young, scrappy and hungry | a...

By darkdisrepair

British actress Kasey Winslow is thrilled to be in the Original Broadway Cast of Hamilton. But, when she gets... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 56.5
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 33

559 20 13
By darkdisrepair

Renee arrived at the theatre later than usual, and signed in on the call sheet. She noticed that both Kasey and Carleigh's signatures were missing, and of course, Leslie's. He was always late, so Renee wasn't all that concerned.

But it was uncharacteristic of Carleigh and most of all Kasey to be this late to the theatre. Renee scanned the list again. Pippa was there, Jazzy and Anthony were here... Carleigh and Kasey were the only ones missing. That had never happened before, and they hadn't been on the summary list of the week of absentees.

Then she checked the substitution list.

Out-

Carleigh Bettiol (ensemble track 1)

Kasey Winslow (ensemble track 6)

In- 

Morgan Marcell (ensemble track 1)

Stephanie Klemons (ensemble track 6)

Renee was still surprised. Neither of them had mentioned being out the day before, and they had both seemed healthy. 

She quickly texted Carleigh as she walked down the hall to her dressing room. 

Renee: are you both alright?

Carleigh: something happened yesterday and we're taking care of it

Renee: are you hurt?

Carleigh: no, it's just some family difficulties on kasey's side. i don't think she really wants people to know at this point, but texting her to let her know you're thinking about her might cheer her up

Renee: i hope everything turns out

Carleigh: i do, too. have a good show, renee

Renee: best of luck

Renee put her stuff on the floor of her dressing room and quickly put her hair into her usual hairstyle and started putting on her makeup. 

"You're later than usual," Jazzy commented. 

"I was running late, I accidentally burnt some cookies and had to scrape the bottom of my oven out," Renee said. 

"That's rather tragic," Jazzy said. 

"It was very sad," Renee agreed. "Are you both staying between shows or are you going home?" 

"I think I'm staying here, Lin said something about music rehearsal for 'Say No to This,'" Jazzy said. "What about you, Pippa?"

"I was planning on staying. The ensemble girls wanted to play Sorry," Pippa said.

"Crap, I forgot about that," Renee said. "I'll stay, too."

"Speaking of ensemble girls, where are Kasey and Carleigh? I haven't seen them at all, and usually I pass them when I'm getting my mic," Pippa said, while putting on eyeliner. 

"I think there was a family emergency, and Carleigh's staying with Kasey," Renee told Jazzy and Pippa.

Jazzy frowned. "I hope everything's okay. They're both cinnamon rolls," she said. "I love Kasey. She's such a beautiful person."

"That's true," Pippa agreed. "She's very selfless, and she's energetic. She and Carleigh seem like really good friends. They're the Schuyler Sisters of the ensemble."

"But who's their Peggy?" Jazzy asked, laughing.

"I don't know, maybe Ariana?" Pippa answered, also laughing. "They are honestly friendship goals."

"I thought we were friendship goals," Jazzy protested.

"Don't worry, there can be more than one," Pippa reassured her.

~~~~~~

Kasey didn't cry as much as Carleigh thought she would. Her friend seemed resigned to her foster parents' deaths, but Carleigh could also see how broken Kasey was. Despite Kasey's attempts to appear calm, Carleigh could tell that she was hurting inside.

Someone as kind as Kasey should never have to go through that much pain in one lifetime. Carleigh wished she could do something to make her friend feel better.

When Kasey was in the bathroom, Carleigh looked through her phone, searching for one number in particular. She found it and quickly put the number into her own phone.

Carleigh: Hi, Jace. This is Carleigh Bettiol, Kasey's friend from Hamilton.

Jace: why do you have my number?

Carleigh: I got it from Kasey's phone. She found out her foster parents died yesterday. I know how much you mean to her and I was hoping you could cheer her up.

Jace: that's horrible... but i don't know how much I can help. i haven't really seen Kasey in a while.

Carleigh: Still, I know she would appreciate if you texted her. It's up to you.

Jace: i don't have time right now, we're in put-in rehearsal, but i will when rehearsal is over. thanks for telling me.

Carleigh: thanks, it means a lot to me.

Kasey emerged from the bathroom. "Can we at least do tonight's show?" she asked.

"I don't know... I guess if you're feeling up for it," Carleigh said finally. "I just think you need to take some time off. It's okay if you need to, no one will judge you for it. They understand."

"I can't sit here anymore, it's just making it worse, and I don't want to sit here just pitying myself," Kasey said forcefully.

"Kasey..."

"Carleigh, please," Kasey begged. "I don't want to think about it anymore. I am so, so sick of thinking about this."

"I won't stop you, but Kasey, shutting it out isn't going to make it feel better," Carleigh said gently. "When my father died, I pretended he was just on a business trip. It made it hurt more when I let myself feel."

"Carleigh, I know what it feels like."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.2K 249 28
In a world where reincarnates are looked down upon in society, there are the ones who try to change it for the better. Lin-Manuel Miranda is 5 years...
8.8K 162 26
You have just moved to New York City to live your dream as a Broadway star, you have recently broken up with your college sweetheart after finding th...
21.5K 590 22
Y/n has always been a special girl. She's smart, talented and beautiful. But she has a secret. She can see and talk to her ancestors.. Who? Oh.. The...
61.6K 1K 65
- "Yeah, I like him a lot. I, um- I've connected with him a lot. I just don't know if he actually likes me back. I think he just thinks we're friends...