Noorur-rahman

By miss-mienerh

Noorur-rahman Adam is bold, hardheaded, selfish, cunning and everything in between. She's beautiful, but they... More

Prologue
Eid And The Family Drama
Nightmare And The Resumption Assembly
The Chemistry substitute
Abbah Is Getting Married Again
The Bully
Noor And The Substitute Teacher
The New Family Member
Not Again
Noorur-rahman
Abbah
Danja's Residence
Inner Conflicts
The Last Day At PIC
Not At Ease
Moody Noorie
Class Of 2013
For The Very First Time
A Thorn In The Heart
The Seat Of the Caliphate
The Woman Who Left Me
The Restless Hearts
Surprise‼️
The Replacement
Breakfast
All For Nothing
Home Again
Goodness, Good Heart And Good news
Very Important! Not an update
The Auntie
Some Hurtful Memories
The Paths We Crossed To Smile
The Heart That Yearns
To Be Reckless
Dinner Night
The Shared Dream
The Open Secret
Shadows Of The Past
In Snap Of A Finger
In Between Life And Death
Pure As A child's Dream
Binded By Fate
A Soul Or A Wanderer, Who Am I?
The Amnesia
The Waves
Fear
Before Dawn
Storm After Calm
The Beginning Of The End
Epilogue

The Accident That Didn't Happened

216 51 9
By miss-mienerh

After what had transpired weeks ago in the kitchen, Noor had tried her level best to avoid Isma'il and in the process not letting herself gets affected by his confession. It's like those mere statements has changed a lot between them,  despite trying so hard to make it insignificant. Now every gesture Isma'il made have an attached meaning to it. And she can't even play dump about the fact. Little by little, he's making her confused at her own feelings.

Her school first semester ended a weeks back and all she do these days is help her new found cousins, arrange a wedding through a WhatsApp group chat. They found her ideas helpful even though she have never attended any lavish wedding before. Though, at some point she believe they're just being extremely nice towards her.

What's so amazing about all these, is how well she's keeping up with new people and things. The change in her is so loud and evident. She, herself is surprised to how few months has shaped her life in a good way.  Perhaps, all she's ever needed was that break. That journey to Sokoto had made her rethink of all her previous life choices. And it hadn't taken much of her time to finally drop that heavy baggage there.

Noor's glad she listened to Isma'il lecture of people being responsible for their happiness. For it's too much of a husle to make someone take that responsibility.  What if they failed to meet their  expectations. Therefore, Noor believe that everyone should learn to be happy with what they have and live with it. Because, from a while back, that's how she decided to live her life.

She sighed at the movement of Asabe in her room and with a smile caressing my lips, she returned her attention back to the book that have her hooked up in between its pages. It's the perfect definition of a true masterpiece, 'The other side of midnight' by Sidney Sheldon.

"It's so indulging, isn't it?" Asabe asked, now the woman is no longer afraid of starting a conversation with Noor. Because, now she don't have to fear the chance of being insulted.

"Yes, it's!" Noor smile was so bright on her face that one can truly see how beautiful and innocent she's. She's after all a girl that hide behind the mask of her pain, caused by her loved ones. Perhaps, now Asabe understood why the girl have always been an angel in her father's eyes, for he's never encountered the spiteful one. "It feels so good to finally read something out of school work. I thought I wasn't the school type, but look how invested I was." She laughed.

"Oh miss, you have always been very determined since I know you. Haven't you always been the best in everything from your secondary school?" Asabe reminded her of something she's always been proud of her for. Even though she was what she's back then, Noor has always been excellent in school. And she have no doubt that she will prosper in her higher education too.

"Not best in everything, I just happened to be good with numbers. But you see, I have never invested too much into studying like I did in the past months."

"I wish you nothing but success!" Noor only smile returning her attention back to the book again, while Asabe excused herself.

With new relationship formed and old friendship renewed, Noorur-rahman is no longer short of people to talk to. Although, some incidences during the school semester had try to hinder her forwardness to a better place. For example the sudden appearance of Mubin as one of their chemistry Lab invigilator, more like an assistant lecture who though most have a master degree to be fully recognized as one. Noor wasn't so excited with that, but she had to let go of it since she's on a gradual transformation journey.

