The Future Of Remnant

By Vigilant_Schemer

A tale to tell of the future will be told to the parents of our heroes before they haven even decided to have... More

Watching the future
Red Trailer
White Trailer
Black Trailer
Yellow Trailer
Ruby Rose
The Shining Beacon
The Shining Beacon Part 2
The First Step
The First Step Part 2
The Emerald Forest
The Emerald Forest Part 2
Players And Pieces
The Badge And The Burden
The Badge And The Burden Part 2
Jaunedice
Jaunedice Part 2
Forever Fall
Forever Fall Part 2
The Stray
Black And White
Question
Best Day Ever
Welcome To Beacon
A Minor Hiccup
Painting The Town...
Extracurricular
Burning The Candle
Dance Dance Infiltration
Field Trip
Search And Destroy
Mountain Glenn
No Brakes
Breach
Round One
New Challengers...
Lessons Learned
Never Miss A Beat

It's Brawl In The Family

8.7K 78 36
By Vigilant_Schemer

No one's Pov 

After a quick breakfast, they all reconvened in the viewing area to continue watching. 

After the opening, the scene opens to a shot of Beacon Academy's courtyard at dusk, with Weiss Schnee and Ruby Rose running up the main avenue towards the docking bays.

Ruby: (running to catch up with her partner) Weiss! What is the big deal!? Who is it? Who is she!?

Weiss: (as she stops and smiles at the sight of...) Winter.

Willow's eyes widened in awe, she was finally getting to see her other daughter.  

The camera then cuts behind Ruby and Weiss watching Winter Schnee, escorted by crimson-coloured Atlas Soldiers and Atlesian Knight-200's as she exits her airship.

"She beautiful" Summer commented warmly and Willow just smiled brightly at the sight of her daughter. 

"Looks like she apart of the military" Qrow commented offhandedly as he stared at her uniform, why was future him interested in fighting her? Was it because she was apart of the military and he wanted to annoy James? Yeah, that was probably it. 

Ruby: Wait... Your sister?

Willow's smile seemed to just get brighter. 

Weiss: (cups mouth) Winter! (the two then run-up to the elder Schnee as she turns to see them) Winter! I'm so happy to see you! Oh... (suddenly curtsies) Your presence honours us.

Willow raised a confused eyebrow but simply shrugged it off. 

Winter: (looks around she approaches them) Beacon... It's been a long time. The air feels... different.

A few people tilted their heads curiously at this. 

Ruby: I mean it is fall, so, eh, it's probably colder.

Weiss: (punches Ruby in the shoulder, causing her to gasp in pain before turning back to her sibling) So, what are you doing here?

A few people snickered at this. 

Winter: Classified.

Weiss: Oh, right. Well, how long are you staying?

Winter: Classified.

Weiss: Of course. (nods and smiles in understanding)

"Well... this is nice... I think" Tai muttered as he rubbed the back of his head. 

Ruby: (looks pensively around in the silence) Well... this is nice... I think.

Tai huffed in amusement while a few people snickered. 

Weiss: (excitedly) You're going to love it here! I know you travel a lot, but so much of Beacon is different from Atlas! (discreetly whispers) Vale, too. The government and school are completely separate! Can you believe it!? I-

"Awe she so excited to share this with her sister" Kali cooed. 

Winter: I'm more than familiar with how this kingdom handles its... bureaucracy. That is not why I came.

Weiss: Right! I'm sorry!

Willow frowned slightly 

Winter: Nor did I come here to watch my own blood fail so miserably in battle. But it appears that I have no choice in the matter.

Almost everyone frowned in confusion 

Weiss: (puzzled) But, we won!

Winter: Only a novice would refer to that as a victory. I counted at least three strikes missed. 

"I mean she's not wrong" Raven muttered to herself. 

(The camera then cuts to a side view of the group as she turns to her security) Leave us. (The AK-200s obey, walking two steps backwards into formation as she sighs and smiles a little more warmly at Weiss) How have you been?

Willow's smile returned. 

Weiss: Oh, splendid! Thank you for asking. I'm actually in the very top ranking of our sparring class! And the rest of my studies are going wonderfully, too! I'm-

Winter: (The camera cuts to Winter's hand as she slaps Weiss, leaving a massive bump on her head) 

Willow's smile dropped while a few others gasped in shock. 

