Chapter~58: Two Children

The red rain washes down upon the field of pure green blades and frosts bitten lilys, a sense of mortality being broken that came with the flood.

Hundreds.

Thousands.

Everything.

But not the hands of those monsters that tower and eat to regain the sense of humanity they wish to hold onto, no.

But to the monsters known as man, a far worse force than anything the titans ever did.

Because it wasn't their fault, most knew that.

They knew that.

One of them's chest heaves once, a rapid breath as their eyes fly open to a blue sky, stray clouds sewn into the view. Moving a finger, the feeling comes back, the grass brushing against her body, a shade keeping her calm and content from a dream...or was it a reality?

Letting out another breath, she pushes herself up onto her elbows, just staring at the villages and towns from the tree and hill view.

Sitting up fully, she reaches a hand up to clasp the silver ring, which now hung on a chain around her neck, but the weight was someone else's.

"Hey, Rin!"

Upon hearing her name, she turns to see a boy with wavy blonde hair, long enough to be pulled back into a ponytail with stray strands lose. His eyes meet hers's as green as grass they grew about them. A breeze blows, making him pulls his jacket around him as he smiles at the girl.

"Suka," Rin responds with a smile; of course, she has changed too. Her black was wavy, but she kept it ear length, and her brown eyes could rival rich chocolate. Suka sits down next to her, pulling out two wrappings handing one to her.

"Thanks, did you swipe these from the kitchen?" she asks, taking out a sandwich and taking a bite. Suka shakes his head "Kenny saw you leave an hour ago, said I might as well take lunch with me to."

Sighing, Rin bites her lip "Four years and somehow we're still kids to him?"

"I mean, we were eight when he started teaching us, now we're twelve technically we are still kids." tries Suka sitting cross-legged rocking back and forth a bit. Rin pulls her knees up and plays with the ring that was supposed to be a promise.

"M-... Kidda treats us like adults." Rin notes before turning her head to Suka, "Why do you think that is."

"Doesn't sound like a question."

"More of a theory...what are the chances of us inheriting the Colossal? Or the Attack Titan? Or the Control Titan? I mean, what if they can't end this war?" Rin refers to the ongoing mission to were those who she looked up to was across the sea right now.

Suka lowers the sandwich from his lips "I wanna think they will... we've always been lucky, haven't we?" he puzzles, making Rin's brows furrow "How so?"

"When stripping it all away, we're just orphans from the Underground. What were the chances of us making it to the surface, let alone having someone like Kidda and Levi-"

"Don't say his name." reinforces Rin, the venom in her voice practically gushing. Suka scoots closer, putting a hand on her shoulder "You know it's true though he fought the hardest for kids like us to come to the surface, aggressions aside-"

"Aggressions aside?" repeats Rin standing "Aggressions aside! He's the reason- He-"

"Calm down I didn't mean it like that." fights Suka standing as well facing the girl who was basically his sister. His shoulders drop, trying to push the thought out of his mind "He wasn't the only one shouting that day."

"I know..." she admits. Suka smiles a little at this. "Plus, he taught us some great things. Levi cares."

The words resound as silence fills between them; they were never meant to hear the words spoken that day about a year and a half ago. The two were just on their way to a lesson with Hange. They just happened to pass by the wrong door at the wrong time.

****************************************************

Suka held Rin's hand, trying to pull her away down the hall as steps came to the door, but Rin's eyes were glued to it, unmoving. Hands slipping, Suka falls back to the floor as the door opens and Levi walks out.

Without even turning back, he slams it shut shoulder heaving. Suka and Rin's eyes widen. All those words, shouting, all came from Levi. Flickering his eyes to the side as he began to walk, Levi freezes seeing the two.

Suka stands staring at the ground, but Rin can't take her eyes away as pools began to form in them. Biting his lip, Levi knees down, beginning to reach out his right hand "I-"

"DON'T!!!" screams Rin only because she saw something was missing. Taking Suka's hand, the two run away, leaving Levi alone in guilt.

****************************************************

"He cares? Clearly not enough," states Rin turning towards the far wall in the distance "You and I, we're never gonna get a swat at any titan..."

Suka's eyes soften sadly "That's supposed to be good...what Levi did was bad, but at least I've accepted the fact that...Kidda was apart of it too."

Rin shakes her head, clasping her hand around the ring "Kidda keeps her promises; that's why she gave me this as a promise that she would come back and a promise that I wouldn't give up on them."

Nodding, Suka walks, overtaking her hand making her let go of the ring "And it doesn't bother you that the previous person who wore that ring couldn't keep their promise."

Rin forms a bit of a smile "Unlike Levi...I always keep my promises."