Chapter 38

It was time for switchover. Yuuki and Zero were waiting by the gates of the moon dormitory. The night class would come out any moment.

"Not too many people here today." Stated Yuuki, relieved that there were only a few girls lingering around. Inside she was tad bit excited because today the night class won't be received with an overwhelming crowd. Which means she will have the chance to properly see her crush. Perhaps exchange few words as well.

"That's because the exams are tomorrow." Came the reminder from Zero which slapped Yuuki across the face with seriousness of the situation.

"That's right! Class with the lowest average has to work backstage and if it's not finished on time they can't attend the ball..." She exclaimed, feeling every bit frightened. If she doesn't pass and their class has to work the ball; their class present, Kageyama Kasumi will eat her alive.

Zero took notice of her tone. It changed from being frightened to depressed in short time. She looked so down that he couldn't hold back from asking.
"You really wanna go huh?!"

"Not really! We have our disciplinary committee duties and plus the class president is so fussy about it. So I'm not so sure what to do..." She blurted out everything in one breath. Trying her best to put the blame on class president. But Zero was not an idiot. Plus Yuuki was always so easy to read. He clearly saw through her intention. She really wanted to go and deep down was hoping to get a dance with Kuran Kaname.

Just then the door opened and the night class came out. Today Aiyora and Senri were leading the group. The pureblood waved a hand at Yuuki's direction and flashed her a smile as she passed her. Senri just threw the prefect a bored look. Yuuki figured long time back that the younger Kuran shared a close bond with the model. Yet how they connected was a puzzle she couldn't solve. According to Yuuki— Shiki and Rima's closeness made sense, they have similar personalities. But Aiyora was different, very lively and full of herself. Yuuki expected her to be more closer to the likes of Aidou Hanabusa not Shiki Senri.

The perfect was snapped out of her thoughts as she noticed Kaname passing by. He was walking with Ichijou, just few steps behind his sister.

Ichijou was the first to notice Yuuki. She was looking at Kaname with expecting eyes while the latter had his attention on the half-siblings. The blonde nudged the brunette and signalled him towards Yuuki. As a result Kaname turned to Yuuki and flashed a small smile. But no words were exchanged. Takuma looked back and watched Yuuki's face fall.

Zero noticed the cousins— Aidou and Kain discuss about that transfer student. He too was looking out for the girl and finally noticed her at the back of the group. Maria gave him a mysterious look before making the sudden stop in front of Yuuki.

Sensing sudden tension Aiyora looked back and saw Maria trying to touch Yuuki but before she could do so Zero intervened and yanked the brunette back.
Aiyora's eyes narrowed down in worry as she couldn't understand why Maria was suddenly interested in Yuuki. But before she could ponder on that any longer Senri dragged her to class.
.
.
.
"Hey! What going on?" Demanded Yuuki. After Zero brought her— no more like dragged her to the area where the swan-sculpture water fountain stood proud and tall.

"I told you already, stay away from that transfer student."

"I know! ...but why?!" She demanded once more. This time slightly irritated. Seriously this bossy attitude of his was getting under her nerve.

"Doesn't matter!" He snapped but then faced the water fountain and muttered the rest in a tone that could be described as desperate. "Just whatever you do... please don't get involved with her again! I beg you."

With that said he walked away. Leaving her to watch his retreating figure, confused.

Yuuki flinched at his words. Especially that last sentence. She understood his reasoning for hating vampires but now it was starting to get out of hand. He was taking things too far. He barely knew Maria yet for some reason he was choosing to act like she is his sworn enemy. He even went as far as to point his gun on her face when they first met. Even though Yuuki couldn't admit it out loud but Zero was really starting to make the headmaster's pacifist ideology difficult... as a matter of fact impossible. First it was Kaname that he couldn't stand and now it's Maria.