Back to Where We Started From...

By songbird_kisses

It's 1979, and Julia Brooks is living the high life as a rockstar in California. After a particularly crazy n... More

Introduction
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty-One
Chapter Eighty-Two
Chapter Eighty-Three
Chapter Eighty-Four
Chapter Eighty-Five
Chapter Eighty-Six
Chapter Eighty-Seven
Chapter Eighty-Eight
Chapter Eighty-Nine
Chapter Ninety
Chapter Ninety-One
Chapter Ninety-Two
Chapter Ninety-Three
Chapter Ninety-Four
Chapter Ninety-Five
Chapter Ninety-Six
Chapter Ninety-Seven
Chapter Ninety-Eight
Chapter Ninety-Nine
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103

Chapter Thirty-Two

913 23 12
By songbird_kisses

"10-1! Can you believe that?" Silky laughed as the team got back to their hotel. After a win in Salt Lake City, the team had traveled to Colorado Springs, where they had just beat Colorado College.

"Not that I don't love when you guys win, but it is a little bit boring when you beat someone 10-1," Julie laughed as they walked through the lobby.

"Our bad, princess," Silky rolled his eyes and chuckled. "Next time we'll make sure it's a closer game so you'll be more entertained."

"Thank you, that's all I ask."

Silky laughed again before glancing around to make sure no one was within earshot and lowering his voice.

"I'm sorry that OC is giving you such a rough time, Julie."

"It's okay," she shrugged. "I don't really get him, but I'll be fine."

"No one gets him. He can be a real pain in the ass," Silky assured her.

"I'm sure he says the same thing about me," Julie countered with a smirk. The two of them sped up to catch the elevator with Neal, Bill, Phil, and Rammer.

"Jules, are you coming out with us to celebrate?" Rammer asked hopefully.

"Don't I always? Of course I'm coming," she smiled. Everyone had made plans to meet back in the lobby in twenty minutes, before making their way to their rooms. Julie was excited to go out and have fun with the boys, but she couldn't deny that she was dreading seeing Jack. She knew he wouldn't skip a night out with the boys, no matter how awkward he was around her. They had been fairly successful in avoiding each other, or at least being in a big enough group to not have to speak to each other. She was sure that being at a bar with all their friends would be enough to keep the two of them from fighting for a night.

As she freshened up, she couldn't help but think about the night they talked in his car. She didn't know why her stomach twisted in knots when he said he didn't like her, but his words rang through her head. Maybe it was that proclamation of his playing over and over in her head that subconsciously drove Julie to put on her favorite red lipstick. She fluffed and fixed her curled hair, giving it extra volume. She wasn't sure why she had packed a cute black skirt and a red low-cut top, but she was happy to have them. She grinned to herself as she got dressed, smiling at her reflection. She spritzed on her perfume and grabbed her purse, heading downstairs to meet the boys.

"She always takes forever to get ready," Rob groaned when Rizzo asked where Julie was. About half the team had gone ahead to get tables and drinks, while Robbie and Rizzo waited for Julia. When the boys heard the shrill ding of the elevator, their eyes turned to see an especially dolled-up Julia flouncing toward them.

"Uh...you look nice," Robbie told her when she approached them, though he was obviously confused. It wasn't unlike Julia to have her hair and makeup done, but the outfit was a little revealing for a night out with the boys.

"Thanks. I just felt like doing a little something extra for myself," she shrugged. Robbie looked her up and down, before looking at her.

"You're going to be freezing, do you wanna go grab a coat?"

"I'll be fine," she shrugged, walking towards the hotel doors. Robbie and Rizzo shared an exasperated look, but followed her out anyway. Julie was more than pleased with herself. No matter how much she told herself that she was dolled up just for herself, she secretly couldn't wait to see Jack's face when he saw her looking like something out of a magazine. Robbie, of course, was intuitive enough to see right through her facade. He knew exactly what she was doing, which was essentially teasing Jack. He could only hope that the night wouldn't end in a disaster.

