37

Rhesus came from a humble family, a fallen noble clan that used to previously serve the chrysanthemum heirs of the throne, a family that ran the political world and protected the crown with their lives

Rhesus came from a humble family, a fallen noble clan that used to previously serve the chrysanthemum heirs of the throne, a family that ran the political world and protected the crown with their lives. The decline of their influence had struck after a new emperor usurped the throne.

He was the only one left behind of his family along with his frail mother and younger sister, both who had passed when he had come back from fighting on the front lines.

Grief and anguish were something that any man at that time was used to, an era of war and bloodshed .. the fighting seemed to come and go nonstop that they had run out of places to put the dead bodies of samurai, shoguns and other military.

They seemed to be on the losing side of the war.

Fighting for what? Their home?

Hokkaido was known as the holy land, many tried to taint it and claim it as their own and conquer Japan. They left not a single man, woman or child alive .. except one. It was when he was in search of any survivors of the rampage that he stumbled upon a woman. She was so still .. he was sure that she was dead, until she'd grabbed his leg, whispering quietly for help.

Yvonne .. he was enthralled by her. She was the most beautiful woman he'd ever laid eyes on. Even if greed and lust didn't contaminate his heart as it did for others .. their was something in her ruby red eyes that seemed to allow him to open up his heart for a woman like her.

In gratitude for saving her life .. Yvonne confessed that she was a witch. At first, he didn't believe her. Merely because witches of their time were not just rare, but evil. There were more bad than good of them, because of that, many of them were to be killed on sight. Fortunately, the woman was not one of them.

It was due to her .. that he had been able to rise as a hero in the war.

He who had found a purpose to finally begin pouring his soul into his blade .. until he became the sharpest sword of the time, the protector and defender that brought salvation, the morale of the army.

Rhesus was a simple man .. or at least that was what his wife called him. He had everything any man would ever want. Money, honor, a wife .. he had revived the legacy of his clan and fought upon his blade like divine retribution. A hero amongst all others, the one that swore his body and laid it down for their country.

"So you really can do anything .." He let out a sound of awe as the woman pounced on him. Her fur was a silverine white, almost like a siamese cat. She giggled and transformed back into her human form, laying on his chest.

"I long to be a human one day .. I don't want to be a witch anymore!" Yvonne declared, staring into his eyes as she inched her face just millimeters away from his own. Their eyes seemed to stare into the reflection of one another, never ending a glassy sky of mirrors. "Why not?"

"I have too many lives .. Besides, don't you think the village folk would be less scared of me if I was human?"

He blinked a few times in confusion. "Love, they aren't scared of you at all."