Back to Where We Started From...

By songbird_kisses

It's 1979, and Julia Brooks is living the high life as a rockstar in California. After a particularly crazy n... More

Introduction
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty-One
Chapter Eighty-Two
Chapter Eighty-Three
Chapter Eighty-Four
Chapter Eighty-Five
Chapter Eighty-Six
Chapter Eighty-Seven
Chapter Eighty-Eight
Chapter Eighty-Nine
Chapter Ninety
Chapter Ninety-One
Chapter Ninety-Two
Chapter Ninety-Three
Chapter Ninety-Four
Chapter Ninety-Five
Chapter Ninety-Six
Chapter Ninety-Seven
Chapter Ninety-Eight
Chapter Ninety-Nine
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103

Chapter Sixty-Nine

708 21 10
By songbird_kisses

Patti was awake even earlier than usual. She stood in the kitchen making dough for biscuits as the pale sunlight just started to stream in through the windows. She hadn't slept well the night before, mostly because she knew her husband and niece would both be restless. She tried to prepare for the rough day ahead of them as well as she could. She had reminded Danny and Kelly, who had little to no memory of their uncle, about how Herb and Julia might seem distant.

"Morning," Herb mumbled as he walked into the kitchen. He went straight to the coffee machine, pouring himself a cup. "You're up early."

"So are you," Patti mused as Herb refilled her coffee cup, as she was still busy making dough.

"I didn't sleep much," Herb shrugged, sitting at the table. Patti just nodded knowingly. Herb wasn't one to talk about his feelings, and Patti didn't try to make him. They sat in comfortable silence for a few minutes as Patti worked on breakfast and Herb watched the sunrise as he worked through several cups of coffee.

By the time Danny and Kelly had made their way downstairs, Patti was just finishing up the biscuits and gravy.

"Do you think Julia wants breakfast?" Patti asked Herb, trying to sound nonchalant, despite the fact that they were both worried about her.

"I'll go see," Herb volunteered, getting up from the table. He made his way up to Julia's room, guessing that she would still be asleep. It was rare that she naturally woke up before eleven. He knocked on the door, not expecting a reply.

"Yeah?" Came Julia's voice from the other side. Herb pushed open the door, seeing her lying in bed, one hand on her pillow under her face.

"Morning," Herb said quietly. Julia glanced over to him, not lifting her head off the pillow. She looked tired, but Herb could tell she had been awake for a long time.

"Morning," she replied just as softly.

"Patti made breakfast. Are you hungry?" Herb asked her, sitting on the edge of the bed. She shook her head.

"No, but tell her thank you."

"Are you going to the game later?"

"I don't think so," she whispered, her eyes staring straight ahead at her wall.

"Are you doing okay?" Herb asked her gently, watching her face for any reaction. Julia sighed, tears clouding her blue eyes.

"I just wanna lay in bed and have a bad day. Can I do that?"

"Is that gonna make you feel better?" Herb asked her.

"Probably not, but at least I won't have to deal with anyone," Julia admitted with a deep breath.

"You don't wanna see anyone?" Herb clarified.

"Just this wall and the inside of my eyelids," Julia confirmed.

"Alright. If that's what you want," Herb nodded, getting up and leaving her room. He closed the door, heading back down to the kitchen. Patti was placing food on the table in front of Danny and Kelly. She looked up expectantly when she heard Herb come in.

"Is she coming?"

"Nope," Herb informed her, sitting down at the table. "She has decided to stay in bed and not interact with anyone today."

Patti took a seat across from Herb, giving him a look of disapproval.

"Herb, that cannot be good for her," Patti sighed.

"Why? It's what she wants to do," Herb reminded his wife.

"If we let her do what she wants all the time we would be living in chaos," Patti pointed out. Danny and Kelly giggled quietly.

"I don't want to argue with her today, Patti," Herb said, loading his plate with food.

"What about the boys? Maybe they can help," Patti suggested.

"If she'll talk to them. She made it pretty clear she wants to be alone," Herb pointed out. Patti struggled to come up with what to say. Herb and Julia shared a certain stubbornness, especially when it came to their feelings.

"Hopefully she'll get bored up there and decide to come down on her own," Patti said as everyone dug into their breakfast. "So does that mean she's not going to the game?"

"She said no."

"Well, I'm staying here, then," Patti decided. Herb didn't say it aloud, but he thought it was a good idea for someone to stay with her. Julia could be rash to say the least.

A few hours later, the boys were getting ready for their game in the locker room. Jack was lost in his thoughts, his mind not yet tuned into the game. He was relieved to have made up with Julia, but he was still worried about her. He knew today would be hard on her, and honestly, he wasn't sure exactly how to help her feel better. Herb walked into the locker room, his eyes landing on Robbie.

"It's gonna be a quiet one today," Herb informed them quickly. Robbie frowned, looking at his coach.

"Why's that?" He asked, but he was sure he already knew the answer.

