Chapter 39: No Time to Think

Tis almost the end... Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~

Smoke. All I could smell was smoke. And the putrid smell of burning flesh.

A scream in the distance.

I cough, groaning and wincing against my fatigued muscles.

Geezus I'm passing out too much...

My eyes flicker open to find myself alone in a world of gray. Ashes were floating. The buildings that were there were charred black, hot embers still burning within the structures. Fires flickering where they could still feast. I grunt, heaving myself to my fours. I peer up, the house with the 10 sick members was burned to the ground. I gulp and shake my head. No time to think about that now.

And the Sun Prince was gone.

No time to think about that now.

"Get up!" Tici's voice snarls in my head. I grit my teeth and lurch to my feet. I was so tired. No time to think about that now.

"Go!" She growls. "You've wasted enough time!"

I exhale, raising myself up.

The bricks were warm under my bare feet. I inhale. Power surges through my fingertips. Tingles rush through me from the top of my head to the tips of my toes. The scales return. I exhale.

The wind shoots off my scales as I rush through the familiar run-down cobblestone streets. I cough as the smoke scorches my lungs. This part was burned to the ground and abandoned. I cough again. Shit, I'm almost out of energy.

No time to think about that now. The King was still on the loose.

I narrow my eyes and push myself harder, flying through streets in minutes, following the scent of blood and the surging pulses of power vibrating through the streets.

"AH!" I cry out as I am rammed into a nearby building by an invisible force. I burst through the charred wood, gritting my teeth against the pain.

My eyes flicker to the enemy only to widen from horror. Like a beacon, a shining neon blue beam of power was shooting into the sky. The clouds were being sucked in, lightning shooting towards it, the wind was picking up. And I just knew that the king was behind it.

If when he lit up that beam, the power knocked me off my feet... wait, how the hell does he even have that power??

I squeeze the wood around me in my fear and anger. It cracks under my finger and I hiss as a splinter digs under my scales, reigning me to reality: There was no time to think about that now.

I step out of the house and gasp as I feel something tug at my chest. It was almost familiar. What the?

Tici's scream echoes in my head. TICI!

The tug vanishes. She gasps, her voice quivering my head, "That thing... it... it just... it just stole your ability of fire..."

"What?" I open my hands, willing the energy and tingles to my hand, feeling my eye change color to its brilliant red, but to have nothing happen.

Blood drains from my face. The King figured out a way to steal everyone's power, all at once.

No! I was out of time.

I grit my teeth and roar out as I force myself to grow to my giantess state. I have to get there before he drains all my power!!

Then I run. Every step I take smashed buildings (I hope they were abandoned). I need to get to him! I needed to stop him!