Silence, you boob! 

Tai snickered to himself which earned him a couple of unimpressed looks from the others. 

I don't recall asking about your ranking, I'm asking how you've been. Are you eating properly? Have you taken up any hobbies? Are you making new friends?

"Awe that's sweet" An commented. 

Weiss: Well, there's Ruby.

"I guess Blake and Yang are just chopped liver" Qrow snarked and the others all chuckled. 

Ruby: (giggles as she pushes the lump back into Weiss' head) Heh, boob.

"Yup she's definitely your daughter" Qrow said as he shook his head earning him a cheeky grin from Tai. 

Winter: I see. So this is the leader you wrote of. How appropriately... underwhelming.

Tai and Summer frowned displeased. 

Ruby: Uh... Thank you!

Winter: Greetings, Ruby Rose. I wish to thank you for taking an interest in my sister.

Qrow raised an eyebrow at this, what exactly does Weiss tell her sister? 

Ruby: Oh! Uh, yes, of course! (attempts to salute and curtsy) The honor is in my... court! (nearly losing her balance with this gesture, waving her arms until she can get back up)

Everyone chuckled at this. 

Winter: I have business with the General and your Headmaster. But, seeing as I'm early, why don't you take me to your quarters?

Weiss: Really?

Willow smiled warmly at this. 

Winter: (as she and Weiss begin walking towards the Academy, followed by the androids) Yes. I wish to inspect them and make sure that they are up to my personal standards.

Weiss: Of course. Just so you're aware, the bunk beds only look unstable.

A few people snickered at this. 

Winter: Bunk beds?

The snickering increased. 

Ruby: (waving goodbye behind them) I'll catch up- I mean, I will... reconvene with you both... at a later... (she pauses with her hand on her head, wracking her brain for the right word) juncture! (she raises her finger, before stepping out of sight to the left) At a juncture. Yeah.

"Oh, Ruby" Summer chuckled as she shook her head fondly while the others all laughed. 

The camera cuts to Weiss, Winter and the androids walking towards the courtyard, before shifting to first-person view, where a certain someone dizzily sneaks up behind the AK-200s and promptly decapitates one, before kicking its head towards the group.

Everyone's eyes widened in shock. 

Qrow Branwen: Hey! (group turns around to see the man who was previously seen in the Crow Bar) Yeah, I'm talking to you, Ice Queen! (tosses the decapitated machine aside)

Qrow frowned at the sight of himself. 

"You can barely stand straight" Raven muttered in displeasure as she side-eyed her twin.

"I never stand straight, but now is not the time to discuss my sexuality Ra" Qrow quipped offhandedly earning him a displeased look from Raven while the others chuckled in amusement. 

Winter: (as one of her automated soldiers advances, rifle raised) Halt!

Weiss: (angrily walks up to the offender's face) Excuse me! Do you have any idea who you are talking to!?

"Aw she thinks our talking to her, she's really has embraced that nickname" Tai snickered along with a few others. 

Qrow: (places hand on Weiss' face) Sssshhh. Not you. (pushes her out of his way as he moves forward)

A few people chuckled at this. 

Weiss: Hey!

Qrow: (looks at the irritated Winter as he clarifies) You. (a raven is seen perched on a lamp post before flying off and circling past the group)

Raven tilted her head to the side curiously at this. 

Saw that gaudy ship of yours in town. I guess you're here, too.

Winter: I'm standing right before you.

Qrow: (squints through his hazy state of mind) So it would seem.

Qrow groaned and buried his face into his hands, Summer patted his shoulder sympathetically. 

Winter: You realize you just destroyed Atlas Military property.

Qrow: (sarcastically apologizes as he looks at his surroundings) Oh, oh I'm sorry. See, I mistook this for some sort of... sentient garbage.

Qrow snorted at this, even drunk he was a sarcastic little shit. 

Winter: (walks over to face Qrow) I don't have time for your immature games, Qrow.

Weiss: Wait, you two know each other?

"That's a good question, how do you know each other?" Li asked and Qrow just shrugged. 

"We probably meet through Jimmy" He said dismissively. 

Qrow: Geez, you Atlas Specialists think you're so special, don't you?

Winter: It's in the title.