Once they made it to the bar, they entered quickly in hopes of finding their friends. Jack was at the bar getting a beer when they walked in. His breath hitched in his chest when his eyes landed on Julia. She looked amazing, but in a way that was even more dangerous and glamorous than usual. It was going to be a long night. He chugged the beer the bartender handed him, immediately ordering another beer, along with a shot.

"Jules! You look good!" An already tipsy Mark exclaimed when the stragglers greeted their friends.

"Thanks, Magic," Julie smiled, squeezing into a booth beside him with Robbie on the other side of her. Mark poured her a glass of beer from a pitcher on the table.

"Are you ready for a fun night?" He asked with a mischievous smile. Right as Julie was about to respond with an enthusiastic yes, she caught a glimpse of Jack leaning against the bar. He looked cool and totally aloof, like he wasn't even aware of her sitting there. Julie didn't let herself look at him for too long before she turned her attention back to Mark.

"I need a fun night. Nothing is going to ruin it," she promised, raising her glass of beer, which he tapped with his glass before they both took long drinks. Jack glanced over to see if Julie had even noticed him yet. When the bartender put the beer and the shot down in front of him, he downed the shot, cringing a little at the way it burned, before making his way back to the cluster of tables the team was taking up. He took an open seat, which happened to be across from Julia. She glanced up as he sat down, the two of them making quick eye contact. They both looked away just as quickly, their faces heating up. None of the boys were even really sure how this situation had come to be, but they knew that the longer Julie and Jack ignored each other, the more awkward it was for everyone.

The tension disappeared as quickly as it had appeared, when the boys started talking about the game earlier. Soon everyone was laughing and joking around, even Jack and Julia. Jack was especially loosening up with the help of several more beers. Everyone was getting a little tipsy and their laughter was getting louder.

"I need another," Jack said, pushing back from the table and standing up. He looked to the table and saw the empty pitcher Mark and Julie had shared. "Another pitcher?"

"Hell yeah," Mark grinned, making Julie laugh with his enthusiasm. She reached into her purse and pulled out some money, reaching across the table to hand it to Jack.

"This round's on me," she told him as he took the money. He nodded, taking the money and going up to the bar.

"Seems like everything's going okay with you and OC," Robbie said quietly to his friend.

"Yeah, it's not too bad," Julie shrugged, though her mind seemed far off. She was so zoned out that she didn't even hear the question Robbie asked her.

"Sorry, what?" She asked, looking at her friend.

"I asked if you've talked to David while we've been gone?"

"Oh. No, I was just gonna call him when we get home," she said unenthusiastically.

"Are you okay?" Robbie asked with an eyebrow raised.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just-"

Julie stopped talking, her mouth falling open slightly. There at the bar was Jack with a pretty blonde girl standing a little too close to him, laughing at something he said. Robbie followed her gaze and saw what she was staring at. He glanced back to Julie, who shut her mouth and now had a blank look on her face. He waited, not knowing what to say. If there was ever a question about her feelings about Jack, the answer was becoming painfully obvious as she watched him smile at the girl. He used a hand to brush the hair from his face, giving her the same charming smirk that he had given Julia too many times to count. The girl moved closer, placing a hand on Jack's arm.

"I'm gonna be sick," Julie muttered, rolling her eyes at the scene. Rizzo and Mark looked up and noticed the exchange, sharing worried looks.

"He's just drunk," Rizzo assured her. "I'm sure he doesn't even like her."

"I don't care if he likes her," Julie scoffed. "Jack can do whatever he wants. I don't like Jack. Plus I have David. I just think it's disgusting how they're all over each other like that."

"Do you want to go back to the hotel?" Robbie offered.

"Not at all," she insisted, turning to look at Jack, who now had a hand on the girl's waist. "But I do want the beer I just gave that idiot money for."

She started to get up, determined to go get her money back from Jack and get the beer herself, but Robbie and Mark both pulled her back into the booth.

