Chapter 17: A New Day

This chapter is somewhat short (and slower in my opinion). In return, next week's chapter will be longer!

Enjoy!

~~~~~~

The water was warm as it ran down my back. I sigh, the grub and grime of the last couple days slowly washing away with my tears.

I finally turn off the water, the faucet squeaking as I do so. It's probably been more than 10 minutes.

I wrap myself in the towel and gently open my door to peek into my room. A body was on my bed. Arms and legs crossed, and definitely taking up most of the space.

I exhale, fatigued but slowly feeling the alcohol wear off. I close the door, returning to the bathroom. I cover my eyes. Breathe Rora, breathe...

I'm not ready to face the new day... No, that's wrong. I'm not ready to face my dreams. I wince as a flash memory of the spurting blood enters my head. I snap open my eyes, looking into the blue and green eyes of the girl in the mirror.

My eye tingles and suddenly, my green eye was now yellow. I inhale heavily, letting my head drop. The sound of water dripping from my hair into the sink almost hypnotic.

I'm sure Jackson has a long day tomorrow. We need to go to the docks to do what Elina said... I look back at myself. The girl's eyes were now hardened.

I again open the door and blow out the candle in the bathroom. Creeping through the darkness, the light of the moon illuminating the room from the window on the opposite side of the main door, I make it to where I left my pile of clothes.

I feel for the clothing only to realize in shock that my clothing has been replaced with something else, but something clean. I peek over to the sleeping figure on my bed and a warmth enters my chest.

Jackson don't waken now!

I allow the towel to fall. A chill blows through me and I grit my teeth to keep from shivering. The figure on the bed does not stir. Hoping he won't wake up, I slip into the thin baggy shirt and comfortable pants quickly. Better than nothing.

I tip toe rapidly towards the bed, the chill now painful. My vision adjusts to see that the blanket was somehow all under him. I feel tears begin to form in my eyes as I no longer could control my emotion.

As if on cue, this 'sleeping' figure pulls the blanket out from under him, opening it up. Instantly, I break. My teeth chatter in a speed that could crack them. I jump in, accidentally landing on him.

He grunts but moves quickly to turn to his side, wrapping me in the blanket and then his arms. I take a deep breath of his musk, his heat and the heat he purposefully added to the blanket when I was bathing overwhelming me.

The tears escape, but they were silent.

He exhales as my shivering slowly subsides. We remain silent. My body warmed. My eyes closed. And finally, I was out.

~~

The singing of a bird was the background as I stretched my slumber away. It wasn't as comfortable as my castle bed, but it was much nicer than the forest floor! I open my eyes to find myself alone in the bed, completely wrapped in the blankets. I furrow my eyebrows.

Where's Jackson?

A cough startles me up. I look to the floor to see Jackson asleep on the floor. A flush of embarrassment races into my cheek as I vaguely remembered kicking something in my sleep.

I plop back down, hoping to forget my mortification by maybe falling back asleep and not having to deal with him while he's on the floor.

"Squeak!" Shit! His breathing changes. Damn, he's awake! Curse my nemesis, the Squeaky Mattress!!