Fate I

By kirariidol

In the far eastern continent laid the infamous, imperial Kou Empire. Its land stretched farther than any othe... More

I
II
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI
LVII
LVIII
LIX
LX
LXI
LXII
LXIII
LXIV
LXV
LXVI
LXVII
LXVIII
LXIX
LXX
LXXI
LXXII
LXXIII
LXXIV
LXXV
LXXVI
LXXVII
LXXVIII
LXXIX
LXXX
LXXXI
LXXXII
LXXXIII
LXXXIV
LXXXV
LXXXVI
LXXXVII
LXXXVIII
LXXXIX
XC
XCI
XCII
XCIII
XCIV
XCV
XCVI
XCVII
XCVIII
XCIX
C
CI
CII
CIII
CIV
CV
CVI
CVII
CVIII
CIX
CX
CXI
CXII
CXIII
CXIV
CXV
CXVI
CXVII
CXVIII
CXIX
CXX
CXXI
CXXII
CXXIII
CXXIV
CXXV
CXXVI
CXXVII
CXXVIII
CXXIX
CXXX
CXXXI
CXXXII
CXXXIII
CXXXIV
CXXXV
CXXXVI
CXXXVII
CXXXVIII
CXXXIX
CXL
CXLI
CXLII
CXLIII
CXLIV
CXLV
CXLVI
CXLVII
CXLVIII
CXLIX
CL
CLI
CLII
CLIII
CLIV
CLV
CLVI
CLVII
CLVIII
CLIX
CLX
CLXI
CLXII
CLXIII
CLXIV
CLXV
CLXVI
CLXVII
CLXVIII
CLXIX
CLXX
CLXXI
CLXXII
CLXXIII
CLXXIV
CLXXV
CLXXVI
CLXXVII
CLXXVIII
CLXXIX
CLXXX
CLXXXI
CLXXXII
CLXXXIII
CLXXXIV
CLXXXV
CLXXXVI
CLXXXVII
CLXXXVIII
CLXXXIX
CXC
CXCI
CXCII
CXCIII
CXCIV
CXCV
CXCVI
CXCVII
CXCVIII
CXCIX
CC

III

1.7K 57 10
By kirariidol

Three days later~

"Amazing," Koutoku widened his eyes in profound shock. "Did the two of them really write such a proposal?"

"Is something the matter, Father Emperor?" Kouen asked.

"Read this, Kouen," he handed him the scroll. "This was the proposal submitted by Koumei and Lucy a few days ago. I thought that it would merely have a few insightful ideas that they had researched about with the evidence of the drought patterns but I didn't think that it would actually be a proposal and with such intuitiveness. It's an absolute genius."

Kouen was speculative but it was the first time he heard Koutoku praise someone to this much of a degree. He unrolled the scroll and looked it over and upon reading the proposed idea and information stated, he widened his eyes. If anyone had said that it was an idea drawn up by two mere children, no one would believe it. But, it was indeed Koumei's handwriting and he looked to Koutoku in complete shock who only nodded his head in agreement.

"From the way it's written and the handwriting of the paper, it is undoubtedly Koumei who had prepared and written this proposal," Koutoku remarked as he took the scroll back and scanned it over again. "But, from what I've known, Koumei wouldn't be able to come up with such a genius idea so quickly and if anything, he probably would've first proposed forming an emergency organization and figure out what measures they would take in the provinces and counties to combat the drought and then think about where they would attain the finances after the national treasury funds run out."

"Agreed."

"Moreover, the way this information is organized and encompassed into this proposal isn't the usual way in which Koumei sets it up," he tapped the back of his hand on the scroll. "To be able to format the information in such a way and coordinate it so nicely and perfectly to the ideas written here, there aren't any faults to be pointed out. Everything is concise to the point and anyone can tell whoever formatted this is confident in their idea that it'll work," Koutoku looked to Kouen. "This proposal is definitely not Koumei's alone."

"Which means that it must be her."

Koutoku nodded his head. "Lucy Heartfilia."