Her phone buzzed beside her indicating the arrival of a new message. She sat on the bed folding the edge of the page she's reading and putting the book on her bedside cabinet. It's a message from Naana wishing her best of luck with her exams. Maybe, by now Mubin might have already told his  family about her. Noor replied back the message. She and Naana only text each other for the unknown reason. Though for Noor, she's more comfortable texting her sister than talking to her. Noor believe they still have a long way to go which might take forever.

She takes a deep breathe,  closing her eyes for a moment and the image of Maman Naana flashes through her head. Of course, neither of them have looked for the other since their second departure and deep down Noor believe they may never meet again, because she's promised herself  to never go back to her again and to never make her a part of her life. Her birth mother has never did anything to make her feel wanted. And Noor is done being pathetic over it. 

....

And suddenly her breathe become hyper and before Isma'il could grasp it, she's already hyperventilating, her head was spinning badly. She hold the steering wheel tightly pushing her body back into the driver's seat. Putting much pressure on the accelerator, she stopped the car. 

"I almost killed us!" She managed to say after a while. Her heart thudding hard against her chest, and Isma'il scared out of his wit. "That's close!"

"Gimme the key!" He ordered and the car is already held by the roadside. Noor can sees how he furiously open his door. He walk by the trunk of  the car scratching his head as if something has extremely went bad. Though, she wonder how he managed to do it without shouting. Plus, she have never seen his face look that tight. Do you expect him to always keep his cool?

"Are you hurt?" He asked standing by her seat, the horror still evident in his voice, he sounds a bit calm.

"It's just a stupid sheep that don't know when to run away from a car." She forced a smile, Noor wasn't any less scared than he is. Yet, she masked everything up.

"That's not what I asked, Noor!" His tone came out a bit too serious with a hard expression on his face.

"I'm fine, you saw it too. Nothing happened, I didn't hit it!" She answered,  grimacing at his reaction. 

"Alhamdulillah, now move to the passenger seat and fasten your seatbelt." He ordered, and she have no idea where or how he suddenly develop that authoritative voice. Nevertheless, it makes her do as he says.

The two quietly exchanged their seat and Isma'il take charge of the car inwardly thanking Allah and praising Him for saving them. Else he wouldn't have known how to ever face his uncle if anything had gone.

The rest of the drive to Kaduna continue in a complete silent, nothing can be heard other than that the noise of the busy highway. With Isma'il still frighten by what's happened, he focus more on the road leaving his companion to suit herself, which really did annoys her. For she try to initiate a conversation which Isma'il ignored putting her on the edge.

Noor knew it was her fault, she thought the sheep will run along with the goats, but it didn't and she only slow down the car at the last minute. Yes, it would have been a bad accident, but it didn't happened. So she don't get why her companion is having a bad mood swing, spoiling hers in the process.

She have been so existed for that wedding, yet Isma'il of all people is trying to spoil it for her even before it started. "I told you. I'm fine, so there's no need for you to keep squeezing your face as if I have broken my arms, killed you or spoil your car." Noor said in between her grits teeth. She's annoyed at him acting up for nothing. Shouldn't he be grateful that they're all safe?

"I'm not squeezing my face, Noorie!" He said calmly.

"I know I insisted on driving us, but that doesn't mean you're responsible for my action."

"I told you the highway is different from the usual road you drive on. And Noor, from the very second I agreed to bringing you here, you became my responsibility. So don't tell me not to be responsible for what just happened. It's my fault, I was not supposed to let you drive."

"I always listened to what you said, and I don't  know why you think I didn't paid attention to the road. It's okay if I scare you, but being grumpy doesn't suit. And before next time learn to say no to me." He open his mouth to at least depend him but nothing came and since their car was already held in front of Inna Yalwa's house, Noor exist the car with a deep frown on her face, using too much force to close the door after her, clearly displaying her annoyance. Isma'il was left sulking as well as going back to two hours earlier, when Noorur-rahman with help of her puppy look convinced him to let her drive.

She's right, he first have to learn how to say no to her before being mad at things she does, which he's supposed to have control.

"Pleeeease?" She begged making a childlike face with those beautiful big  eyes of hers blinking. He could have said no, but he couldn't resist the excitement in her eyes. And what's he ever do denied her before?

While at Inna Yalwa's living room, Noor was welcomed by Na'ima, a cousin of theirs. If she can remember correctly from the introduction in their WhatsApp family group chat, the girl is the granddaughter of her paternal grand uncle, who's the youngest sibling of her late grandmother and Inna Yalwa.  Baban cikin gida, they called him. Well, he's also late.

"How's your trip?" The girl asked again after asking how she left her abbah.