"Your cheerleader isn't getting out of bed today," Herb told him, trying to sound more lighthearted than he felt. He didn't linger, heading to his office before much more was said. Robbie and Jack shared a concerned look.

"She doesn't miss games," Jack said dryly.

"Not since the time she was sick and the time her mother showed up," Robbie remembered. Jack watched as Robbie's face turned thoughtful, and then concerned. "I really hope her mother doesn't call her today."

"Should we go see her after the game?" Jack suggested. He really hoped Robbie would approve the idea. He cringed at the thought of Julia moping in bed alone all day.

"Yeah, that's probably a good idea," Robbie nodded.  Jimmy, who had been listening in from nearby, spoke up.

"Ya know, I don't wanna intrude, but I might be able to help out," he offered, remembering the heart-to-heart he and Julia had shared on his mom's birthday. Robbie and Jack both agreed, and no one brought it up again as they got ready for the game.

After beating the Oklahoma City Stars 5-3, the boys were getting dressed into their street clothes. Jack and Robbie were both pretty lost in thought, but they wasted no time getting changed. When Robbie left the locker room, he found his family waiting with Danny and Kelly in the lobby. He could tell as he approached them that they had been deep in conversation.

"Hey," Kathy greeted upon noticing her brother. He could hear the sadness in her voice, and he knew the conversation had been about Julia. Robbie greeted his family with as much enthusiasm as he could muster.

"I think me and a couple of the boys are gonna go over to see Julie," Robbie told his family. Danny perked up a little bit, obviously excited that there would be hockey players in the house.

"Send her our love," Beverly told him, a sympathetic look in her eyes. Robbie nodded, wishing his family goodbye as Jack and Jimmy came out to join him.

"OC, are you coming over?" Danny asked excitedly. Jack cracked a smile, giving Danny a pat on the shoulder.

"I sure am, buddy," Jack informed him, much to Danny's pleasure.

"He's coming over for Julie, not for you," Kelly reminded her brother with an eye roll.

"I know that," Danny insisted with an eyeroll. The boys chuckled as Danny just looked up with them. "But Dad said she doesn't wanna see anyone, so good luck."

Julia laid in bed, music coming softly from her record player. She had gotten up a few times to change records and go to the bathroom, but she had yet to venture downstairs. She knew Herb was at the game and the kids had probably joined him, but Julia could hear Patti moving around downstairs. She heard a car pull up, followed by the usual sounds of Danny and Kelly racing each other into the house.

"Look, just a warning," Robbie started as the boys got out of his car. "She's obviously not having a good day. I don't know what we're walking into, but just be patient with her."

Jimmy and Jack nodded, not saying anything as they trailed behind Danny and Kelly. The kids had begged to ride with the boys, which Herb obviously agreed to. They had managed to beat Herb home, but Robbie knew Patti would be here. They wouldn't dare leave Julia alone on a day like this.

"Mom! Mom, the boys are here," Danny exclaimed, running into the living room to find his mother. Patti looked completely lost, until she heard a few more pairs of feet walking in. Robbie, who was completely comfortable in the Brooks house, walked in first. He was followed by Jack and Jimmy, who looked far less comfortable.

"Hi, Mrs. Brooks," Robbie greeted as Patti went over to give him a hug.

"Hi, Robbie. Boy, am I glad to see you," Patti said with a single laugh. She had hoped Julia's friends might make an appearance to help coax her out of bed. She turned to the other two boys, giving them a warm smile.

"Hi, boys. Thanks for coming over. I haven't seen her yet today," Patti told them quietly, like she was worried Julia would hear her. "You guys are welcome to go check on her. Good luck."

The boys nodded, Jack and Jimmy following Robbie up the stairs and down the hallway towards her room. They could hear The Beatles coming from her record player before Robbie knocked gently on the door.

"I'm not getting out of bed," Julia announced quickly, like she had been expecting to hear a knock all day. Robbie hesitated for a second before pushing the door open slowly. The scene he saw was painfully reminiscent of what he had walked into the day her dad had died. Julia was curled up under her quilt, staring blankly at the wall.

"Jules," Robbie said softly from the doorway. She looked up, her face changing from surprise to sadness.

"I would ask why you're here, but that's probably a stupid question," she mumbled, not moving from her position. Jack swallowed hard, realizing just how down she was feeling. He felt even worse about the fight they had been in earlier that weekend. Without saying anything, he walked over, sitting beside her on the edge of the bed. She glanced up at him, her eyes glassy with tears. "Sorry."

"What are you sorry about?" Jack asked, frowning.

"I didn't come to the game," Julia shrugged. Jack chuckled once, shaking his head at her.

"It's alright, Jules. Don't worry about it. We weren't upset you didn't come. We just wanted to check in with you," Jack assured her. He examined her face, taking in how sad she looked. A permanent frown seemed to have taken over her face, and she wouldn't make eye contact with him for more than a few seconds. "How are you doing?"

"Fine," she said dismissively. Jimmy and Robbie walked over to her bed. Robbie sat on the end, while Jimmy remained standing.