She was young but without a doubt, she was a genius. She was a being shrouded in mystery whose existence had just been announced to the public a week ago and from what he had seen at the spring banquet, she was an extraordinary child whose abilities exceeded even the most skilled of masters. Not only that, those authoritarian eyes that seemed to glimmer with power struck him. They weren't eyes that belonged to a child but rather, someone who was certain of the future and of their abilities to continue abiding by that future. With Koumei's sharp comprehension skills and manipulative way with words and Lucy's brilliance and perception, the two were indeed a fearful pair and Koutoku could only wonder how exceptional the two would become in the future. They were indeed a match made by the heavens itself.

Moreover, Koutoku had seen Koumei's research in magic and if he had been born a little bit earlier, he would've without a doubt made the Kou Empire the leading militaristic nation and unified the whole world under his reign. He hadn't thought much about Koumei's intellect but as that thought crossed his mind, he realized just how fearful Koumei could be and with Lucy by his side, the two were formidable forces. If they happened to wish to take the throne in the future, it wouldn't be entirely impossible.

"Such a thing won't happen," Kouen said as if reading Koutoku's thoughts. "I know it."

Koutoku stared at his son before giving a soft laugh. "In this cruel and cold-hearted Inner Palace, I wonder how the relationship between my Imperial children would turn out but seeing all of you guys have such a close and trusting relationship," he smiled, "it's one to be envious of."

Kouen looked at his father who went back to scanning over the document in his hand with a nostalgic yet sorrowful gaze. Back then, the only sibling he had ever been close with was Hakutaku and the fight for the throne was a bloody one in which almost all of his siblings had been killed off. The only person he had left at the end of the fight was Hakutaku but even he had left him for war. Looking down at his hand, he wondered if in the future he would lose everything that he held precious to him. Lucy's smile from the night before flashed across his mind. Clenching his hand, he narrowed his eyes. No, such a thing won't happen. He wouldn't let it happen.

"Anyhow, those two are indeed remarkable," Koutoku stated and rolled the scroll back up. "To not reward them for such brilliance would be unspeakable."

"What does Father Emperor wish to award them with?"

Kouen asked such a question for he remembered how when he had finished his first campaign at the young age of eleven, Koutoku had gifted him the renowned twin swords: Kanshou and Bakuya — an artifact that was thought to have been lost through time and it was those very two swords that he was granted along with his own battalion and his own manor. Koutoku was always the type to gift extravagantly to people who he deemed worthy and in this case, he was sure that it would be the same. After all, regardless of what they had accomplished — whether menial or not — they were one of the few children that Koutoku doted on and in particular, was Lucy. As the daughter of Layla who he once had loved until he met the Empress, he viewed her as his own child and if not, loved her more than his own children.

"Good question," Koutoku gave a smile as he sat back in his seat. "What do you think should be gifted to them?"

"That is up to Father Emperor to decide," Kouen said. "However, knowing Koumei, he would be happy with anything related to new books or scrolls or...," he suddenly remembered something as he cupped a chin.

"Or?" Koutoku raised an eyebrow,

"Recently, he's become interested in pigeons," Kouen looked up.

Koutoku blinked his eyes. "Pigeons?"

"Yes. Pigeons."

Silence ensued before Koutoku burst into laughter as he slammed the arm of his throne for a good while, tears in his eyes. Koumei was indeed a genius and though he was aware that he was a shut-in, he always happened to amuse him with the most interesting stuff. This time, it was pigeons.

"I see, pigeons, huh?" Koutoku laughed. "Then I shall construct a garden for him in his palace hall and release pigeons there."

Kouen smiled and closed his eyes. "As Father Emperor wishes."

"Since Koumei's reward has been dealt with, it then leaves us with her," he mused to himself. "What do you think we should award her with? Lucy Heartfilia, the prized and treasured daughter of Jude and Layla Heartfilia."

