Creatures of the Night

A/N: A little Vampire AU, cuz why not????

“Are you afraid of me, Angelica?” The question is timid, missing the boy’s cocky edge and Angelica turns to him, the nail polish in her hand dripping onto her pant leg. She curses to herself and quickly screws the nail polish cap on.

“What? Why would I be afraid of you?” She doesn’t even understand why he’s asking this question, Thomas is the least intimidating person she knows.

A flush creeps up his neck, he dips his head, suddenly abashed, and again she wonders what happened to him. Just two hours ago he was bragging about being the strongest man on the planet(he isn't, that's beside the point though)and now he can barely stand to look her in the eyes.

“‘Cause, cause everyone else is.” He says, still refusing to meet Angelica's eyes.

She sighs, Angelica knows what he’s talking about. The looks people give both of them when they are in public don’t escape her, nor do the whispers, or the way people avoid them like the plague.

She hears and sees all of it.

But unlike him she doesn’t care, whispers and looks have followed her all her life, they’re basically her shadow. They trail after her and she keeps it pushing, they are her shadow, in the dark where they belong.

Except Thomas is new to this, that night when he had been bitten was simply a freak accident, and now he’s been thrust into this new world, unsure of how to handle himself, and totally at the cruel world’s mercy.

“I’m not scared of you, Thomas.” She says and then she rolls her eyes, because had he forgotten that the world perceives her as a monster as well? “We are the same thing, you know. I’ve actually been a vampire longer.”

His eyes widen and his head dips once again, and she smiles. “Right,” and then his eyes find her and they look so much like a puppy that’s been stricken it surprises her. The urge to protect him from anything and everything finds its way to her and she thinks she could move mountains if it meant protecting him.

“Everyone else is scared of me, I’m this horrible monster to them and maybe, maybe they’re right.”

Her jaw clenches because they are in no way right, Thomas is the sweetest, most kind-hearted person she knows, and he would never intentionally harm anyone.

But Angelica gets it.

The blood lust, it’s powerful, sometimes so powerful you can’t fight it. And she knows the feeling, trying so hard to tell your body to stop, but a haze takes over your mind, and the only thing you can smell is the blood. And you can hear it pulsing through their bodies, and then your teeth turn into fangs, and then they're sunken into someone’s flesh.

And the blood, the warm blood filling your mouth in that moment almost makes it worth it. But when your needs are satisfied and you pull away, that look of absolute horror written on their faces, and the guilt that washes over you makes you want to hide away in shame.

And she remembers when that was her, when the need for blood was more powerful than her, and so she understands. But Angelica isn’t a monster and neither is Thomas.

“They’re not afraid of you, they’re afraid of what you’re capable of, because we are powerful, stronger than them, and in seconds we could have their lives in our hands. But they don’t know us, they don’t know that we would never harm them.” Purposely, is what she wants to add, she doesn’t though, he doesn’t need that.

Thomas looks only slightly convinced, like he has something more to say, a rebuttal to her miny speech. “What is it?” She asks him, tone flat, because this conversation has gotten too emotional and she needs to leverage herself back into familiar waters.

“But I did hurt someone, I almost killed her. I would have if you hadn’t stopped me.” The last part is a whisper, like it's something he doesn’t want to admit, and maybe he doesn’t.

“You didn’t though and since then you haven’t slipped up.” She’s quick to remind him of that fact, hoping his progress will make him feel better.

And it does, slightly, but his smile has returned and they're on their way back to the waters that they know.

“Thank you.” He smiles.

“Oh, don’t thank me, it’s killing me to give your ego a stroke.” She says and he rolls his eyes, and they’re back in their waters, where they can swim comfortably, and the way her heart speeds up around him is long forgotten.

At least Angelica hopes it is.