Back to Where We Started From...

By songbird_kisses

It's 1979, and Julia Brooks is living the high life as a rockstar in California. After a particularly crazy n... More

Introduction
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty-One
Chapter Eighty-Two
Chapter Eighty-Three
Chapter Eighty-Four
Chapter Eighty-Five
Chapter Eighty-Six
Chapter Eighty-Seven
Chapter Eighty-Eight
Chapter Eighty-Nine
Chapter Ninety
Chapter Ninety-One
Chapter Ninety-Two
Chapter Ninety-Three
Chapter Ninety-Four
Chapter Ninety-Five
Chapter Ninety-Six
Chapter Ninety-Seven
Chapter Ninety-Eight
Chapter Ninety-Nine
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103

Chapter Seventy-Four

607 16 10
By songbird_kisses

February 19, 1977
Los Angeles, CA

"You are well on your way to looking like an expensive hooker," Tommy told Julia as he entered her bedroom. She looked up from her spot on the floor in front of her mirror and glared at him. Her hair was in rollers and she was still dressed in pajamas, but her makeup looked even more glamorous than usual. Tommy saw the look she was giving him and laughed. "It was a compliment!"

"Thanks," Julia quipped with an eyeroll. She looked around at the makeup scattered on the floor, searching for a certain lipstick. After a few minutes of searching, she let out a huff of frustration.

"What's wrong?" Tommy asked, sitting on her bed.

"I can't find my lipstick! I can't find anything. We need a bigger place," she groaned. For the last year, the band had been living in an apartment on the Sunset Strip, but it was quickly becoming too small.

"We need a bigger place and you need to stop hogging all the makeup," Cyndi said as she entered the room, sitting beside Julia on the floor. "Scoot over."

Julia reluctantly moved over, sharing the mirror space with Cyndi.

"Are you guys nervous?" Tommy asked, looking at their reflections in the mirror.

"About tonight?" Julia asked, still looking around for the lipstick in question.

"No, Julia, about what to get Michael for his birthday," Tommy said sarcastically. "Yes, about tonight."

"I'm a little nervous," Cyndi admitted, staring at her reflection as she worked on her makeup.

"Me too," Tommy sighed, running his hands through his dark hair.

"The only thing that's making me nervous is the fact that I can't find my lipstick!" Julia huffed, throwing her hands up in frustration.

"We're nominated for two Grammy awards for Album of the Year and Best New Artist, and all you can think about is lipstick," Tommy acknowledged, shaking his head at Julia. She just rolled her eyes.

"You guys, our debut album is up against Stevie Wonder and Peter Frampton. Let's be real here. We're not gonna win, so let's just go have fun," Julia shrugged.

"Always the optimist," Tommy pointed out, searching Julia's bedside table for a joint.

"What about Best New Artist? We could win that," Cyndi said with a slightly hopeful tone.

"I'm just trying to get some free drinks and bump elbows with people way out of our league," Julia told them, earning a glare from Cyndi as she dumped another makeup bag. "Where is my lipstick?!"

"Wear a different one!" Tommy finally told her, getting a middle finger from Julia.

"Get outta my room!" Julia told him as he finally found a joint. He just smiled at her as he laid back in her bed, lighting the joint and taking a puff.

"Why are we fighting?" Jim asked, entering the room and shooting Tommy a look of disapproval.

"She's so dramatic," Tommy explained shortly. It really wasn't much of an explanation, as it covered most of the problems he had with Julia.

"Jim, have you seen my lipstick anywhere? The red one in the gold tube?" Julia whined with a pout.

"Yes, Julia, I borrowed it and forgot to put it back," Jim joked with an eyeroll. "Did you check the bathroom?"

Julia gasped, jumping up and running to the bathroom.

"You should probably start getting ready soon. And please, take a shower," Jim told Tommy pointedly. Tommy just scoffed and continued smoking.

"What time are we leaving?" Cyndi asked as she applied her blush.

"My lipstick!" Julia exclaimed excitedly from the bathroom.

"The car is picking us up at six-thirty. So be ready," Jim announced.

"I'll be ready," Tommy promised, taking another hit of the joint. Julia re-entered the room, taking the joint from Tommy and taking a hit.

"I found my lipstick," Julia announced happily, holding the gold tube up proudly.

"Oh, thank goodness!" Tommy gasped dramatically. "The night is saved."

"This is my signature color, Tommy. Sorry you have no style," Julia sneered.

"Are you two gonna fight all night?" Cyndi sighed, already sick of listening to them.

"Yeah, probably," Tommy shrugged.

"Julia, it's 6:29! You better be ready!" Jim called from the living room of their apartment.

"I'm ready, I'm ready!" Julia promised, rushing into the room. She wore a turquoise halter-style gown with a low back. The sparkles on her dress matched the sparkly silver eyeshadow she wore, and her hair was in big fluffy curls, feathered away from her face.

"You look very nice," Jim told her with an approving smile. Cyndi was also dressed up in a gold gown, with her usually crazy red hair smoothed and straightened. The guys were all in suits, although Tommy had decided to forego a tie and left the first few buttons of his shirt undone.

"Do you have your lipstick?" Tommy asked her with a chuckle.

"In my purse," Julia confirmed. The five of them walked outside to see a sleek black limousine waiting in the street.

"We're gonna embarrass ourselves tonight. I can feel it," Tommy whispered to Julia as they climbed into the back of the spacious vehicle where Michael was waiting for them.

"Speak for yourself. I'm a lady and will behave as such," Julia said with her head held high.