Qrow rolled his eyes at this. 

Qrow: Well, you know what you really are? A bunch of sellouts. Just like your boss.

Winter: I'm not sure what you think you're implying, but I've heard enough.

Qrow: Oh I heard, too. I heard ol' Ironwood finally turned his back on Ozpin.

Qrow frowned displeased at the reminder. 

Weiss: Ozpin?

Winter: (shoves Weiss aside) Weiss, it's time for you to go.

Weiss: What-

Qrow: Listen to big sister, Weiss. She'll protect you. Just like Atlas is going to protect all of us, huh?

Winter: If you won't hold your tongue, then I will gladly remove it for you! (draws her sword)

Qrow: Alright then... (slicks back hair) Come take it.

"Are you insane?! Your drunk she's going to destroy you!" Willow shouted in disbelief, Qrow just shrugged uncaringly. 

The square clears before Winter charges at Qrow, making several quick, but futile thrusts at Qrow's head as he swiftly bobs away from the blade, teasing her with several faces until he mockingly bows towards her.

"How are you doing that?" An questioned in disbelief, Qrow just smirked cheerfully. 

"Magic~" He said teasingly earning a few huffs of disbelief which just made his smirk grow. 

 A downward strike is blocked by the base of, right before he tosses it in the air and points it towards Winter. The two openly clash blades as Qrow lands a downwards strike, and aggressively swipes at Winter, forcing her to do a series of back handsprings away from the greatsword and eventually block it. The camera then cuts to the two spinning and trading blows as Ruby enters the crowd next to her teammate.

"She's not bad, but I can handle her no problem" Qrow said simply. 

"But your drunk?" Ghira muttered and Qrow just shrugged dismissively. 

Ruby: What's going on?!

Weiss: Some crazy guy just started attacking my sister!

Ruby: Oh no! Who would do such a th- (sees Winter's opponent) That is my uncle!

Qrow grinned at this. 

Weiss: What?!

Ruby: (yells loudly) Kick her butt, Uncle Qrow!

Qrow's grin widened tenfold. 

"Aw look at that smile" Summer giggled as she elbowed his stomach. Qrow huffed and tried to smother his smile but it didn't really work. 

Weiss: Uh... (decides to shout her own encouragement) Teach him respect, Winter!

Willow giggled softly.

Mercury Black: (seen walking in the crowd when he witnesses the two fighting) Huh? (Mercury then runs off from the impromptu duel, as the two continue their battle)

Everyone frowned at this, his reaction couldn't mean anything good. 

Both Winter and Qrow parry each of their foe's strikes with rapid speed, as Winter dodges a two-handed swing before smacking Qrow's left cheek with the pommel of her sabre. But Qrow grins as his left eye flashes brightly 

The other members of Team STRQ rolled their eyes at Qrows enjoyment of the fight. 

and Winter is forced to leap away with a glyph as Qrow slams his sword on the ground, shattering the pavement.

"Geez, Qrow are you trying to destroy the school?" Tai teased and Qrow just rolled his eyes. 

Winter then breaks away from the mid-air crane stance as she lands near a lamppost, which is subsequently destroyed with a swipe from Qrow. Winter then leaps above him and dodging his swings, finally leaping on top of his sword, then giving him an excellent view of her foot as she kicks him in the face. Winter backflips onto the stump that used to be a lamppost, but then leaps off onto a railing high above, right as Qrow throws his sword at the stump. Qrow transforms his weapon, firing a cannon shot at Winter and forcing her to jump onto the side of the concrete, arched pillar. She uses her sword to stay on the vertical surface until Qrow runs forward and tries firing more blasts at her, which she dodges by scaling the pillar's face and eventually leaping onto the archway itself. Qrow follows suit on the opposite structure, firing off round after round at his opponent.

"Your daughter is very good" Ghira commented and Willow smiled brightly. 

"Honestly I'm most impressed by Qrow being able to do all of that while drunk" Kali remarked and Qrow grinned cheekily. 

Qrow then searches for Winter as he sees a cloud of white steam consume her, narrowing his gaze. Suddenly, Winter flies towards him, separating her bifurcated sabre into two, 

Qrow and Summer perked up excitedly at this. 

and Qrow blocks her attack. The arch collapses from the force, causing the two to crash back down to ground level, continuing their furious attacks towards each other. Qrow is forced backwards and drags his sword in the ground to slow to a stop before holding it in a one-handed stance, to the cheer of the audience.