"I'll go get it, Jules," Rizzo insisted, getting up and walking toward the bar. Julie glared after him, watching as he ignored Jack, waiting for a bartender to help him. It was quiet as Rizzo got them a couple pitchers and returned to the table. She tried to ignore Jack for as long as she could, making it through another glass of beer with the boys.

"He's buying that tramp a drink with the ten I just gave him," she gasped after a few minutes, looking to where Jack was paying for two drinks. "That's it I'm-"

"We're going back to the hotel," Robbie declared quickly, grabbing her arm.

"I shouldn't have to leave because he's being an asshole," Julie argued, glaring at Robbie.

"We'll go with you. I'm not even having that much fun," Rizzo told her, on board with Robbie to avoid a conflict.

"Yeah, I don't wanna stay here and watch Jack flirt with some stupid girl. She's not even as pretty as you, Jules," Mark assured her.

"I don't care if he flirts with her!" Julie snapped, a little too loudly. It wasn't enough to get Jack's attention, but it definitely made all the boys turn and look at her with pity. Her face flushed a bright pink and her eyes widened.

"I just mean that I don't care what he does. It's just that he was supposed to get beer for us and instead he's buying some random girl a drink," Julie explained, but the boys all saw right through her. She stared down at the table, and it looked like she was on the verge of tears. No one spoke for a few minutes, until they heard giggling approaching them. Rizzo and Robbie sighed, knowing all of their efforts to keep the night peaceful were about to be destroyed.

"Everyone, this is Jenny," Jack said, holding the hand of the blonde girl. The boys glanced between Jack and Julie, waiting to see what would happen next.

"Hi," the blonde girl squeaked, smiling widely at them. She had long, shiny blonde hair, fair skin, and amber brown eyes. She had a sunny smile and wore a flowery blue dress.

A couple of the boys called out greetings to the girl as Jack pulled a chair up beside him, holding it out for Jenny. She took a seat, looking over at Julia with a shy smile.

"Jules, Jenny is a big fan," Jack told Julie, talking to her like nothing was wrong. Julie tried her best to give the girl a smile. After all, it wasn't Jenny's fault that Jack was being a jerk. Not to mention, he was obviously drunk. Drunker than Julie had ever seen him.

"Thanks, Jenny. That's really sweet," Julie told her, before chugging back more of her beer. "How nice of Jack to introduce us."

"Isn't he a sweetheart?" Jenny cooed.

"Oh, the sweetest," Julie smiled. Jenny didn't catch onto the sarcasm dripping from her words, or the fake smile plastered on her face. "He's so friendly, too. One minute he goes to get us beer, and twenty minutes later he comes back with a blonde girl and no beer."

The boys could feel the tension growing. Robbie put a hand on Julie's hand underneath the table. Even Jenny seemed to catch the snarkiness of Julie's comment, and she laughed uncomfortably. Jack glared at Julie, wrapping an arm around the back of Jenny's chair.

"Jenny works at a record store, too. Not unlike someone else we know," Jack said, before turning to Jenny. "Julie's boyfriend works at a record store in Minneapolis."

"You have a boyfriend?" Jenny asked, clearly trying her best to make conversation.

"I wouldn't say boyfriend," Julie said shortly.

"You wouldn't? But you were so into him," Jack pointed out with an arrogant smirk.

"Like you know what I'm into," Julie said with an attitude, tossing her hair over her shoulder.

"I should go," Jenny decided, standing up from her chair.

"No, you don't have to go," Jack frowned, taking a second longer than he should have to stand up.

"Really, it's okay. I have to get back to my friends. It was nice to meet you all," Jenny waved awkwardly before walking away quickly. Jack plopped ungracefully into his seat, glaring at Julia.

"Thanks a lot. Do you always have to be so damn defensive? Just say he's your boyfriend."

"He's not my boyfriend," Julie told him flatly, taking deep breaths. Now that Jenny was gone, Julie felt like the weight of the situation was hitting her.

"We're going back to the hotel," Robbie decided, grabbing Julie's hand. For the first time Julie didn't argue, she just let him lead her out of the booth. Rizzo and Mark followed out after them. She let a few stray tears fall as they made their way back to the hotel.

