Chapter Forty-Two~Once Upon A Time

(PS: This is my favorite song in the series and the English version is used in this chapter. I love it so much!)

I look him in the eyes and sit down fully holding onto Kenny's hand.

He looks at me "For a long time, I actually figured I was the strongest man in the world. Until I meet your father, aginst such overwhelming power, I had nothing. After all, he could've crushed me to death at any moment. Violence was all I had, and for the first time, it'd failed me. Lookin' back on it now, I don't think my family's persecution was all that big a part of what drove me. But thing is he let me go. He was an omnipotent king, and he bowed down to a piece of trash like me. His titan form had shocked me plenty, but when he bowed, that rattled something inside me like nothing ever had before. I asked if he had any use for my blade and Uri nodded. Next time the council met, the man who tipped me off about Uri was gone. In his place sat the Reiss' new dog, legs kicked up on the table'. I had found myself a new line of work. I felt a bit pathetic for doin' it, but that did bring an end to the Ackermann's persecution."

Levi nods "But I guess in the outskirts didn't hear that so that's why Miksas's family was still hit-"

"Will you shut it, runt, this has to do with you too. By that time I found Kuchel and you. You were the only thing she left, god you were on the brink of death. I'm just so kind I wouldn't let you die, but by then I couldn't be a parent either. Taught you everything you needed to know to survive in the underground. After that, I went back up to Uri, I thought I was serving the strongest around. In our world, the one on top is whoever can prove that they're the strongest. All you need is power, which one day was rivaled by Andriana."

My mouth gaps a little "Mom?"

Kenny nods "Rod heard about a girl who could control titans and brought her up to Sina. Of course, I didn't know why she up there. But one threat leads to another, Rod threatened to kill Andriana if she and Uri didn't do shit. Andriana was willing to take that chance, but damn Uri was too kind-hearted. One thing lead to another, nine-month later a baby girl was born."

The two of us giggle at this before he continues "Never knew why once again, but I was ordered to help Andriana raise you. At first, I wasn't much help, neither of knew how to raise a kid. But after a little of getting to know each other and the kid we had to raise, it came naturally. Believe me, when I say Uri always wanted to meet you when he knew his time was running out I made him a promise saying I would take care of you and your mother."

"And then the power was passed on." I say, Kenny nods "Just like Uri said. Only took a glance for me to know he wasn't gone. Rod's daughter preached to anyone who'd listen. That same talk about love and peace. His words from her mouth. How'd they found the time to talk such useless shit? Is it a luxury that only the powerful can afford? Would anyone feel that way if they just had that power? What about...me? That's when my squad was put together so I could achieve a dream of what? Becoming kinder?"

Kenny pats the serum "Swiped this sucker out of Rod's bag back in the cave. Seems if I just stick myself, I'll turn into a big, strong titan. One of the dumb ones, unfortunately. But for a while, it oughtta keep me...alive."

Levi scoff "You had the time and strength to inject yourself before we got here if you wanted. Why didn't you?"

"Fair point. I guess I'm just scared. if I don't inject it right, then I might turn out the same as Rod. All messed up-like." 

"I know you're not just sitting here waiting to bleed to death. Surely you have a better excuse than that."

"Well, runt, the thing is, I don't feel like dyin' without my dream comin' true...But I see now. After all this time I think I see why Uri did it." Kenny begins laughing weakly "We humans, we're all the same. Every last one of us. For some, it's drinkin'. For some it's women. For some, even religion. Family. The king. Dreams. Children. Power. All of us had to spend our lives drunk on somethin'. Else we'd have no cause to keep pushin' on. Everyone...was a slave to somethin'. Even him."