Death Almost Becomes Her

A/N: Another Spy AU, because zeedabusybee new story "It feels like a memory" inspired me to bring my favorite spy's back with a healthy dose of angst

Well... This certainly wasn't how she'd planned to go, though there never really was a plan. But this, this was not how it was supposed to go.

The night had gotten away from her though, Angelica wasn't exactly sure when and where it all went wrong, but she could probably list a few moments.

Number one probably being when she accepted the case, the risk of death was always present in her line of work, but still. She had a bad feeling about this case from the moment the three-inch-thick manilla folder had been slid her way.

Angelica didn't run from anything though, so ignoring her gut(which was a spy no-no, by the way) she accepted the mission.

So yes, this moment had probably been the start of every disastrous thing possible, but she could have passed the case onto another agent or upped her protection when her home had been broken into. It wasn't like Thomas hadn't begged her to do any one of those things, but she couldn't let whoever it was spook her.

So once again she ignored it. Ignored the feeling that seemed to be permanently settling in her gut, the one that told her something was off about this mission, and that she couldn't handle it like any other case.

That's also most likely where she went wrong as well. She'd gotten a text from her Boss, George Washington, she trusted him, that's maybe why she met up with him at an abandoned warehouse. No questions asked.

Another mistake. God, she seemed to be making a lot of those.

But this one would be the end of her. She was alone, a piece of glass wedged into her stomach, and no way of contacting anybody, no way of getting help. Angelica was a goner, she could feel her vision fading, sleep was calling her and this time she wouldn't be waking up.

Her head was clouded, a weird sort of haze taking over her brain, and she couldn't fight it. A part of her didn't want to fight it. Angelica was oddly okay with this, with death.

Perhaps it was the lack of pain and that was probably a bad thing, but her brain wasn't functioning correctly at the moment.

Or maybe it was the fact that Angelica had signed up for this, she knew what working in this business entailed, the risks, the rewards, and she still signed up for it. This was simply part of her job, so maybe she had always been okay with dying.

Or it was the lack of pain.

Probably the lack of pain.

...

Thomas's head was spinning, he felt his chest constrict. He sucked in a deep breath, then another, and another, until he was hyperventilating. Still though, through the spinning of his head and his heavy breathing, he ran to Angelica.

He dropped down to his knees, his hands came up to cup her face. She was cold, and pale, and barely breathing.

Thomas's eyes traveled down her body, landing on the thick piece of glass piercing her abdomen. His stomach lurched, his eyes watered, and he couldn't breathe.

He wanted to pull the glass out, but he couldn't do that, that would make everything worse. So he bit his lip, hard, blood mixing with saliva, and he began to think.

Thomas was a spy, he dealt with world-ending crises often, he should be able to handle this. He had dealt with worse, but seeing her like this, blood pooling around her, cracked lips, and ragged breaths rendered him helpless.