Chapter 63

Needless to say, fate has a funny way of getting back at you when you're least expecting.

After the way she left, Aiyora never expected or had any wish to step into the threshold of her mother's— well in more accurate term her grandmother's residence ever again. But here she was, sitting on their living-room face to face with her Grandmother, her uncle and her mother; who interestingly appeared upset and afraid of her at the same time.

Then again, she didn't think Kaname would be such a dirty bastard, who'd lure her into the car by lying to her about going to the Shiki residence. It was only when their car ride continued on for extended hour Aiyora got the first hint of what's happening.

But alas! It was too late...

Absolutely furious, she didn't speak to Kaname the entire way. However, that changed after they reached their destination. All her anger flew out of the window the moment the uniformed chauffeur opened the door of the vehicle. Climbing out of the car she clung to the older Kuran's arm, despite not speaking to him. And didn't let go even when they were inside, in the presence of the hosts.

Their second meeting was quite alike the first one— Everyone stared at the youngest pureblood in anticipation, while an uneasy silence lingered in the atmosphere.

"Aiyora dearest, it is so lovely to see you after such a long time. How have you been faring?" As expected, it was her grandmother Hanadagi Min-Unra who took the initiative to break the silence and diminish the rising tension in the air.

Unsure, Aiyora cast a quick glance at Kaname before she was forced to face her grandmother. Mastering a smile that was as fake as the latter's.

"Grandma..."

"Come..." The Hanadagi matriarch tapped on the empty space beside her, gesturing her granddaughter to come and sit with her.

Aiyora complied, hesitating. And it goes without saying, her hesitance is justifiable. It took her real courage to let go of the Kuran ancestors arm and go sit beside the current Senior member of the Hanadagi clan, on whom she used her power and put her to sleep during their last meeting. Well, even if Aiyora had thousands of reasons in defence of her action doesn't mean the woman will let it go.

But she was proven wrong. Or so it appeared.

"Do not worry about the past, it's all forgotten and forgiven." Her grandmother reassured, as if reading her mind. To further prove the authenticity of her words she even cupped Aiyora's face and kissed her on the forehead deeply.

"What you did was so noble. You gave your father the peace his family deprived him off."

Aiyora glanced at her lap, not wanting to make any comment.

"Whoever raised you, did a tremendous job. I have never seen a child so well raised, that too without the guidance of a proper parental figure. I wish my daughter had half of what you have,"

She paused to let out a bitter laugh.

"Usually daughters look up to their mothers and learn from them. In this case your mother should look up to you and learn."

Aiyora raised her eyes to meet her grandmother's mischievous gaze. And understood, the latter was indirectly throwing shades at Kaname and her mother.

As if a mutual understanding passed between them. A smirk appeared on both the grandmother and the granddaughter's lips simultaneously.

"The credit for my upbringing goes to the staff of the Shiki residence. They did everything they could..." Aiyora replied, glancing at Kaname from the corner of her eyes, just to watch him shift on the spot uneasily. "... without agenda."