Home

A/N: This gave me very much Hallmark vibes. Also, Peggy's husband is named Stephen and I'm 99% sure that's pronounced as Steven so their kid's nickname is Stevie. And we're gonna pretend like they're not cousins in real life.

She was home, after twelve years, a kid, and the death of her husband, she was home. But it wasn't really home, not anymore, not after she had lost her dad to a gunshot wound in this very town.

She had vowed never to come back to this place two months after her father's death because the place didn't mean the same thing it had when her dad was alive. But her grandmother had fallen ill and Angelica decided she could break her promise to herself because it was her grandmother, the woman who used to bake cookies with Angelica. Also, maybe a small part of her wanted to come back, wanted to see how the small town was doing.

So after a phone call from her sisters she hadn't seen in far too long, she packed her and her son's bags and caught a plane back to Haven's Town. And now Angelica and her son were stepping off the plane after five way too short hours.

It wasn't as if she wasn't excited to see her family again after twelve years because she was. Her family hadn't even met Malachi before and she was thrilled to have her family finally meet the three-year-old. So no, lack of excitement was not the cause of the anxiety ebbing away at her. In all honesty, she couldn't exactly pinpoint what was the cause because it was more than the bad memories of losing her dad.

It was all so overwhelming, she hadn't ever traveled alone with Malachi, always having John by her side, but then he had passed two years ago, and then she had been all alone. She assumed her husband's death was also a key factor that played into her frazzled nerves. John's death had rocked her and her son's world and for a while she had felt like she was on autopilot, just floating through the days, taking care of her responsibilities.

But then one night, after a well-needed and honestly expected breakdown, she realized she couldn't keep going on like that. She had Malachi to think about and she couldn't raise him like that; it wasn't fair. So she had gotten herself together and then the ground Angelica and her son stood on was dependable once again.

Raising Malachi was no easy feat, he was as rambunctious as they came, but he was smart, much more advanced than any three-year-old Angelica had ever met. And maybe she was just imagining it, but she had noticed that he was suddenly asking more questions about his dad, and that was to be expected because Malachi was a curious kid and he had been so young when his father had died.

But Angelica had no idea how to answer some of his questions, how exactly did one explain to a child his age that his father had been killed by a drunk driver?

Maybe she was overthinking it, maybe there was a simple solution to her problem. But her brain was always in a frenzy, and sometimes the simplest answers slipped her.

She would just have to shove it all down now, there were more important things than the unsettling feeling in her stomach. One being the hyper three year old clinging to her left hand.

"Malachi, calm down." Angelica gently chided as she lugged the four bags behind her.

"I can't, I'm just so excited!" Malachi exclaimed and Angelica couldn't hold back her smile, she was elated to have her family finally meet her pride and joy.

She came to halt, effectively putting an end to his skipping. "I'm excited too, but you know we would go much faster if I could trust you to let go of my hand, that way I could use both of my hands to carry these suitcases." Malachi let go of her hand, stood up straight, and wiped the smile off his face. This was a very serious task.