I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

It was Christmas Eve, one of the best days of the year. The first best day of the year was Christmas, no other day beat Christmas, it was always the best.

It wasn't even about the presents, though Coretta did love those, it was also about the decorations, the movies, the candy, and the cheeriness of everybody. Everyone was so happy around Christmas time, unless you were a scrooge. Coretta didn't like those.

Everything about Christmas was the absolute best. There was just no denying it.

So with all the greatness that was Christmas and Christmas Eve, it was extremely hard to fall asleep. Especially when Santa might be in her house right now and what was more exciting for a five-year-old than Santa?

How could she possibly fall asleep knowing that Santa would be visiting her? She didn't know how she did it last year, because it was really hard.

She wasn't tired at all but she knew she needed to go to sleep so when she woke up it would be Christmas. But she just couldn't.

She started to hum a Christmas Carol she learned in school, she had forgotten the title and the words to the song but she knew the melody. So she laid in bed, eyes wide open, and hummed the melody.

Her humming was interrupted though, there was a bang down the hall where her living room was. It wasn't a loud bang and if she was asleep she wouldn’t have even woken up. But she was awake, awake, and now scared.

Then it occurred to her, it was probably Santa. Jolly ole Saint Nick and he was nothing to be afraid of.

So Coretta slowly got out of bed and tiptoed down the hall and into the living room. She stayed just by the threshold and scanned the room.

That was when she saw him.

The great Santa Claus dressed in his signature red suit. He didn't have white hair like all the pictures she saw, instead, he had a head full of curly black hair. Kind of like her dad. But this Santa Claus did have a white beard.

But he was with a woman, a woman who with a closer look Coretta realized was her mom.

What was her mom doing with Santa Claus and why did they seem so familiar with one another?

They must be good friends, she decided, it was probably why her presents were so amazing every year.

But friends weren't supposed to kiss, she didn't know much but she knew that. And that's exactly what mommy and Santa Claus were doing.

She also knew that when you were married you weren't supposed to kiss other people and when you did do that it caused a lot of drama. You could thank The CW for that knowledge.

She watched as they kissed for a moment more and then they began to put the presents under the tree.

“You have to make it look nice.” Her mommy scolded and then she just completely pushed Santa out of the way and began to fix the presentation of the presents. Santa sighed and began to work on something else.

The interaction reminded her so much of her parents and it brought tears to her eyes.

Her daddy was going to be so sad.

She shook her head before heading back to her room. She had seen enough and she had a lot to think about.

Was she supposed to tell her dad?

She didn't know.

She woke up happy, really super duper happy! It was Christmas for Pete's sake! But then she remembered she had a very important conversation to have with her father and mother.

A conversation that would probably end in tears, from her and her dad. She was in no way looking forward to that.

So as she got out of her bed her spirits were a little dampened.

She slowly made her way to the living room where her mommy and daddy were sitting, curled up to each other.

Oh, they looked so happy and she hated to break the peace, but she had decided last night, before she drifted off to sleep, that she would tell her daddy.

She made her way to her parents and snuggled up in the middle of them. She discreetly glared at her mother and if she wanted her mother to notice her bad mood, it was nobody's business but hers.

“Morning, girly.” Her mom smiled and Coretta really saw no need for the smiles.

“I have something to tell you, daddy.” She somberly announced, she was getting straight to the point, even if part of her wanted to stall.

She really wasn't enjoying this.

“What is it?” He asked with a glance towards his wife.

She took a deep breath before the words came tumbling out of her mouth.

"Isawmommykissingsantaclaus.” The looks on their faces had told her that neither of them understood a word she said.

“Can you repeat that?” Really? He wanted her to repeat the most heartbreaking news ever. Those words… they left a bad taste in her mouth.

She gave an exasperated sigh, but really she couldn't blame them, they were old and old people had bad hearing. “I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus.” She repeated, much slower than the first time.

She observed both of her parent's reactions, waiting for the waterworks she was sure would follow her devastating confession.

Thankfully none came, instead, her parents were smiling. What on Earth could they be smiling about?

“It's fine sweetheart, mommy was just giving Santa a kiss on the cheek.” Her dad assured her.

She gulped, “really?” She questioned, hoping what she had heard was the truth.

“Really.” Her mom nodded and boy, was Coretta happy. She could jump for joy, she was so happy. She settled on wrapping her tiny arms around her parents in a tight embrace.

They both chuckled at her reaction, but she didn't care, she was just happy.

“How about we start opening the presents?” Her mom suggested and she nodded her head.

Of course, she wanted to open presents, especially now that she knew everything was okay.

She leaped off the couch and headed to the Christmas tree. She scouted out the biggest box there and decided that would be a good place to start.

All was well, now the only thing she had to worry about was opening her presents.

She was fine with that.

A/N: A little Christmas Thomgelica, hopefully, there will be more to come. Also, I wanted to add that their daughter's name will always be Coretta, even if they aren't in the “Happy Birthday” universe. If you don't know what the Happy Birthday universe is, it's a story I wrote a few days ago. So that's all I wanted to say...BYE!