"It's good, Alhamdulillah. How's the preparation coming along?"

"Everything is in order, I supposed." The girl said delightfully, it's Noor's first time meeting her and for some reason she finds her a bit awkward. It left her wondering if it'll be the same with rest of the people she'll be meeting later on.

"Inna fah?" Noor asked when she didn't  sight her anywhere around, but before Na'ima could answer, Isma'il peace greeting interrupted them, making the girl jump on her two feet at once.

"Wa'alaikumu salam, Ya Isma'il!" Noor hears Na'ima's voice echoing with joy in the courtyard.

"That's quick!" She said to herself, amazed at how the young lady jumped from beside her on the sofa to the courtyard. Its literally took her a second to do that. "Ya Isma'il, you have become a rear gem these days, wallahi."

"Says somebody that ran away to Jos, when did you come?"

"Yesterday, and I came here as soon as I heard you are coming today, because I know this will be your first stop." It took them a while talking in the courtyard in joyous voices, not that Noor was  concerned with how long they took out there, laughing and catching up, but she felt a bit left out. Even when they later joined her, they continue talking about things she have no idea of. And it's annoying especially with Isma'il not paying attention to her, for he's still hooked on the accident that didn't happened.

It's a tuesday, and the wedding event is set to start on Thursday and the Nikah will happened on a Saturday afternoon. Noor is having a mixed feelings to why she didn't wait to come along with abbah and Aunty Jamila on Friday. It'll have been much easier.

Three hours later, she's immensely regretting her decision. Noorur-rahman still doesn't know how to talk to the elders, and Inna Yalwa wasn't an exception. The old woman is still in her might and glory and Noor is afraid of using the wrong word with her. What throws her off the couch is how Na'ima talks with inna as if she's practiced that all her life, and maybe she does. They even laugh and joke while she became an audience, feeling out of place as if though she had never visited that house a thousand times before. Noor gave up at some point  and left them to themselves.   

While she's almost pulling her hair due to boredom, a gentle knock on the guestroom door interrupted her from assaulting herself and she don't even need to ask to know who it's.

"Noor! Noorie, are you awake?" She didn't answer even after five minutes and he got tired of waiting for her reply Isma'il and relay the message he came with. "Noorie, I know you're hearing me. So get ready, we are going to Kabala now!" She rolled her eyes from where she's sitting on floor, she have just concluded her Asr prayer. Though after he left she feels a bit excited about going to Kalaba where his family lives.

When Noor was done taking her sweet moment in the house and saying bye to Inna, Isma'il and Na'ima were already in his car waiting for her. And to her surprise, even though she knew Na'ima was tagging along, she didn't know the girl will be sitting on her seat, next to Isma'il. That's always been your seat, Noor! Her subconscious incited.

Yes, so far, it's been. Maybe not anymore.  And she feels sad.

Through the ride, Noor have try on focusing on the roads and the streets, but something in her chest was being too restless and deepening the frown on her face. That though, didn't go unnoticed by Isma'il who already knew he have went overboard since they arrived in Kaduna.

"Wow, you two have shared too many amazing memories together. What a well maintained record. How beautiful!" Noor said after what felt like forever, though the  sarcase in her statement was so evident that it makes Isma'il pretty much uneasy. And she's able to get Na'ima to keep quiet for a change.

After arriving at the averagely beautiful house in the heart of kabala, all three of them are warmly welcomed. The bride is the immediate sister of Isma'il. Ikhlas is as beautiful as her name, she's the female version of Isma'il, only that with all her feminine features, she's no match for him. Her eyes were twinkling with joy when she pulled Noor in a tight hug.

"I can't believe you're here, Noor!" Noor only smile, she's glad she's welcomed in such a manner, that made her feel okay after those longer hours at inna's.

"Noorur-rahman, hope your abbah and aunt are all fine?" Isma'ils' mother asked, she just returned from the market with her eldest daughter, Aunty Maryam as everyone called her.

"They're good Alhamdulillah, they'll be here on friday, In sha Allah." Hearing Noor used those terms gladden Isma'il much more than he think it does. He's glad she's finally freed herself to say Allah without feeling the burden of her impurity. Back then Noor will never ever used the term 'Alhamdulillah or in sha Allah' and many more of them. And from were he sat on the sofa across her in the living room, he flashes her one of his finest smile.