Kouen stopped and looked at his father and even as a child, he understood the look in his father's eyes. He was fond of Layla not as a friend but something more than that. But, he was aware of what he could attain and could not attain and more than that, he didn't want to break his relation with Jude, the one person who truly treated him like any other human being. It was no wonder why he held Lucy dearly just like the Empress. As an Emperor, he might value her talents and skills but as just Koutoku, he treasured her even more than his own daughters who he rarely cared for. He was aware of his own daughters' personalities — which were spitting images of their mothers — to which only Kougyoku was the only princess he allowed to approach. But, Lucy was different from them. She had a fresh personality and was like a bright ball of sunshine, untainted by the dirty and ugly schemes of the palace. In the Forbidden City, her type of person was a rare existence.

Kouen softened his eyes as he remembered how clearly her brown eyes shone.

"She is indeed treasured," he said with fondness.

Koutoku glanced at his son and narrowed his eyes. Among his children, Kouen was the most similar to him and the one who he understood the best. The expression in his eyes was more than enough to tell him what he was thinking about right now and what he felt about Lucy. To him who faced the most schemes as a child, he had grown up surrounded by lies and fake smiles so he could see why Lucy drew him in. But, in his eyes, this was merely a childish crush. And even if it did turn into a sincere and genuine one, he would never be able to attain her. This would be his lesson to him as the next Emperor of the Kou Empire.

"As she is a girl, maybe gifting her gold, jewels, or rolls of luxurious silk cloth would be suitable," Koutoku stroked his beard. "Your mother seemed to like those very much."

"As she had been a mere consort at the time, any gift from the Emperor would be more than enough," Kouen said. "You are the Emperor of the Kou Empire, one who controls the vast land and skies. There isn't a single person who would not appreciate the gifts you bestow upon them."

Koutoku smirked. "It seems that you've taken upon flattery."

"Not in the slightest. I'm merely saying the truth."

"So even if I give a cockroach to you, you'll be happy?"

"T-That..." Kouen paled for if there was one thing he detested, it were bugs.

Just the thought of those small insects with numerous legs crawling about made his skin crawl and shiver. He just couldn't bear the thought of being close to something like that, nevertheless, take care of one. Koutoku burst out in laughter at seeing his son's uncomfortable face and it was only at the mention of bugs did Kouen ever change that expressionless face of his.

"F-Forgive me for my rudeness."

Koutoku laughed but soon calmed down. "Of course, I wouldn't go as far as to give someone a cockroach out of spite. Though, I have a feeling that Lucy would be happy with anything really."

"I doubt she'd like bugs."

"You never know," Koutoku grinned. "Jude's not a big fan of bugs but Layla is a different story. I still remember that time when she found a stag beetle and brought it into the Empress's palace."

Kouen paled and Koutoku laughed. He still remembered that day as if it were yesterday. Having brought the stag beetle in and placed it in front of the Empress's face, she immediately paled at the sight of it and flung it to the side with her sleeve by accident and Kouen — who was still a child at that time — had the fortune of having it land right on his face. Of course, he fainted right on the spot.

Come to think of it, maybe that's why he's so scared of bugs now.

"Enough joking around," he said and tapped the armrest of his chair. "What would be a suitable gift for her?"

"Mother Empress has already given her the Phoenix Zither and you have also seen her expression that day," Kouen said.

"Mnnn," Koutoku furrowed his brows. "I don't think anything would compare to it. That Empress...she really knows how to choose gifts and how to please people."

Kouen smiled. The two were still as loving and playful as they had been in the past.

"Something that would at least be able to compare to the Phoenix Zither..." Koutoku pondered over the thought with frustration. "Maybe it's better to ask a girl what she wants. Should we call Kougyoku in? It has been a while since I've last seen her."

"She's most likely holed herself inside of her palace."

Koutoku narrowed his eyes. "Is she still like that?"

Kouen nodded his head. "It can't be helped since the servants around her have constantly held a condescending attitude towards her birth. Even by executing those servants, replacing them, and granting her mother the status of an imperial concubine, it's not so easy to change what has been grounded into a child's mind."

Koutoku sighed. "You have a point."

"But, she has become better now compared to when I first saw her," Kouen smiled softly. "I think Lucy might have had quite the effect on her."

"Hoo?" Koutoku raised an eyebrow. "Now isn't that something?"