"You can say you're sad, y'know. No one expects you to be fine today," Jimmy reminded her. Julia huffed, burying her face in her pillow so none of the boys could see her. She mumbled something that none of the boys could understand.

"What?" Robbie asked, trying to make out what she had said. She didn't respond immediately, and after a minute, they heard her sniff. Jack put a hand on her shoulder. She finally uncovered her face, which was now covered in tears.

"I'm just mad. I'm mad because my dad is dead and my mom all the sudden wants to be in my life again. One of my best friends is in rehab, and all I can think about is how I would kill to get to my dealer right now. I would feel so much better if I was high right now. I hate being sober sometimes. And I'm mad about that," she admitted, more tears falling down her cheeks.

The boys were caught off-guard, to say the least. Julia hadn't spoken much about her addiction and how she had been feeling since coming to Minnesota, and she had certainly never admitted to wanting to use. Jack looked to Robbie, unsure of what to say. Even Robbie looked a little lost for words.

"You might hate it, but you're doing it. You've been off coke and weed and all that for months now. And when Tommy gets out it'll be even easier," Jimmy spoke up. Julia wiped at her eyes, nodding. "And your dad would be really proud of you for that. And probably even for giving your mother a shot."

Robbie and Jack were both relieved to have Jimmy there, and especially that he seemed to know what to say. Julia reached her arms out to Jack, who responded quickly by pulling her into a hug. She wasted no time climbing into his lap, keeping her arms tight around him. Jack secured his arms around her waist, making himself comfortable on her bed. Robbie sat back, and Jimmy took a seat at her vanity.

"How was the game?" Julia asked softly after several minutes of silence.

"We won 5-3," Jack told her. Julia's pout turned into a bit of glare.

"You've never won a game I've missed," she pointed out. The boys just laughed at the way she sounded almost insulted.

"Well, don't miss any more games, and then we won't have to win without you," Jack teased her. Suddenly, all Julia could think of was the fact that she still hadn't admitted to them that she was leaving. She would be missing many more games. Fresh tears started falling down her face, much to Jack's dismay. "I was just kidding, sweetheart. I didn't mean it."

"No, it's not that," she assured him, wiping at her eyes. "I'm just grumpy. I haven't slept much."

Jack just rubbed her back, looking at Robbie for assistance. Robbie just shrugged, figuring she was just upset about her dad. They didn't ask any questions, just continuing to silently comfort her.

"Guys!" Danny exclaimed, rushing into Julia's room. Jack froze with Julia on his lap, but Danny seemed completely oblivious to the affection Jack was showing his cousin. "'Mom wants to know if you want to stay for dinner? Please, please, please stay for dinner!"

After the way Danny begged them, they quickly agreed. Robbie assured the boys that Patti's cooking would be more than satisfactory. After another hour of comforting words and a few more tears, Julia had been persuaded to get out of bed. After a quick shower and fresh pajamas, she wandered downstairs with the boys in tow. Herb and Patti were both relieved to see her, even if she still looked miserable.

"Look who's out of bed," Danny teased, dodging a smack from his sister and a glare from Julia. "OC, sit by me!"

"I remember when I used to be the favorite," Robbie mumbled, making Julia fully laugh for the first time all day.

"You're still Kelly's favorite," Julia smirked, noticing her younger cousin was actively avoiding Robbie, as usual.

Any worry Julia might've had about Herb catching onto her and Jack during dinner was squashed by Danny, who controlled the conversation for most of dinner. It was clear how much he looked up to Jack. Julia was glad to listen to the boys talk about hockey and be completely distracted. After dinner, she walked with the boys out to Robbie's car.

"Hey...thank you, guys. For coming over. I really needed it," Julia said as they stood in the cold driveway.

"You know we're always here for you," Robbie told her, giving her a hug. Jimmy followed with an awkwardly quick hug and a few words of reassurance. Julia turned to Jack, a soft smile on her face.

"Thank you. And I'm sorry again about the other night," she said. Jack hugged her tightly.

"Don't be sorry. I'd kiss you goodnight but I'm pretty sure Danny and Kelly are watching out the window," Jack told her quietly. Julia giggled, barely kissing his cheek as she pulled away.

"I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight, Jack."

"Goodnight, sweetheart. Try to get some sleep, alright?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 16 18
you are the twin sister of Shiloh nelson (not identical) and you have a huge family. (btw your family in this story are from Shiloh and bros on youtu...
58.2K 1.3K 186
Born into privilege but neglected by her parents Anastasia McKagan runs away to La and is introduced to the rockstar lifestyle on the sunset strip,li...
4.1K 44 15
Jessa Haywood and her best friend, Sheldon Hopson, have accepted jobs as junior athletic trainers for team USA's Olympic hockey team. When Jessa acce...
89 18 6
Five years after Romy and Felix's decade-long friendship burst into dramatic flames, she's back in the city. This time, everything is different. Romy...