Off At War

A/N: I just want to use this update to say thank you for all the love on this book. It means a lot to me. Special shout-out to weakfish19 and macinalifeboat interacting with you two is the best part of posting.

“Eliza he will be fine,” Angelica told her for the hundredth time today but she just couldn’t believe her. Her husband was off at war, fighting for his life and the life of their country every day. She was proud of him of course but she was also scared. Every time his letters didn’t come as they usually did her heart would drop to the pit of her stomach and stay there until she got a letter confirming he was all right.

She knew too many widows and all of them had lost their husbands due to the war and it was scary knowing that it was very possible that she’d be the newest widow in town. And despite her sister's best efforts she would continue to worry until Alexander was safe at home for good and the God-awful war was over.

“You keep saying that but we can’t know for sure. Men die every day off at war and there is nothing preventing Alexander from being the next man to die fighting for this country.” She said stubbornly and her sister sighed.

Eliza sort of envied Angelica, right now her sister was not married so didn't have to worry about the love of her life dying. She had no idea what it was like worrying about your spouse every day like Eliza did. And while Angelica was doing her absolute best to assure her sister that everything would be fine, Eliza could not and would not believe it until Alexander was safe at home.

“You’re right, we don’t know for sure, nobody can know for sure, but we have to have faith.”

“That’s easy for you to say, you’re not married, you don’t have a husband to worry about.” The words she’d been trying so hard to hold back came tumbling out of her mouth and she wished she could take them back when she saw the pained look on her big sister's face. But she can’t take them back no matter how bad she wanted to, she’s said them and she meant it too. That’s probably what made it worse. She meant them and Eliza knew her sister knew that as well.

Her sister was only trying to help her. She knew that, but her worrying for Alexander had made her short-tempered and that’s why she said what she said. In her right state of mind, she would have never dreamed of throwing something like that in Angelica's face when she was only trying to comfort her.

“I can not believe you, Eliza,” Angelica said in disbelief. “You know what? I think my presence is only making you worse so I’m gonna go.” She stated as she stood up from the couch that she and Eliza were seated on.

“Angelica I’m sorry, It was wrong of me to say something like that.” Eliza apologized, pulling her sister back down to the couch. “I really am sorry, I’m just worried about Alexander.”

“I know you're worried about him Eliza but if you snap at me again I'm leaving,” Angelica warned.

Eliza smiled at her sister, she knew she wouldn't actually leave her in her state of worry, but she promised to keep her temper in check. “I won't, don't worry.”

“Good.”

“Now we've gone through everything new going on in your life,” Eliza started changing the subject to something light-hearted. “Except for one thing.”

“And what is that?” Angelica asked skeptically.

“Your love life!” Eliza exclaimed and Angelica groaned. This was always a fun topic for Eliza because Angelica was so secretive about it. She rarely knew anything about her sister's love life unless she or Peggy dragged it out of her. And Eliza's previous outburst reminded her that she had yet to interrogate her sister about this subject.

“So is there anyone special?” Eliza questioned and she noticed the faint blush that arose to Angelica's cheeks. Eliza knew that if they were out in public at a social event Angelica would have never let that blush show. She was incredibly good at preventing her cheeks from flushing, a skill that Eliza was determined to learn. But since she was in the comfort of her sister she allowed that tiny color to show on her cheeks and that's all Eliza needed to get excited.

“So there is someone!” Eliza squealed.

“Maybe I am seeing someone.” Angelica casually said and Eliza frowned at her caginess. She needed more than that. She needed the man's first and last name, his social status and even more to determine if he was any good for Angelica.

“Name?” She questioned

Angelica smirked an incredibly mischievous one too and Eliza wondered why. “Thomas Jefferson.”

“Oh my God!”