowing now. It's amazing what a day of vacation could do to the body." 

Lucy smiled happily with her cheeks cupped in her hands, unable to suppress her happiness from his compliment. She knew she was leading a rather unhealthy lifestyle given how late she stayed up and how little sleep she got and was beginning to grow conscious of her dry skin and hair. Even though the maids took great care of it, it still seemed too little. So for Kaede, who honestly spoke his opinions to say that, she was elated.

"But," she smiled, her eyes glowing softly with joy, "Kaede seems to also have relaxed a lot. You're no longer as tense as you used to be back in the Kou Empire."  

Kaede stopped drinking his tea and widened his eyes slightly. Looking up, he watched as Lucy drank her tea and catching his stare, she tilted her head. He remained silent before looking back down, looking at his reflection in the cup.

"Does it seem that way?" 

"Mn," she nodded her head. "Back in the Kou Empire, you've always looked on edge so," she smiled softly, "it's good to see you finally be able to relax." 

He widened his eyes and sure enough, she was right. He smiled and leaned back in his seat, gazing at the clear, blue sky overhead.

"Yeah," he closed his eyes. Because this way, I don't have to worry about anything happening.

Lucy didn't know anything about what was conspiring behind the scenes and the groundwork that Kaede was laying in case something did happen. The numerous possibilities and scenarios that he had come up were finally finished and he could finally breathe again. During these three months, he didn't need to worry about her interactions with Kouen and he could finally focus on just her. 

"So," he leaned forward, his eyes shining with excitement, "have you decided on where you'll be going?" 

"Not yet," Lucy replied with the same excitement. "But I had Sebas get me a map of the capital of the Reim Empire and some tourist guides. Of course," she smirked.

Kaede smirked as well as the two clapped hands, "it has to be food!" 

The two grinned happily as they voiced their opinion in agreement. Ever since traveling to the Imuchakk nation and getting a taste of their ethnic food, any time Lucy traveled outside the Forbidden City, she would make sure to get a taste of any common cuisine that was available. After all, though the luxurious meals that the palace chefs were great, there was something about commoner food that left a feeling of wanting more. Moreover, commoner food was a major definer of the country's culture. 

"Should we go here?" Lucy pointed at a restaurant.

"What about here?" Kaede pointed to another place. "It's a new restaurant that opened and I heard quite a few people talking about it when the rukh visited here." 

"Then let's do that!" 

"And after we go there, we can take a look around the food stalls. There are a lot of them at this time of year," he said. 

Lucy brightened up and nodded her head eagerly. 

Kaede smiled as a map of the Reim Empire appeared in thin air as a hologram. "We can also go up north after finishing looking around the capital. It isn't as cold as the Imuchakk nation but the scenery of its snowy mountains is just as gorgeous." 

"Looking at it, the territory of the Reim Empire is truly large," she remarked. "Despite its size, all of its citizens live prosperous lives. It's so different from the Kou Empire." 

Kaede glanced at her before looking at the map above.

"It's to be expected," Kaede noted. "Whereas the Kou Empire is a large empire, most of its territories are conquests of wars and consist of smaller nations. They simply pay tribute to the empire in exchange for its protection. But, the Reim Empire is different. Its land is made up of small groups of people who over the years assimilated into the Empire. As their people, the Reim Empire share their knowledge and technology with them and so, the entire nation is connected and reigned over by the Great Priestess Scheherazade." 

Lucy gave a smile. "It truly is different." 

"Yes," Kaede remarked. "The Kou Empire can never become like this." 

Lucy gazed at the large expanse of the territory of the Kou Empire. "Even though they're part of the Kou Empire, they are still separate tribal nations with their own culture. Assimilation is not to be forced and I'm sure His Majesty is aware of that," she smiled. "Thus, he decided to focus on military strength. By exercising their inhumane power, the territories will naturally obey and therefore, keep the Kou Empire unified." 

Kaede patted her on the head. "Indeed so." 

She gave a sad smile. "It's a shame that we can't achieve what the Reim Empire has." 

"Now that's where you're wrong."

"Eh?" 

"Even if they're individual territories, the fact that they revere the Kou Empire is irrefutable," Kaede pointed out. "You remember from our lessons that what makes the Emperor of the Kou Empire Emperor is his lineage and the power that has been granted to the Ren family, correct?" 

Lucy nodded her head.

"The same goes for the other nations. However, for them, that power was a vague concept and so, they believed that whoever held the greatest power was fit to be Emperor." 

"But because the previous Emperor and Koutoku managed to subdue them with the metal vessels granted to them by the Core of Heaven, they realized that the true Emperor is, in fact, one that is descended from Hiryuu, a member of the Ren family...?" Lucy finished.

Kaede smiled proudly. "Yes." 

Lucy stared at him. "Kaede really does know everything, huh?"

"Well, that's because I've traveled to more places than you and have seen the downfall of nations and transversed through the continuous flow of time," he said. "Though, only through the visuals that the rukh send." 

"Then that means that this time around, Kaede can see everything with his own eyes," Lucy grinned.

He widened his eyes before breaking out into a laugh, his violet-blue eyes shining like a galaxy of stars, twinkling as they reflected her. 

