Magia Negra

Nico slammed his hands on his keyboard in exasperation after he got defeated for the sixth time. He turned off his computer annoyed.

"Damn it." He stood up and looked around his dark stenching apartment. His eyes started to adjust to the darkness, paying a quick glance through the small opening of his curtains by his bed. He can't tell whether it's now evening or dawn. "How long has it been since I went outside?" His orientation of time was messed up.

He felt his stomach grumble. He can't even remember the last time he ate. He made his way to his fridge to find it with just a slice of leftover pizza from god knows when and cans of beer.

"What time is it now..." He scoffed. "Like it matters." He then grabbed the tray of canned beers from the fridge and nudged his way to the sofa, casually kicking anything he stumbled upon.

He placed the beers on the center table he can barely see. His hands patted across the sofa to try and find the TV remote when a cold dry hand slowly grabbed his wrist.

"What the hell?!?" He instantaneously pulled his hand away, hurriedly stood up and darted away from the sofa. He walked backwards facing the direction of the sofa, his eyes squinting to try and make out whoever or whatever it is that's sitting on his couch.

His back finally touched the wall, he spread his left arm to reach the light switch for the living room while not taking his eyes off from the dark still figure on his sofa. 

A gust of cold stinking wind swept across Nico's face that made him close his eyes and as soon as he was about to gag with the smell, the dark figure is now inches away from his face. He was then paralyzed, his body won't move and even his eyes won't close. 

He knows this isn't because of fear, something is forcing him to stay very still. This sensation was weirdly familiar to him. 

"How pitiful you have become." An old gurgling voice came out from the dark figure. The pressure he felt across his chest intensified as he felt its gaze at him. The dark figure's head then slithered its way to the side of his face, the stench grew even stronger and he felt like he was about to faint, but a powerful force was keeping him awake.

"You are not worthy of the great magick you have in you." It whispered in his ear. His body started to shiver as if something within him was being drawn out from his body. But the sensation suddenly halted when the dark figure was thrown across the room. He was then freed from the disabling power, so sudden that it threw him to his knees, panting.

A loud blood curdling shriek came out of the being. Nico felt the distasteful outrage and utter resentment from the being across his room. He then stood and reached for the light switch and flipped it on. The being suddenly gone; leaving him enveloped in fear and uncertainty of what just happened.

When a little composure took over, he stumbled his way to his bed to look for his phone. He dialed the phone number he never thought he would ever call again. The other line picked up in just one ring that made him think that his call was expected.

There was a moment of brief silence before he was able to speak. 

"Má...?" He called out with a broken voice.

"Nicolito, hijo." His mother's comforting voice spread a soothing sensation to his being.

"Mamá, just now---"

"Tu hermana...she's gone." The unexpected news took Nico aback but oddly, his mother's voice had a hint of worry over him instead of grief.

"That was...my sister?" His eyes widened as realization hit him. The familiar power he felt was his sister's.

"I was right then; she paid you a visit. You must have done something to attract her, hijo. What did you do? "

He stood frozen; his frustration grew as the enormity of his mistakes became clearer. He fucked up, BIG TIME.

"Nicholas, what did you do?"

"Nada, mamá. I don't even know how to use a simple magic trick." He lied. He paced across his room and reluctantly peeked through his window as if someone was watching him from outside despite the fact that he's on the 21st floor. "But what happened to Val, má?"

There was a short silence followed by a deep sigh before his mother responded "She crossed the line, hijo. She has been using forbidden magic. I tried to warn her but..." He can hear the fear in her voice now. "Mi hijo, you have to be careful. Her physical body is gone but..."

"Entiendo, mamá. I felt her power but she wasn't able to hurt me. Why...how did I repel her?

"Your magick is much more powerful than hers, Nicolito. If you harness your magic well enough, you can even face your tia head on."

"What are you talking about? I don't have powers, mama. I rejected it! I don't have anything to do with this bullshit." His frustration began to grow even more as he recollected the day he stowed away from home because he couldn't take what's been going on within his family anymore.

"It's in your blood, mi hijo. You can't just reject it. Now you have to protect yourself using your gift."

"La mierda!" He cussed and cut the phone call. He couldn't believe what's happening. He flew across the world to get away from this but it still made its way to him. Somehow he felt like he was manipulated to use magic through his aunt. He slumped on his bed with rage.

"You can even face your tia head on." His mother's words echoed through his ears.

Are you just using me, tia? Do I have something that you want? Another idea crossed his mind. Or are you trying to get rid of me?

He stood up and made his way to his closet. He reached out to the furthest corner of the overhead. He felt the leather hardbound book with his hand. A shudder crawled up his body knowing what he's about to unfold. He grabbed and pulled it out.

He dusted off the family heirloom that he can't get rid of; along with his other "inheritance" from his coming of age ceremony

"Just wait, Lou. I will make everything right."