20

The air felt different

The air felt different. Heavier, with a wisp of a foul scent that lingered. Nora felt it. It tickled her nose and messed with her hair, entangling her mind in an accursed sickness deep into her soul; a disease called thought. It plagued her very being as she stared deeply at the large school building that towered over her form on the Saturday night.

Teru had already gone ahead and slept, as they had gotten back home at two in the morning, which was a relatively easy day for them. Nora had snuck out as she now sat in front of the building, her tail waved patiently as she was running mental stimulation through her head.

There was someone .. something inhabiting the building, leaving their wretched stench everywhere. At first, she had believed it to be Hanako, the scents were similar but yet different. So she had ruled him out as neither the Seventh School Wonder nor a Mystery either. It was .. a tedious apparition.

A new one. And they also had a bond with a human at the school. Nora was weary.

They knew how to stay hidden and deceit, especially while changing the rumors of supernaturals at the school, giving both herself and Teru quite a bit of extra work to do, to the extent that they even had to rely on Hanako for help in keeping the supernaturals at bay. That was at the very least.

The breeze swept past her fur and the moonlight beamed down on her as her shadow began to dance along with her movements. Her paws patted against the pavement as she slowly began her way back. However, it was not to the Minamoto manor, but rather their compound to a certain library where a book she had wanted was residing there.

At least that was what Keiko had told her.

There was no need for a lock considering there was already someone inside of the library. It was moderately sized, not as big as the usual libraries, but inside the library were special books, specifically for exorcists about rituals, supernaturals, apparitions, their ancestors and how to subdue them.

The person on library duty that night was already asleep, only a candle dimly lit the library as Nora quietly roamed the isles, finding the specific and certain book that she wanted and needed. There was something bugging her about supernaturals.

Kou, as per usual woke up first, or at least that was what he had thought as he descended the stairs only to find Nora sitting on the couch alone with a thick book in her hand. "Nora .. nee?" He called out as she let out a hum, her scarlet eyes not leaving the book as she flipped the page intently, writing something down on a sheet of paper with magic.

He slowly walked over. "What're you reading? No .. more importantly, have you slept?" Usually on Saturdays, he would find her asleep with Teru until noon. It was a first to see her wide awake on one of her weekends where she would recuperate. "Not really. I've just found something rather interesting."

Her notes were unreadable to him as he grimaced, struggling to read them in the slightest. "Well okay .. Good luck, Nora-nee!" He tried to encourage as she finally looked up with a smile, ruffling his hair as she readjusted the reading glasses atop the bridge of her nose.