Kouen remained silent and sipped his cup of tea. To Kougyoku, being near Lucy might be a double-edged sword but he highly doubted that his sister would choose to shrivel back. After all, Kouen's eyes glinted red, she had the blood of the Ren family flowing through her. That was an undeniable fact.

"But, it be best that we don't call her for a while," Kouen looked at his father. "It hasn't been long since the last banquet."

"That's true," Koutoku reasoned before glooming. "Then I guess I just have to ask the Empress."

Kouen drank his tea.

Koutoku looked at his son before asking a question. "Then if you had to decide, what would you give her?"

He spat his tea out and Koutoku looked at his son.

"F-Father?!" he held an arm up, covering his embarrassed face.

"Kouen," his father stared at him with blank eyes. "That was disgusting."

"A-Apologies, Father Emperor," Kouen hung his head in dejection. "But what was that question just now?"

"You'll one day also be the Ruler of the Heavens and take my position as Emperor of the Kou Empire, it's natural for you to learn what gift to give and how much to give," Koutoku said. "Just one gift can change how your subject views you and it is your responsibility to make sure to be cruel yet just."

Kouen nodded his head. "I understand."

"Good," Koutoku remarked. "So, what would you gift her?"

"We're back to that question?" a bead of sweat rolled down his face.

"Of course."

"Even if you ask me, I'm afraid that I won't be able to give you a proper answer as Lucy and I had merely met only a few days ago."

"That's fine," Koutoku waved his hand. "I want to hear it."

"Then," Kouen was hesitant as he met his father's eyes. "Maybe the new product that the Prism Diamond fabric, clothing store had released? It's a stuffed bunny where you can furnish it with various types of clothing and accessories. I heard it's been rather popular among the daughters of the nobles these days."

"So you did have a decent idea," Koutoku smirked. "I'm surprised you were aware of it."

Kouen averted his gaze. "Kougyoku had mentioned it once so if truth be told, it would be her idea."

"I see," Koutoku thought about it. "But Kouen, what's the point in giving her a product that is under the Heartfilia's management."

"That's," Kouen flinched a bit, having not realized.

One could already tell from the name that it must be a merchant from the west that had opened such a shop, despite it housing all sorts of luxurious, eastern-styled fabric and clothing. Most of the merchants that opened business here were under the Merchant Guild which was controlled by the Heartfilia family. Koutoku smiled and if there was one flaw about his son, it would be his complete unawareness of women's likes and dislikes.

"Then l guess it's decided."

"Huh?"

"Steward To," Koutoku called for his personal servant. "I have a task for you. Go down to that merchant store and ask for two original designs regarding that new product. You know what to do."

"Of course, Emperor."

Hearing his command, Steward To swiftly left for after having accompanied Koutoku since he was small, he had come to understood Koutoku's thoughts just by observing his small actions. Among the Palace, only he did Koutoku trust for he knew that he would never betray him. Such a man was rare to come by in the Palace where servants constantly changed masters depending on the greatest number of benefits that they would bring to them. He was a sincere man and the only thing Koutoku regretted was not having been able to give him a family for all men who entered the Palace as servants were castrated. It was a shame. He would've made a great father. A father even better than him for even he could see that Steward To meant more to his children than maybe even he himself seeing how often he took care of them in his absence.

"I'm surprised he hasn't retired yet," Kouen remarked.

"Well, besides the Palace, where else can he go?" Koutoku looked to where he left, his eyes blank.

Kouen looked at his father before down at the floor. Steward To had no family which was one of the major factors that made him a desired and loyal servant. Being in the Palace by the Emperor's side was much safer for him than compared to outside where he could, at any moment, be taken by those who wished to harm the Emperor. Needless to say, Steward To would never reveal anything but because of that, he would die mercilessly. By continuing to serve Koutoku, he was under his protection and no one would dare harm one of Koutoku's vassals.

"But, if he were to be released from the castle, he would probably live a decent life well until he dies of old age," Koutoku smirked. "You really can't judge people by their appearances."

The edge of his lips pulled into a small smirk. "Indeed. There are just too many people who can't be judged by their appearances."

