Meet the Parents

Meeting the parents was like a universal fear for every spouse because your parent's approval meant more than some people were willing to admit.

Thomas had met his fair share of parents to know that they were relentless with the questioning and had absolutely no concerns about digging too far into the other people's business.

They were scary.

This time was different though, it was a different type of fear. The woman whose parents Thomas was about to meet was definitely the one. Which might be a little fast considering they had been dating for six months, but when you know you know.

It certainly didn't help that Angelica's parents were cops.

So yes, he was currently trying to dry his sweaty palms on the jeans he was starting to regret wearing, because who wore jeans to a meet the parent's dinner? But Angelica had insisted and Thomas listened to Angelica because nine times out of ten she was right.

"Thomas you'll be okay, I promise my parents will love you." She said as they walked up the steps to Angelica's childhood home.

"That isn't gonna stop me from being nervous." He replied because even as a child he tended to fret over every little thing even if words of reassurance were thrown his way.

Angelica laughed, "I know." She linked their hands together and squeezed his clammy palm before pulling out a key and pushing it into the bronze door handle. She turned the key, there was a small click and then Angelica pushed the door open.

As soon as that pale pink door was open the aroma of chicken Alfredo ambushed Thomas. He turned his head to a grinning Angelica, "I told them it was your favorite."

Well then, maybe this dinner wouldn't be so terrible.

...

He was right, the Schuylers were amazing, nothing like he expected them to be. But he wasn't complaining.

They had finished dinner maybe an hour ago but they were all so caught up in telling stories and laughing that they had stayed seated at the table.

Right now they were listening to Philip Schuyler recall a story from his early days as a cop.

"So what was he doing with the gasoline then?" Angelica asked.

Philip chuckled, took a sip of his wine for dramatic effect as they all waited for him to finish the story. "Philip hurry up and finish the story." Catherine playfully chided.

"He was drinking it."

Thomas's eyes widened, beside him Angelica burst into laughter. "You're telling me that man stole six gallons of gasoline to drink it?"

Philip nodded his head, "yep."

"I honestly don't know what to say." Thomas laughed.

"Yeah well neither did he when he got caught," Catherine said as she stood up and started to collect the dishes from the dining table.

"Here let me help you." Thomas offered as he began to pick up his and Angelica's dishes.

"I like him." Catherine smiled, Thomas felt the blush rise to his face and he smiled back at her. He really didn't know what to do with praise but it was good to know Angelica's parents approved of him.

...

Three hours later Thomas and Angelica were back in their apartment watching tv.

"Tonight was fun," Thomas said as he pecked a kiss to Angelica's lips.

"Yeah it was and I'm pretty sure you're my parent's favorite boyfriend out of the three guys I've brought home." She grinned as caught his mouth in another kiss.

"That's good to know because I plan on being the last boyfriend you bring home." He said without thinking, he opened his mouth to take it back because even if he meant it he didn't want to move too fast with Angelica. But before he could take it back Angelica cut him off.

"I like the sound of that." She smiled and that was music to Thomas's ears because he was a hundred percent sure Angelica was the love of his life.