"This is probably the highlight of their day" Tai snickered in amusement. 

Winter then stabs the ground with one of her swords, summoning a glyph that creates a flock of small white, which begin flying towards him. 

Willow smiled brightly at the sight of Winter's summons. 

Qrow swings his sword at the flock, causing a few to burst into small clouds of steam. He then sends an Aura arc at Winter, causing her to jump back and putting an end to the birds. Winter angrily summons a second glyph behind her, and the blade of Qrow's sword begins to transform in a sequence initiated by its clockwork gears. 

A few people leaned forward eagerly to see what would happen next. 

But suddenly, his gaze travels elsewhere, and he suddenly sheaths his sword, instead beckoning his bewildered opponent to come at him with his right index finger. 

"What are you doing?" Raven muttered and Qrow just shrugged just as confused as her. 

The glyph fades away, and there's a bright flash of light, followed by Winter speeding forward with light trailing behind her. Just as the tip of Winter's blade closes in on Qrow's throat.

Summer and Tai suddenly squeezed Qrow's hands worriedly, Qrow winced as he lost feeling in his hands from the tight grip. 

Ironwood: SCHNEE!

Winter looks behind her to see General Ironwood standing behind her, with Penny Polendina behind him.

"Ha busted" Qrow snickered and let out a slight sigh of relief when Tai and Summer let go of his hands. 

Winter: (lowers her blades as she addresses Ironwood at about face) General Ironwood, sir!

Ironwood: (approaches Winter with Penny by his side) What in the world do you think you're doing?

Qrow snickered some more.

Winter: He started the altercation, sir!

"That's not true~" Qrow said cheerfully. 

Qrow: (puts his hands behind his head in a relaxed stance) That's actually not true. She attacked first.

Qrow huffed as the others laughed 

Ironwood: Is that right? (Winter searches for words, only to realize Qrow is right. She looks down in shame

Qrow's smirk returned. 

And you. (Qrow points to himself in mock confusion) What are you doing here?

Everyone chuckled at this. 

Qrow: I could be asking you the same thing.

Ironwood: I-

Qrow's smirk grew as he saw how flustered Jimmy had become. 

Ozpin: Now, now, everyone. (intervening beside Glynda Goodwitch) There is a sanctioned fight happening just around the corner at the Colosseum, that I can assure you has better seats... and popcorn. (swirls his cocoa)

Goodwitch: Break it up, everyone! We will take care of this mess. (glares at the three)

"They are such polar opposites" Summer chuckled as she shook her head fondly. 

Ironwood: Let's go.

As Ironwood and Winter leave, Penny notices Ruby and quietly waves to her, while Ruby waves back. 

All of the women, except for Raven, cooed at the sight. 

Ruby then leaps giddily onto Qrow's arm, shaking her legs in delight.

"So cute!" Summer giggled as she practically bounced in place. 

Ruby: Uncle Qrow!!! (as she hangs on Qrow's outstretched arm) Hi. It's so good to see you! Did you miss me? Did you miss me!?

Qrow: Nope. (they share a grin as he pats his niece's head)

"Aw look at you being all soft" Summer cooed and Qrow huffed as he shoved her away from him a slight blush on his face. 

Ozpin: Qrow! (the Huntsman turns to look at the headmaster as Ruby gets dropped) A word, please. (Goodwitch then repairs the courtyard using her telekinesis)

Qrow: (to Ruby, discreetly) I think I'm in trouble.

Everyone chuckled at this. 

Ruby: You did kinda tear up our courtyard.

Qrow: Yeah, I did. (winks and gives her a fist bump) Catch ya later, kid. (he walks off to join the others)

Summer giggled some more while Qrow rolled his eyes at her. 

Weiss: (walking up beside Ruby, arms crossed) And suddenly, your recklessness makes sense.

Qrow smirked at this. 

Ruby: (nudges Weiss' shoulder) You're just mad because he whooped butt.

Weiss: That was a draw, at best!

Ruby's grin says otherwise.

"She's so proud of you" Tai said cheerfully as he elbowed Qrow's side who just had a proud smile on his face. 