Koutoku gazed at the ground and smiled softly. From the tone of his voice, it was clear who he was thinking about. Sighing, he stood up and locked his hands behind him and gazed into the faraway distance, the sky cloudless and a bright blue as a small cluster of rukh fluttered past. He was looking forward to the future. The future that the next generation was to bring.

"Kouen, pass on my decree," Koutoku turned around, his sleeve billowing. "For their excellence in having come up with a superb plan to alleviate the drought and the citizen's suffering through this period, reward Ren Koumei with 10,000 taels of gold, the commandment of the Black-Eyed Hawks, and bestow him the title of 'Venerable Prince'. For Lucy Heartfilia, reward her with 10,000 taels of gold, golden jewelry uniquely manufactured with jewels of the south, five large rolls of guanghan silk, and the Phoenix Harp. And a new scholar hall will be built in their honor!"

Kouen widened his eyes. "Father Emperor!" he stood up. "I understand your elation to reward them for their outstanding efforts but to gift all of these to two children would incite rumors."

"Rumors, you say?" he raised an eyebrow.

"They are children and moreover, children who have not yet reached of age. Gifting Koumei a title of peerage is much too soon and as for Lucy, granting her five large rolls of guanghan silk where only three are produced in a year and not only that, bestowing upon her the Phoenix Harp after the Phoenix Zither is too unbecoming. There is no doubt people will begin to pay close attention to her and the possibility of her becoming a target of assassination attempts will increase. Father Emperor," Kouen knelt down on his knees, his eyebrows furrowed together and his eyes closed, "please rethink your decree!"

"Then let them stir rumors."

"Father Em-!"

Koutoku looked down at his son. "Let them speak what they want. Their accomplishments, I cannot ignore. They deserve these rewards. Koumei has already reached far above my expectations and no one would argue against his title of a third rank prince. You should know that as well. Though people might talk ill about him, they are aware of his intelligence and for that, they continue to respect him and treat him with dignity. Giving him command over the Black-Eyed Hawks shows that he, too, is regarded as a prince. He might not want it but it's about time he has his own personal soldiers to protect him."

"That..." Kouen looked down.

"And as for the Phoenix Harp, letting it sit in the dark and collect dust is a waste for such a mythical instrument. If she is able to play the Phoenix Zither, then there's no doubt that she'll be able to play the Phoenix Harp. Whose hands but hers can bring out the true ability and sound of such instruments?"

Kouen gulped but heeded his words. "I understand."

"It'll only be a matter of time before she enters our imperial family," Koutoku looked up into the sky. "It will do well to establish her position before she enters so as to not be looked down upon. Though, I doubt anyone would try to touch the sole daughter of the Heartfilia family."

Kouen bit his lower lip and lowered his head. "...yes."

"And besides, whoever dares to attempt to assassinate her, they won't be able to. Do not underestimate the Heartfilia family, Kouen. For even we, the Imperial Family, are unable to go against them," Koutoku's eyes darkened. "They have the Shadow Corps who are absolutely loyal to the Heartfilia family and with Layla's protection, they're untouchable."

Kouen grimaced. He had never truly taken note of it considering how easygoing they were but if they truly wished for it, it would be no trouble to lead a rebellion and place themselves as the ruling monarchs of the Kou Empire.

"Kouen," Koutoku turned his gaze back ahead, his eyes cold. "They will be your pillars of support in the future."

Kouen widened his eyes.

"And she will be Koumei's bride and no one else's. It will do you well to keep that in mind."

Gritting his teeth, he bit his lower lip and lowered his head. "Yes, Emperor."

Koutoku gave one last look at him before leaving. Seeing him leave, he stood back up. His red eyes were dark and lifeless as a shadow hung over his face. His hands were balled into fists and his lips trembled. He hated it. He hated all of it. He hated his position as the First Imperial Prince of the Kou Empire. After that day where he overheard their conversation, this was the first time where Koutoku had directly told him of their plans for Koumei and Lucy and ever since then, he had thought to himself just how much better would it be if he had been born the second prince instead of the first prince. But, such thoughts were not allowed to enter his mind. If he ever dared to speak of it, he would no doubt he heavily punished.

