7

The rain came, oblivious to the life it gave

The rain came, oblivious to the life it gave. It washed the world, quenching soil and the life whom depended upon it. In either warmth or coldness, sunlight or moonlight, rain came, humble to its role. In the almost-spring afternoon, it was the percussion to the birdsong and the bringer of brightness to every hue of bark and leaf.

It floated in gentle waves, as if gravity was a soft music from the Earth, a sweet beckoning serenade. Two brothers walked underneath its downpour with umbrellas in hand as they stepped out of the grocery store.

Puddles rippled in multitudes of waves as their foot made contact with the small body of water that had formed itself over on the concrete. A domino effect as one hit the other and the other, continuing, making a ripple.

Cerulean eyes stared up at the bleak cloudy sky as his brother discussed plans for dinner.

Suddenly, the younger of the two had stopped walking, immediately halting the older one who was holding the umbrella, careful not to leave his brother in the heavy rain. "Kou?" Teru had called out to the blonde who remained unresponsive.

The exorcist peered over the younger's shoulders, eyes locking at whatever Kou was staring at in the dark alleyway as a pair of slit olive green eyes stared back at them. A wild cat shriveled in the alleyway stared at them, it's eyes bore into their souls as Kou gulped and took one step forward as his older brother placed a hand on his shoulder.

The younger blonde turned around with an unsure, wavering expression as Teru shook his head, causing Kou to sigh as they returned home.

It had been some time since they had seen Nora. The house returned back to normal when she had left. It was quieter. Although the witch herself didn't speak as much as them, remaining wordless most of the time, the house felt a little bigger and also a little emptier without her presence everywhere out of the blue.

Teru was still perplexed over his mother's intention of making him become Nora's contractor instead of his father who was likely much more suited for the job.

The two of them had a different list of terms and conditions than she did when she had a contract with Keiko. The enchanted paper laid in front of them as they listed a long list of details about what they wanted from one another. Even despite the fact that Teru wouldn't be able to see the witch for the next eight to nine months.

As they signed the contract, Teru noticed something when she had simply written down her signature. "Witch of the Void?" He inquired as she nodded. "That's me."

This was new information to him as he blinked. "I also need a name from you to seal the contract." She tapped the sheet of paper. A new owner meant a new name. But Teru and everyone else had adjusted to calling her Nora, so instead he had a different idea, snapping his fingers.

"You don't have a surname right, Nora?" The boy had asked as she nodded her head patiently awaiting his conclusion.  He let out a hum, unsure of how to take this. In all honesty, the twelve year old boy was bad at naming, anything and everything.