The scene shifts to Ozpin's office late at night. Ironwood is waiting with his arms crossed while Winter is impatiently pacing about. Suddenly, a smirking Qrow, accompanied by Goodwitch and Ozpin, arrive in the elevator.

Winter: What were you thinking!?

Ironwood: If you were one of my men, I would have you shot!

Qrow's smile dropped at this as he rolled his eyes. 

Qrow: (pulls out flask at the three enter the room) If I was one of your men, I'd shoot myself.

A brief smirk appeared on Qrow's face at this. 

Goodwitch: While I wouldn't condone his behaviour, retaliating like you did certainly didn't help the situation.

Winter: He was drunk!

Goodwitch: He's always drunk! (the four turn to Qrow to see him drinking from a flask. His eyes widen when he notices them staring, and he holds the flask out to the side, looking at it awkwardly before grimacing.)

Qrow grimaced at this, always drunk? 

Ozpin: (staring at Qrow in shock, then sighs and sits down) Qrow, why are you here?

"It's almost like they don't want to see me" Qrow said in mock sorrow earning him snickers from the others. 

Ironwood: You've been out of contact for weeks! You can't just go dark like that in the field!

Qrow furrowed his eyebrows in confusion while his team shot him concerned looks, Raven being much more subtle than the other two. 

Qrow: I'm not one of your special operatives, Jimmy!

Winter: General.

Qrow rolled his eyes at this.

Qrow: Whatever. You sent me to get intel on our enemy, and I'm telling you, our enemy is here.

Qrow tilted his head thoughtfully at this.

Ironwood: (leans against Ozpin's desk) We know.

Qrow: Oh! Oh, you know! Well, thank goodness I'm out there risking my life to keep you all informed!

Qrow frowned in displeasure at being kept in the dark. 

Ironwood: (exhales) Qrow-

Qrow: Communication's a two-way street, pal. You see this? (pulls out his Scroll and points to it) That's the SEND button.

A few people snickered at this. 

"Jimmy has never been great with communication" Qrow drawled with an unimpressed look on his face. 

Winter: They had reason to assume you'd been compromised.

Qrow: And I have reason to assume you don't need to be here. (points to Winter) Seriously, who invited her?

Willow frowned at this. 

Ironwood: (after a moment of silence, without looking at her) Schnee, we'll discuss this incident back at my ship.

Qrow smirked slightly at this.

Winter: (looks surprised) But sir!

Ironwood: Winter. Leave.

Winter: (salutes Ironwood) Yes sir. (turns on her heel and gives the winking Qrow a dirty look as she exits via the elevator)

Qrow's smirk grew ever so slightly. 

Ironwood: (gestures to Qrow) Go on.

Qrow: Your little infiltrator isn't just another pawn. They're the one responsible for Autumn's condition. (takes a drink from his flask once more)

"What? Who's Autumn?" An asked as she looked at Qrow but he just shrugged. 

Goodwitch: What?

Qrow: Despite what the world thinks, we're not just teachers, or generals, or headmasters. The people in this room, the leaders of the other two academies, we're the ones that keep the world safe from the evils no one even knows about! 

Qrow's eyebrows shot up in surprise while everyone else looked at him in shock. 

(getting up in Ironwood's face) It's why we meet behind closed doors, why we work in the shadows. So you tell me, James, when you brought your army to Vale, did you think you were being discreet, or did you just not give a damn!?

"That's a good point, what does Ironwood think he's doing?" Raven muttered to herself thoughtfully. 

Ironwood: (stares down at Qrow as he places his Scroll on Ozpin's desk) Discreet wasn't working. (the center of the room projects a hologram of Vale, Beacon Academy, the Amity Colosseum and Ironwood's fleet of Atlesian Airships, which he gestures to) I'm here because this is what was necessary.

Qrow: You're here because Ozpin wanted you here! He made you a part of this inner circle and opened your eyes to the real fight that's in front of us!

Everyone felt an uncomfortable chill filled the air. 

Ironwood: And I am grateful.

Qrow: Oh, well, you've got a real funny way of showing it.

Qrow crossed his arms in agreement. 

Ironwood: The people of Vale needed someone to protect them; someone who would act. When they look to the sky and see my fleet, they feel safe, and our enemies will feel our strength.