It only took two hours for Noorur-rahman to realised that everyone in Isma'il's family know about his feelings for her. And also why Na'ima is still harboring over him, the young lady who Noor learned that she's four years older than her, did not even allow him to talk to his mother with ease and privacy.

"Noorie, Noorie!" The bride sing sang coming into the bedroom she shares with her sisters, Madiha and Zarah. The girls there remind her so much of her cousin in Sokoto. 

"Aiko dai ga Noorin yaya nan! (Indeed, Yaya's Noor is here)" Madiha said going through her closet. "If yaya is pronouncing Noorie, one will assume she is three year old." They all laugh making her feel embarrassed since she always feel the same too, back then she find it too creepy.

"Is Na'ima sleeping here?" Aunty Maryam asked poking her head in the room.

"Hehh, you know she isn't going to sleep here, when she seeing yaya at inna's." Madiha said earning herself a smack from Ikhlas. Something is telling Noor that they don't want her feeling bad about Na'ima's clinginess to their brother who doesn't seems to mind it at all. Then, why should she?

"Please, don't do anything to put her on the edge, she's our here for us and you know how she's."

"Yeah, very annoying!" Madiha added under her breathe, though everyone heard her.

"Madiha, mind yourself!" Aunty Maryam warned and went back to her business.

"Noor, try your ashobe, I don't know if the tailor got the measurement right. I gave him the measurements you sent, but I don't want anything going wrong with your clothes." Ikhlas said taking a deep breathe,  she becomes more worked up as she continue sorting out more new sewn clothes from a huge black polythene bag that Madiha brought out from her closet.

"Take it easy, sis! Everything will turned out well." Madiha said trying to calm her sister.

"She's the bride, duh. She's allowed to get worked up." Zarah, the youngest of the girls said with a hint of humor.

"Well, I think this one looks good on me." Noor announced with smile dancing on her face.

"Yeah, its fit perfectly." They all agreed, Ikhlas, the bride is twenty five while Madiha is turning twenty two soon and Zarah is fourteen.

"Now Madiha, go get Mama's lace and meet us in the living room. Noor, we are going to the tailor, do you want to come?" Ikhlas asked parking few of the new sewn clothes in a small polythene bag.

"Yes I do."

"Good then, change back to your clothes. Madi, quit lazing around and get your butt off that bed now." With Ikhlas almost yelling at her, Madiha did as she is ordered while the three of them went to the living room where Na'ima is literally glued to Isma'il. At least now Noor understand why Madiha find her annoying. She shouldn't be that desperate.

"Yaya can I have a minute with you?" Madiha requested when she later joined them in the living room with her own polythene bag. "Noor, please hold this bag, I'm a bit clumsy that I might not remember to carry it." And she drags her brother into the corridor of what appears to be the kitchen. Well, that's where the water and the zobo juice they drank earlier came from.

"Yaya, why are you letting Na'ima all over you. I thought you said you like Noor?" She asked instead of stating the fact.

"Of course, I do. What does that have to do with Na'ima?" Madiha sighed irritably making her brother a bit confused, who doesn't see anything wrong with Na'ima wanting to catch up with him. She's always been one of his favorite cousin for being sensible.

"You know what, Yaya?" She said with a furrowed brows and scrunched face. "I don't believe you are as innocent as you appeared to be, and if you don't get your acts together with that clingy cousin of yours, Noorur-rahman will slip out of your grasp before this wedding  ends. And maybe then you'll realise  what I mean." With that she left him standing by the fridge, disturbed as he try to rummage the puzzle.

"Madiha! Madi!" He calls, but she's already left.
.....

Assalamu alaikum my beautiful people!

Good evening to you all!

Yeah, it's happening and still happening!

😁😁😁

So, how are we and our new characters?
Did any of them stand out?  Lemme  hear that in the comment section. While you're at that, don't for to vote and share.

Bye bye

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

288K 28.1K 67
#1 in spiritual in 16/6/2019 Previously known as " My very own hijabi" Two young people finding shelter within each other from the world and its evi...
4.4K 538 54
Read how the life of a final year teenage girl who is an introvert turns out to be when a couple of new friends make it their priority to make her c...
64.2K 6.8K 72
Sakeena Ibrahim Abdulmaleek; Fierce, bold, challenging and brave. Never thought her life will turn out that way. At the age of fourteen, her life cha...
224K 32.8K 84
"Start packing your belongings, you're leaving right before my husband leaves for work. I'm sorry." Maryam said and sauntered back to their room, lea...