"I was a total bitch, wasn't I?" Julie cried as they walked.

"You weren't a total bitch. But this entire situation between you and OC is really getting out of hand," Robbie sighed, wrapping an arm around her after noticing she was shivering. "I told you to get a coat."

"I don't know why he'd bring that girl over," she whined quietly. "I don't know why I care that he brought that girl over."

"Probably the same reason Jack doesn't like talking about David," Rizzo told her quietly. She looked over to him, all of her suspicions being washed away by the look in his eyes. No one said anything the rest of the walk back to the hotel.

"OC, where are you going?" Silky groaned when he got Jack off the elevator. Silky and Jimmy had given Julia, Robbie, Mark, and Rizzo plenty of time to get back before deciding to get Jack back to the hotel.

"I have to talk to Jules," Jack told them, knocking loudly on her hotel room door. Jimmy and Silky both sighed before rolling their eyes.

"I don't care what he does anymore," Silky said, as the two of them headed to their rooms. A few seconds later, Julia pulled the door open. She had taken off her makeup, and she wore a University of Minnesota t-shirt with shorts. She looked shocked to see Jack.

"What are you doing?" She asked him, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Can I come in? I think we should talk," he told her, leaning against the door frame. Julie just stared at him for a second before she turned and walked back into her hotel room, leaving the door open behind her. Jack followed her in, closing the door and sitting beside her on her bed. They fell into the awkward silence that always seemed to plague them.

"Sorry I ruined your little date," Julie said almost sarcastically.

"No, you're not," Jack smirked.

"Well, why'd you bring her over to us?" Julie questioned, staring at the diamond pattern on the carpet.

"She noticed you sitting there, she said she was a fan," Jack defended himself.

"And after us not speaking to each other for days you thought you could just use me to help you get some girl into your bed?" Julie snapped.

"First of all, it wasn't like that. And I didn't know you were gonna be so mean to her. Why were you mean to her?" Jack was slurring his words a little bit, but the two of them were aware enough to keep their voices down.

"Why are you mean to me?" Julie countered, raising an eyebrow.

"I was nice to David when I met him, and you couldn't be nice to Jenny?" Jack pointed out, ignoring her question.

"Rizzo says you don't like David," Julie said quietly, turning her head to look at Jack. He stared back at her, his mouth falling open. They looked at each other for a long minute.

"Jules," he sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "What are we doing?"

"I...don't know? Do you not like David?" She asked him, looking up at him. He just looked at her, his eyes travelling her face. He ignored her question again.

"Why'd you show up to the bar looking like that? My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw you," he mumbled.

"Until they landed on Jenny," she whispered sadly. Jack reached up, cupping her cheek in his hand. Julie took in a sharp breath, but she let him keep his hand there.

"She didn't have a thing on you," he told her quietly. Julie looked up at him, tears welling up in her eyes.

"I hate when we fight," she sighed.

"I do, too. I'm sorry," he said quietly.

"I'm sorry, too, Jack."

They looked at each other for a long second, and Julie swore she saw him glance down at her lips. She sat still, waiting for him to do something. Right as Jack leaned in, there was a knock at the door.

"Let's go, OC," Silky called from the other side. They pulled away from each other quickly, and in an instant Jack was out the door.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28K 623 21
BOOK TWO TO LUCKY STAR Kendall's moved to LA, living with new people, starting school soon and working to save money. Jamie's still healing and prepp...
38.9K 644 18
She misses them and they miss her. It's hard keeping in contact with someone who lives halfway across the world. They spent seven months apart, now r...
2K 45 12
In which we follow the adventures of Y/n as she loves the 1980 Olympic Hockey Team x Reader Requests: Open!
8.8K 52 9
(THIS BOOK IS CRAP!! DONT READ IT UNLESS YOU LIKE CRAPPY FANFICS!!) When Alyssa gets chosen to go play for team U.S.A, she makes new friends and play...