Qrow: (starts laughing) You... You think they're scared of your little ships? I've been out there and I've seen the things she's made. And let me tell you, they are fear.

The others shot him worried looks but he wasn't paying attention, what had he seen? 

Ozpin: (standing up) And fear will bring the Grimm. A guardian is a symbol of comfort. But an army is a symbol of conflict. There's an energy in the air now, a question in the back of everyone's minds... (gestures to the display) "If this is the size of our defenses, then what is it we're expecting to fight?"

"I think we'd all like to know" Li muttered and the others all nodded in agreement. 

Ironwood: (glares at them before sighing and walking forward, picking up his Scroll just as it flashes with the image of a Black Queen

"That's Cinder's link, she's gotten into Ironwoods phone" Raven said darkly and the other's eyes widened in horror while Qrow groaned and covered his face, James you stupid idiot.

So then, what would you suggest we do?

Ozpin: I suggest we find our guardian.

A few people tilted their heads curiously at this. 

Cut to a dorm room, where Mercury is sitting in a chair, reporting on the fight he saw earlier, while Cinder Falls walks back and forth, interrogating him with Emerald Sustrai resting on a bed nearby.

Everyone tensed ever so slightly. 

Cinder: And you're sure?

Mercury: Bad hair, used a scythe, and smelled like my dad after a long day. It was him.

Qrow frowned at this uncomfortably. 

"So his dad was a drunk" Summer mumbled softly to herself. 

Emerald: What do we do?

Cinder: Nothing. We stay the course. They have no idea who we are, so we have no reason to worry. Besides, the last of the heavy lifting is being taken care of thanks to our clever little friend. (picks up her Scroll as it too flashes with the Black Queen) Speaking of which... it appears we have a new access point.

Almost everyone cursed under their breaths, who knows what they can gain access to now. 

 (Ironwood is shown on the Scroll as an icon, along with a curling "W" in the other corner)

Emerald: Anywhere good?

Cinder: You could say that. Go to your rooms. I'll prepare everything for tomorrow.

Emerald: Yes, ma'am.

Mercury: Got it.

The Scroll reveals the roster of the Vytal Festival Tournament doubles round, which includes CRDL's Russel Thrush and Sky Lark, SSSN's Sun Wukong and Neptune Vasilias, and Penny Polendina and Ciel Soleil.

"So she can rig the fights? That's not too bad" Tai said but Qrow just shook his head. 

"I highly doubt that's all she can do" He muttered darkly. 

Cinder: Let's give the crowd a good fight.

Cinder scrolls down each pair until she selects Mercury and Emerald to face off against Coco Adel and Yatsuhashi Daichi in the doubles round.

The next morning, the crowd sees the rigged match-up on the screen at the Amity Colosseum.

Peter Port: (over the announcement system) The randomization process is complete! Ladies and gentlemen, your doubles tournament fight!

As the announcement is heard, RWBY cheers with arms raised, JNPR is seen providing applause, and SSSN is shown sitting in front row seats. Bolin Hori and Nolan Porfirio are seen talking to each other behind RWBY, and Dove Bronzewing is sitting behind JNPR. The camera shifts to Cinder, now watching her teammates in the seats as she menacingly claps with a devious smirk, before it cuts to black and the credits roll.

"Do think Coco and Yatsuhashi will be fine?" Kali asked worriedly and while everyone else shrugged Summer tried to give her a reassuring smile. 

"Their both second years so they have a lot of experience under their belt's I'm sure they'll be fine" She replied and Kali smiled in relief but Raven was quick to ruin the mood. 

"Yes but Mercury and Emerald are criminals and they know how to fight dirty" She commented and an uncomfortable feeling filled the room as the next episode started playing. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 332 34
When a baby, you've never seen before, calls you daddy and you are not able to recognize the love of your life. What will happen when you start to qu...
434 12 7
Seeing the future has its costs, for you it takes a mental toll. Seeing the things and people you love suffer had never been something you could deal...
52K 2K 38
Love...the word always give goosebumps to everyone without age limits...everyone waiting for that moment with or without knowing themself...its happ...
20.9K 399 25
Fiction and reality collides, distorting the realm into what is not real, can be real. When a human's imagination becomes its greatest threat, an unt...