Chapter 13: Surprises

The twittering of birds was my wake up call. My eyes snap open to find myself wrapped around a very warm, and very large heat pad. In my vision was a very broad back. I blink a few times before recognizing that the familiar scent of a lemony pine was from him. I instantly tense, my face heating as I realize the position I was in.

My leg was wrapped over his body, the other tucked neatly against his large leg. My arms were gathered in, nuzzled between my body and his.

I blink to clear the fog. Shit. How did we even get here?!

I felt Tici grinning, but she says nothing. And you stay silent! I internally pout at her, embarrassed at the position I was trapped in. He was a Dark Tracker for sakes! I move, he's awake... and I'm dead.

But he was oh-so-warm. I shiver lightly as a cool morning forest breeze runs down my spine.

I hear a low growl-murmur and feel as his large body slips out from under my leg and flips. My view was suddenly a sculpted chest. One of my legs was pinned between his while his arms wrapped around me to shield me from the cold. Oh dear... what if mom and dad saw me now?

He is still asleep though!! I slowly peek up to check his eyes. His soft black locks were falling over his face. It looked... peaceful. I wish he didn't look so angry... I think to myself.

"I think you are wrong about the sleeping part." Tici comments. Jackson sighs, his breath ruffling the top of my hair. "Your other side is right." He grumbles lowly, his morning voice husky and deep. I tense. Shit.

His eyes snap open. I freeze at the deep glazed red and blue of his eyes. "How did you know she was talking?"

She is really new at this isn't she? I hear Toc's voice nearby. Jackson's eyes don't waiver from mine as he answers, "The Other Side beings reside in the same plane. When close enough, they can communicate."

"How do you know?" My voice a whisper. His eyes flicker, darkening, "I've experienced it once before."

The distance voice of Gabe calls out to us. "Uhhh Jackson? You may want to come take a look at this"

Within a blink, Jackson untangles our limbs, leaps up and even has me on my feet. I blink a few times to reorientate myself.

I groan, clutching my head as everything spins and place my hand against his chest for support, "Really dude? Did you have to yank me up?"

Silence. I blink a few more times, rubbing out my sore eyes only to have them widen in sheer shock.

Standing at the front of camp, with a dagger at his throat and a sword on his spine, stood Jules, my crush. My stable eye tingles and instantly the bluish haze from when the four thugs tried to assassinate me takes my world, freezing time. Jackson takes a step forward, placing himself between me and Jules, successfully distracting me. The haze disappears. A low growl rumbles from him.

Jules's eyes dart to me and Jackson. He smiles softly and awkwardly, revealing that dimple I found so cute, "Hi Aurora."

The silence was pregnant.

"What are you doing here?" I hiss, shoving past Jackson, to his surprise.

Jackson grabs my arm but I yank it out of his grasp coming mere feet from Jules. My blazing fury pinned on Jules's nervous face.

He bows his head, sadness filling features, "I-I..."

"Spit it out!" Jackson roars, causing a few birds to fly from a nearby tree. I send a fierce scowl at Jackson at his unnecessary volume. He doesn't react. I turn my anger back to Jules. He was there and part of the team that tried to kill me!