Taking up the scrolls placed on the table, he shoved the scrolls and threw them on the floor, the sleeves of his robes causing others to knock down as he did so. He panted and it was the first time he had acted out on his anger. Standing there, his mind was in disarray and he didn't know why he was acting in such a way. Was he being like a child? Realizing that, he wondered if this was how children behaved. Crumpling down into a ball, he groaned. He was the First Imperial Prince of the Kou Empire and soon-to-be Crown Prince at that. No matter his age, to be acting like a child was out of the question. Was having his younger brother take what he wanted really worth being childish over? As he thought that, a look of fearful yet hesitant eyes stared at him.

"Kou...en?"

Hearing his name, Kouen immediately turned around and standing at the doorway, peeking her head in from the side, was Lucy. Her silky, blonde hair dangled by her side in strands as her large, clear brown eyes peered at him with fear but most of all, confusion. She was hesitant to come in for after seeing the countless scrolls lying on the floor in disarray, she could tell that he was angry but did not know why. She did not know him too well to comfort him as they had only met a week ago and so, she could only watch from the side.

"Lucy..." Kouen stared at her and realizing how he must look in her eyes, he quickly turned around. "Apologies," he wiped away the tears that were beginning to build up in his eyes as he fixed his hair. "For having you see such a sta-!"

He found himself gazing into a pair of large, brown eyes that stared right back at him. They shone brightly with no ill intent and her lips were pulled into a tight line, her hands placed on his cheeks as she turned his head her way. Kouen widened his eyes in surprise at her sudden action and she continued to stare at him, unafraid of how bold her action seemed or how she may be punished for treating a prince in such a way.

"There's nothing to apologize for," she stated with conviction. "Why do you need to apologize?"

His lips trembled as her eyes remained steadfast and unwavering.

"Just like how I showed Kouen my weakness," she looked down at the ground before bringing her eyes back up to meet his, tears in her eyes as she gave a soft smile, "isn't it fine to show your weakness, too?"

Trembling, he scrunched his eyes as tears began to build up in his eyes once more.

"I may not know why you were angry and you may not wish to tell me why but," she smiled as she continued to cup his cheeks, "know that you can always confide in me. What you don't want to show others, show it to me. Don't let your emotions bottle up inside of you. Vent your anger when you want to, cry your sorrows out when you want to, I won't judge a single one of them. So," she brought his head to her chest, "don't always put on that mask of cold perfection, Kouen."

His eyes were wide as he found tears welling up, streaming down his face as they fell one by one. Softening his eyes and furrowing his brows, he gritted his teeth and put his arms around her, holding her. Lucy smiled softly as she patted his head to comfort him just like how her mother had often consoled her, patiently waiting for his tears to stop and for the sorrow to no longer engulf him. But, to Kouen, that was impossible.

I can't, he closed his eyes as tears continued to stream down. I don't want to let her go.

Her hand gently grazed against his red hair, soft and kind to the touch as he held onto her and let his emotions run free. He didn't want anybody to see him like this and maybe this was how Lucy felt when she had been crying. It was pathetic of him. To wish for something that he couldn't have and to be jealous over his younger brother. It was just too pathetic. The only thing he could wish for was to hope that this feeling of his would be ephemeral and soon die as nothing but a childish crush.

"Thank you, Lucy," he let go of her, his cold mask returning. "I'll make it up to you."

Lucy shook her head as she helped him to his feet. Raising her head to look at him, she smiled. "Let's just call it even. After all, I did end up troubling you that time," she chuckled nervously.

"Not a-!" he stopped mid-sentence as he remembered his father's words.

She will be Koumei's bride and no one else's. It will do you well to keep that in mind.

He shut his mouth and his eyes darkened with coldness. "If that's what you wish."

"Mn," she nodded her head.

As the two stood there, a voice came calling out in the distance and bounding up the stairs was a head of disheveled maroon hair. His robes dangled loosely by his side like they were too large on him and reaching the top of the stairs, he panted to catch his breath.

