14

The heat of the day had ebbed to a comforting warmth

The heat of the day had ebbed to a comforting warmth. The sunshine had lost its brightness and the colors of the verandah softened. The last of the sun's rays cosseted behind soft grey cloud.

The branches swayed in the wind, creaking into the gusting air as a warm hue of orange painted over the entire school, leaving bristling shadows that danced across the outdoor seating area, coincidentally Nora's favorite spot throughout the school building. Secluded, located in the very center of the school buildings where they merged outside.

Pillars surrounded the area and an old wrinkly bench that aged with time, having been there for decades. The sound of crows cawing as they flew into the setting sun that blazed across the sky.

The overhead trellis that had branches and vines climbing, twisting and wrapping themselves around the lattice had created a delicate pattern of shadows and iridescent rays of light that shone down on the student council president whom sat cross legged on the bench, his ocean blue eyes skimming over their finance reports of the month.

He thought a change of setting would help him get his work done faster so that he could head home earlier than usual.

The sudden protrusion of footsteps echoing against the hard concrete floors as the crisp brown leaves fluttered across the pavement as Teru stood up at the sudden appearance of a girl that he recognized to be one of his fellow second-years. He had talked to her a few times, but they weren't too close.

She look flustered, her thumbs playing around with one another as Teru smiled simply, awaiting her next words.

"U-Umm... Minamoto-kun! I ... I've liked you ever since first year!" She blurted out. He could tell that she was flustered and embarrassed as he tried to think of words to let her down gently since she overall meant no harm. The tips of her ears were a blazing fury red and she could barley make eye contact with him that he felt kind of bad.

But it would only make him feel worse if he lied to her about reciprocating her feelings as he rubbed the back of his neck. "I see.. I'm sorry but .. There's someone else that I like.." They were the words enough to shatter any girl's heart, especially since he was so docile and gentle about it, even a small, almost unnoticeable faint blush that crept onto his cheeks while talking about the mystery girl that was enough for everyone to envy.

"I've liked her for a long time, and I wouldn't want to be with anyone else but her. So .. I'm sorry.." He said softly as the girl looked up to him, disappointment was evident on her face, but she wasn't shocked as she looked up, slightly teary eyed, thanking him for his time as he waved her off with a sigh.

"Were you there the entire time, Nora?" He asked turning around as a girl emerged from the shadow of a pillar with a smile on her face as the wind fluttered her hair a bit. "Maybe. It's convenient when the nurses office has a window that's right above this area." She pointed upward as he remembered she was correct.