Chapter 20: Dance with a Monster

A slightly slower start to a chapter, but I promise it gets fun quick!

Enjoy!

~~~~

The rest of my day was passed with smiles and laughter. I tried not to think about Jackson too much. However, my arm was getting itchier and itchier by the hour. I wandered the colorful stalls, trying food from all the seven kingdoms on this side of the ocean, enjoying miniature shows, and participating in the splendor of it all.

I was sitting on the ledge of the fountain in the middle of the square when the first note of a violin strikes.

The evening sky had just taken, painting the sky with glorious pinks, purples, and dark blues. A few people start lighting candles around the area, dazzling the colorful space with sparkling light.

A few more instruments join the violinist and a slow song begins. An older couple stands in the cobblestone square, embracing each other and starting to dance. They joyfully twirl around the large space. Another couple joins them, and a few more people do as well. We politely clap as the song ends.

Then, an upbeat song begins. Oh! I've heard of this one. It was one of the commoner's songs I was taught at a ball once.

The older couple grin at each other and then look at all the younger people still sitting. They separate and go towards the gazing crowd, dragging people into the circle of dancers, pairing people with others. I laugh as I see Logan and Jules suddenly thrown in.

The older woman with a kind smile was suddenly in front of me. "Oh! No! No no no..." I laugh but without must resistance, she throws me onto the floor full of people straight into the warm arms of a partner.

"Logan!" I laugh. Logan smiles that cheeky grin at me, "Evening mi'lady."

The musicians pause, gathering the group's attention. An excited energy buzzed through the crowd. The lead musician begins with a rhythmic clap. Then another one picks up, then some from the crowd, and more, and then it waves across the members of the crowd.

The musician whoops out and restarts the song with more passion. The crowd cheers and quickly take positions.

Logan raises an eyebrow at me, "Do you know this song?"

"A bit." I truthfully respond, somewhat embarrassed.

He dramatical bows, "May I have this dance then, mi'lady?"

I laugh, "You may," placing my hand into his and yelping as he smoothly pulls me into him, instantly assuming the position. With my hands in his, we move into the line.

This dance was a fun one. For everyone would be switching partners and the movement was upbeat and lively. We start right on the beat the buoyant music matching our bubbly moves as we twirled and spun, weaving in and out of arms, jumping around, cap one two, touch your heels, do a spin, and switch partners!

A kind old man raises his friendly bushy eyebrows in greeting at me as we switched. I chuckle back, the energy of the crowd filling my own, excitement and fun in everyone's eyes as we laughed and smiled and stumbled through the steps. Jump jump, cap one two, touch your heels, do a spin, and switch!

I cry out in joy as I trip over someone, but land in my next partners arms. The girl and I laugh and go into the dance again. We went round and round, switching partners, laughing with everyone for the song.

But then the next song played, and the next and the next, and before I knew it, it was nighttime. The crowd had grown huge. People were coming on and off and floor, asking for each other's hands as the song required it or participated in a line dance, dancing with everyone, depending on the song.