"So this is where you were, Lucy," he gasped for air and even that one sentence troubled him. Straightening himself, he widened his eyes. "Kouen-niisama."

He nodded his head in acknowledgment.

"Were you with Lucy the entire time?"

"No. She just arrived. I was with Father Emperor just now."

"Oh, I forgot about that. Court must have ended recently."

"You should get used to remembering court schedules. It'll only be a matter of time before you start attending as well," Kouen flicked his brother's forehead.

"Ow!" Koumei held his hands to his temple. "I-I got it, Kouen-niisama. So you don't have to hit me."

"Seeing how you're still holed up in your room, I don't think so," Kouen narrowed his eyes and Koumei gulped; he got that right.

Lucy looked at the two interacting with each other so carefully that one wouldn't think that this was the cold and icy Imperial Palace that one had been taught of. She smiled to herself and laughed and Kouen and Koumei looked at her with questioning eyes.

"You two sure get along well."

The two blinked their eyes and looked at each other before Kouen crossed his arms and averted his gaze while Koumei smiled sheepishly. They didn't know how to respond to her remark for as they were brothers born from the same mother, it was natural for them to get along. They had each other's company and looked out for each other in this palace full of conniving schemes.

"It's not just us two. Kouen-niisama takes care of us really well. The children that are doted on by Father Emperor," Koumei said, specifying the last part for it was those children who were often the targets of assassination attempts.

"Is that so?" she blinked her eyes before flashing a smile. "Kouen must be a really nice older brother."

"If only he didn't hit people," Koumei added quietly before shutting up as he earned a glare from Kouen.

Lucy laughed and looked down with a rather dejected look in her eyes. "I'm a bit jealous."

Despite being treasured as such, Jude and Layla were often always busy and she had spent most of her beginning five years alone and in the company of her teachers and masters more than anything else. She envied the relationship between them siblings and often wished to have siblings of her own as well. She wanted to have one just so she had someone to talk to.

Kouen looked at her and walking over to her, she glanced up.

"What are you talking about?" he said.

"Huh?"

"There's nothing to be jealous about," he remarked. "After all," he reached over and took her hand and gave a small grin, "you're also one of us. You may not think of it as such, but we're practically family."

Lucy widened her eyes. "Family?"

Koumei nodded his head as a small blush made its way to his cheeks. "There's no need to be lonely, Lucy," he took her other hand and Lucy's eyes shone like glass as small droplets of tears began to form at the corner of her eyes. "We'll always be together!"

At his words, Lucy gulped as her lips formed into a small smile, her eyes brimming with happiness.

"Mn!" she nodded her head happily.

Kouen smiled and as he reached out to pat her on the head. Koumei pulled on her hand and clasped it as he ran out of the hall and bounded down the steps. Lucy followed along happily as she picked up her robes and laughed. The two flew past him and he widened his eyes as he stood there in silence. Her blonde hair breezed past his fingertips and he was left to himself. Pursing his lips, he placed his hand back down to his side and gave a painstaking smile. He really was pathetic. Beyond compare.

Looking up, he gazed into the distance where the blue skies spanned across the horizon as white clouds hovered in the sky.

"The Emperor, huh?"

He laughed. If being the Emperor could mean that he could have whatever he wanted, then what was the point if he couldn't even have the girl that he liked? Walking out of the hall with an air of majesty, he followed after them. If he couldn't have her, then the least he would do is watch over her.

Because that was the only thing he can do.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.5K 2.3K 19
A Fairy Tail FanFiction~ Princess Lucy. King Natsu. Both had exceeding power. Both were after the other. When Natsu was a child, King Igneel's reign...
159K 5.2K 25
Lucy was only nine years old when she slaughtered not only her nightmarish parents, but incidentally her entire village in a blood thirsty rampage. O...
736 30 21
"Natsu, you make me happy. And I don't know how I could've gotten through this week without you. Even with me not being able to speak you didn't plea...
207K 6.3K 34
Trou-vaille /tro͞oˈvī/ noun - something lovely discovered by chance. A girl was just going through her A's and B's. Until one day, she was teleporte...