"Pfft, three drinks from now you're gonna be the sloppy nightmare we know and love," Tommy predicted, causing Julia to roll her eyes.

"Jules, your eyes are gonna get stuck like that with as much as you roll your eyes at Tommy," Steven chuckled.

"But seriously, can we all be on our best behavior this evening? This is a big deal," Michael reminded them nervously.

"We will," Tommy promised, before looking at Julia. "Did you bring any booze?"

Michael groaned loudly as Julia pulled a couple of mini bottles out of her purse.

"You guys are gonna send me into early retirement," Michael sighed, sinking back into his seat as the two of them guzzled the alcohol, cringing slightly as it made its way down their throats.

"This is our first televised red carpet. Please be on your best behavior," Cyndi told them with a maternal look. Julia suddenly sat up straight and pretended to hold a microphone in her hand.

"So, Tommy, what's been your favorite part about your career really taking off?" She asked in her best impersonation of a red carpet interviewer. She held the imaginary microphone out to Tommy for his answer.

"Definitely how much easier it is to get chicks these days," Tommy replied after thinking for a moment. The two of them burst into childish giggles, even making their bandmates laugh.

"Always the gentleman," Cyndi laughed, shaking her head at Tommy. Though they'd never say it aloud, Steven, Jim, Cyndi, and even Michael, truly did appreciate Julia and Tommy's ability to make light of a serious situation. The two youngest never seemed to get nervous before big events or important shows.

"And the Grammy for Album of the Year Goes to," Andy Williams announced. Tommy reached over instinctively and grabbed Julia's wrist in anticipation.

"Songs in the Key of Life by Stevie Wonder!"

Tommy and Julia looked over at each other. Julia gave a little shrug, clapping along with the audience.

"Told ya," Julia teased Tommy with a smile. Tommy just grinned at her, leaning over to her.

"Yeah, but I know how bad you wanna win Best New Artist. Even if you're trying to hide it," Tommy smirked. Julia just brushed him off, neither confirming nor denying his claim. Julia was starting to feel anxious as the ceremony dragged on. She was careful to look interested, always keeping in mind that there were eyes and cameras everywhere.

Looking down at her empty champagne glass, Julia did her best to fight a sigh. Any substances that had been in her system earlier in the evening had well faded by this point. She smoothed her dress, glancing around the dim theater at all the celebrities surrounding them. Winning the Grammy truly didn't matter to her at this point. She was sure that success was measured better by the crowd of stars they were regularly intertwined with. Some trophy on a shelf wasn't going to determine her success.

"And the Grammy for Best New Artist of 1976 goes to..."

This time it was Julia who reached over to grip Tommy's hand. All of her sentiments about success not being weighed by awards left her mind. All she knew was that she sincerely wanted to hear the band's name called.

"Stonehead!"

Julia heard an involuntary squeal leave her and quickly clamped her hand over her mouth. Tommy was rising to his feet, pulling her up with him and hugging her. She felt like someone else was controlling her movements as she followed her bandmates up to the stage, hearing the applause around them. It was as if she was walking on air as she watched Jim accept the award and approach the microphone. She didn't hear a word of the speech he gave, instead taking in the sights and sounds around her. It was impossible to make out any faces in the crowd, but Julia knew the people in the audience were the cream of the crop of the music industry. She was sure the adrenaline and pure happiness she was feeling could never be replicated.  All she could think of was telling her family and Robbie that they had won.

A few hours later, the band was at an after party, drinks in hand.

"Congratulations again, darling. We'll see you around, I'm sure," Mick Jagger told Julia with his usual confident flair. She nodded happily, finishing her cocktail as he floated away, Bianca by his side.

She had met him before, but their relationship was beginning to change from acquaintances to friends. That was beginning to happen more and more often with the gods of rock she had once considered idols. She looked around the dim room, her eyes finally landing on Cyndi and Tommy engrossed in a conversation with Cher. Julia quickly ordered another cocktail before making her way over to join the group.

"Hi, doll," Tommy greeted with a drunken smile. "Cher, have you met our dearest vocalist, Julie Brooks?"

"Haven't had the pleasure," Cher said, smiling at Julia kindly. "I love your lipstick."

Tommy and Julia immediately started laughing, much to the pop star's confusion.

"Julie's lipstick has taken up far more of my day than I ever imagined it could," Tommy barely explained.

"Thank you," Julia said, quickly turning her attention back to the star in front of her. "I love your style in general. I've always wanted to wear my hair so straight and smooth."

"Is it true you're only eighteen?" Cher asked, changing the subject quickly. Most people knew Julia was younger than the rest of the band and most of the industry. It only made sense that curiosity would get the best of people.

"I actually just turned nineteen earlier this month," Julia explained. As she said it, it really sunk in that she had won a Grammy at the tender age of nineteen. Suddenly, it seemed like the entire world was hers to conquer.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.3K 679 18
She misses them and they miss her. It's hard keeping in contact with someone who lives halfway across the world. They spent seven months apart, now r...
525K 10.3K 140
in a world where a sweet girl tries to be her best, she gets pushed down by those around her. she thought going to California for the goodwill games...
234K 3K 21
An international competition for junior league hockey teams is being held in Lo Angeles, Coach Gordon Bombay is picked to lead Team USA. He reunites...
4.4K 45 15
Jessa Haywood and her best friend, Sheldon Hopson, have accepted jobs as junior athletic trainers for team USA's Olympic hockey team. When Jessa acce...