Chapter Fifty Two~Andriana Means Darkness

1,820 years ago.

Our ancestors Ymir Fritz made a contract with the Devil of All Earth and obtained the Power of the Titans.

Upon her death, Ymir's spirit was split into the Ten Titans.

These Titans defeated the great nation of Marley, and conquered the continent for themselves, under the name of the Eldian Empire leading into the lands Dark Ages.

The subjects of Ymir deemed all the other races interior to their own and violently oppressed them. They stole wealth and land forced other people to bear their children, and wiped out some bloodlines entirely.

This ethnic cleansing continued for around 1,700 years. But the fallen nation of Marley planned to use the Eldia's arrogance to bring it down from within. And it worked. Marley brought seven of the Ten Titans under its control and used them to win the Great Titan War 80 years ago.

The Eldian King at the time erected three Walls on the island of Paradis, and he fled there along with a great many of his people. Our people were abandoned and left behind on the mainland, but, despite our history, the gracious people of Marley let us live and stay on their land.

That's the story I had been told all of my life.

That these people let us live.

And yet my whole life never had I seen the sun once.

This wasn't living it was hiding and why? Because I have royal Eldian blood in my veins? Because I'm a Fritz? So we have to live in the dark. That's what my name means anyway, Andriana means darkness. 

Was I truly royalty among Devils? Or was the world just hell.

Dreaming was all we had, my sister and I.

Dina always thought she knew best.

But even together we could only dream. 

Dreaming with our two necklaces.

We grew together, we did everything together.

When we were grown-up we were sent by a man called the Owl to a group of fellow freedom fighters. I remember walking into the room with my sister, she was so confident, I could only help but look around at the fellow Eldain's who wanted freedom.

That's when I first meet him, the man who was able to get me to open my heart.

Grisha.

Dina and I were all that remained of the royal family on this land. She taught them the secret of the Titans that only we knew before. They all believed we were the path to victory. We explain how our family refused to fight so they fleed.

Grisha always went on about freedom and I would ask him about the sun. It was easy for anyone to say I had fallen in love with him.

But dreams never last.

I was always too scared to tell anyone, so within a year I had let my sister Dina marry him while I stood on the sidelines, only of use when called upon. For example, my sister wasn't able to have a child because of an accident.

But you could only imagine how I felt when Grisha still being the loyal friend he was asked me to bear his child for my sister. For those nine months I felt bliss, Grisha wouldn't leave my side and then I had the baby and it was as if Dina had the child.

My baby or rather there child's name was Zeke.

I still loved him like an aunt, but to see him treat my sister as his mother broke parts of my heart. 

Years passed and things change a turning point for the Restorationists came. The Marleyan government required subjects of Ymir to become Marleyan warriors capable of serving as a vessel for the Ten Titans.