"Yeah," he grinned. "But more than that, I'll be able to see it all with you." 

Lucy perked up, her cheeks flushing red before she pulled her lips into a helpless smile. "Mn!" 

"Then," he reached out his hand, "it's a promise." 

Lucy stared at him before taking his hand without hesitation. Nodding her head, she laughed happily as he fastened his hold on her, the rukh fluttering around the two. A golden wave swept through the area, dispelling the mirror world as time began moving again.

Sebas blinked. "I shall repour the tea." 

"It's fine," Lucy stood up and Sebas stopped. Taking her parasol, she opened it and twirling it in her hands, she turned to face him. "I'll be taking a stroll around the palace for a bit." 

"Then I shall follow," he said.

"Mn," Lucy nodded her head. "Also," she said with a soft smile, "Sebas can take the week off next week." 

"But," he began.

"It'll be fine," she said. "So Sebas should enjoy himself as well." 

Sebas widened her eyes and seeing the way her eyes lit up with joy and the fond smile that settled upon her lips, he could tell that she truly wished for it. He had a feeling of what it was that she wanted to do. After all, since a few months after he had become her guard, he could feel it; the presence of a being who always stuck to her side without ever leaving — protecting her. Moreover, he could tell that she sincerely wished for him to dedicate some time to himself and indeed, it was about time he did. Since he, too, was a traveler at heart. Closing his eyes, he bowed. 

"Understood." 

Lucy walked towards him. "Make sure you have fun," she said. "Since these three years have been hard for you as well." 

He smiled. "Not at all." 

"There you go saying that again," she pouted.

"I'm merely saying the truth," he said with a chuckle. "Lucy-sama, nothing brings me more joy than being able to stay by your side and serve you. And," he softened his eyes, "I'm sure that says the same for everyone around you. Including the rukh." 

The rukh fluttered favorably around her in hordes as he said that and holding up a hand, they rested on her palm and she smiled softly. 

"Yes." 

"Then let's stroll around the palace," Sebas said, cleaning up the sweets and tea with a flick of his fingers. "It's waste not to enjoy this nice weather and I'm sure that Scheherazade-sama and Muu-sama have finished their paperwork for today." 

Lucy brightened up but quickly wore a disheartened look. "Is it okay if I visit though...?" 

Sebas stared at her before picking her up in his arms. "I'm sure it'll be fine." 

"Really?" 

"Really. I swear upon my name, Sebas Tian." 

At that, Lucy gave a small smile and Sebas softened his eyes. She was still so selfless. When it came to business, she was always direct and open for it concerned others but as soon as it came to her own wants and desires, she immediately holed up and became anxious of everything. After losing her parents, she made sure not to be scorned by others for even now, she feared of being abandoned. 

And that part of her was what he feared.

He wouldn't be able to continue being by her side and accompany her until the end which was why he wished that there was someone out there who could stay by her side and be there for her whenever she needed them. A person who wouldn't abandon her for anything. And, he was sure that that wish of his had been granted long ago.

The rukh fluttered by Lucy's side as the faint presence of the being he felt before appeared again. He glanced behind him and Kaede flinched a bit. But, Sebas looked away and looked at Lucy who sat cheerfully in his arms. 

I leave Lucy-sama to you.

Kaede read his thoughts and furrowed his brows. "I didn't think he would actually be able to sense me," he sighed before pulling his lips into a smirk, his eyes dark with resolve. "Without saying, I'll definitely protect Lucy. Even if it means defying the Heavens." 

A breeze blew as the wheels of fate continued to turn but this time, it soon slowed down, churning at a steady pace as if to give them this small moment of happiness that would soon disappear in the moments of despair that would soon follow in the future. 

Meanwhile~

"Lucy-sama, did you mention to their Imperial Highnesses that you would be taking a break?" Sebas asked.

"Ah!" Lucy jumped. "I forgot..." 

Sebas stared at her with shocked eyes and a gaping mouth before turning away with a sigh, already guessing how it would turn out. Lucy trembled in his arms as she moved her hands about in the air. 

"W-What should we do? I-It should be fine, right?" she gave a nervous chuckle.

"I-I think so," Sebas answered, unsure of it himself. "Since His Majesty and Her Majesty are there, I suppose it'll be fine."

"T-That's right!" Lucy exclaimed, trying her hardest to convince herself. "It'll be alright!" 

But deep down, the two knew what the answer was.

It'll be anything but alright. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.5K 2.3K 19
A Fairy Tail FanFiction~ Princess Lucy. King Natsu. Both had exceeding power. Both were after the other. When Natsu was a child, King Igneel's reign...
66.1K 1.6K 18
Lira Blackwell she was having an average life as a maid, till the day she met the 3rd prince, Kouha Ren of the Kou Empire. The moment she knocked on...
376K 10.5K 49
Natsu is the richest in his country. He rules Dragneel inc. Kind is how he grew up. Cold is what he became. He has his moments, yet one wrong thing c...
159K 5.2K 25
Lucy was only nine years old when she slaughtered not only her nightmarish parents, but incidentally her entire village in a blood thirsty rampage. O...