Happy Birthday To You

A/N: A gift from me to me because today on the eighth of April I turned fourteen so yeah. Enjoy!

Birthdays...

They weren't really Angelica's thing, more specifically her own. The idea of celebrating the day you were brought into this godforsaken world was a nice one, only there had never been someone willing to celebrate her birthday.

Her parents of course would be the obvious choice since they had brought her into the world, however, they weren't those types of parents. A mean drunk and a woman scared of the man she claimed to love hardly ever were.

Angelica had her dear sisters Eliza and Peggy but by the time Eliza had been brought home, birthdays were nothing more than a faraway thought in Angelica's mind, and when the Schuylers had walked through the front door with Peggy a year later, birthdays were something Angelica never thought about.

And twenty years later Angelica still believed that birthdays were nothing but your average day. Even if Thomas Jefferson was trying so hard to persuade her to do something on her quote on quote "special day". Angelica had shot down every one of Thomas's idea's and Angelica had to admit some of them were very appealing but celebrating her birthday was not.

"Come on, Angelica!" Thomas pleaded, he looked like he was seconds away from dropping on his knees and begging. Unfortunately for him and his dignity(Angelica really wasn't sure there was much of that left after last month's debacle but that was a story for another time), Angelica did not care.

She arched one unimpressed eyebrow and crossed her arms. "No."

Thomas's shoulders slumped, a scowl replacing his previously pitiful expression. "No?"

Angelica slowly nodded her head, she turned around and made her way to her bed, she felt Thomas's glaring eyes on her as she sat on the edge of the bed. She crossed her legs and redirected her attention to Thomas.

"Is that the end of this conversation?" He asked.

"If you want it to be." She coolly replied.

Thomas furrowed his eyebrows as he studied her face. "Well, then it's not the end."

Angelica offered no reaction on the outside but on the inside, she was screaming bloody murder. She had never met someone as persistent and stubborn as Thomas, all though, her sisters would tell you Angelica and Thomas were one and the same. Angelica heavily disagreed with that.

Angelica understood that birthdays were important for some people but that was not the case for her and she wished Thomas would understand that. She wished that he would understand that her parents hadn't made a big deal about anything in her life least of all the day she was born, not when they regretted having her.

To them, that day was probably one of the worst in their life and so her birthday meant nothing but pain and disappointment to her.

"Thomas, why are you not getting that I don't celebrate my birthday?" Angelica asked, letting a tiny bit of her exasperation seep into her voice.

"Because you haven't told me why!" Thomas said, throwing his hands up in frustration.

She narrowed her eyes at him. "I wasn't aware that was a requirement."

Thomas sighed, he looked down to the floor clearly in deep thought. Angelica analyzed the expression on his face, wondering what exactly he was thinking about that had him biting his lip the way he was, she was surprised there was no blood trickling down his mouth by now.

Angelica rolled her eyes when he stayed silent, she began to pick at the chipped polish on her nails, she really needed to get them done. Maybe she could con Thomas into taking her to the nail salon. Actually, that was probably a bad idea. He was too sweet and she would feel too guilty about it afterward. Besides, it wasn't Thomas's fault he was about as naive as a puppy.

"Okay, fine." Angelica looked at him, utterly confused.

"What?"

"You don't have to celebrate your birthday." Thomas elaborated.

Angelica wanted to laugh, she almost did, instead, she bit the inside of her cheek as Thomas made his way over to her and sat down on the bed. "Thank you...I guess."

"I'm sorry." He muttered and Angelica tilted her head to the side in wonder.

"Sorry about what?" She questioned, her tone softening a considerable amount, she figured if the wounded puppy dog look on his face was anything to go by he needed it.

"For pushing you."

Angelica laughed a small tiny bit, but she couldn't help it, he was just so adorably sweet and Angelica had only known him for a year, and she was still trying to get used to him. "What exactly is funny?"

"Nothing, I swear. It's just you are so sweet, it almost kills me." She said. "You didn't do anything wrong, you were maybe being a little annoying but it's all from a caring place." Angelica placed her hand over his and gave it a tiny squeeze. She couldn't help but notice how natural their hands together felt.

"So you're not mad?" He questioned, almost a little too innocently.

Angelica laughed. "No, but just know the only thing we are doing tomorrow is watching a bunch of classic movies."

Thomas smiled at her and Angelica's breath caught in her throat. Okay, what was going on? Why was she reacting this way towards him and so suddenly?

Angelica had never seen Thomas as anything but a friend, a cute friend perhaps, but a friend nonetheless, and suddenly that was shifting. She didn't know how she felt about that but right now she was going to ignore the fluttering feeling in her stomach that occurred when he smiled.

And instead, she was going to focus on deciding what snacks they should supply for tomorrow's movie day.

A/N: Well hope you enjoyed and you know what I just might do a part two where I explain "last month's debacle". What do you think?