Chapter 50: Flowers

Wavering Destiny
by Strawberry Moon Rose

I honestly don't know how I've written this story so far. Just writing "flirt" or "held hands" or "kissed" makes me blush like Ami! It's so embarrassing. I hope no one I know ever comes across my stories. Ever.

It is the last chapter, in a way, because the next one will be the epilogue!

Enjoy :)

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
_________________________________
Chapter 50: Flowers
_________________________________

An enchanting floral scent floated in the air. Flowers of all shapes and colors sprouted from the ground, waving in the gentle, sweet-tasting breeze. The only sound was the lapping of ocean waves in the distance and the harmonic buzzing of cicadas. Usagi twirled around like a child in the palace's outdoor garden.

"It smells so good out here!" she exclaimed. The sunset warmed her back and made her golden hair shimmer.

Seiya fingered the petals of a baby romantica rose.

"Doesn't it?" She brought the mango-colored flower to her face and breathed in its delectable fragrance.

"So why'd you decide to bring me out here, Seiya?" Usagi chirped.

Seiya's face began to glow. She stood up and brushed her hands off on the seat of her shorts. "I just wanted to be here with you again, one last time," she said.

Everyone else was in the palace preparing for the journey home. The transportation passageway was complete; a tall wooden door with a star and crescent-shaped moon carved in the center. Everyone except Kakyuu was scheduled to depart at nightfall.

The Starlights didn't plan on taking much, just a few personal belongings. Seiya was taking her very first football, Yaten her favorite makeup kit, and Taiki her poetry journals. Everything else they would need was on Earth. Seiya wasn't very good at goodbyes, and decided not to call her brother and sister all the way to the palace. She knew she would see them again soon.

Yaten on the other hand, felt like she needed to say bye to Saeko, her bratty little sister. Of course, when the nine-year-old arrived, all she did was tease Yaten about eloping with Minako to some city far, far away. While Minako was flattered, it led to a whole lot of shouting and blushing on Yaten's part.

A yellow butterfly danced by. Usagi smiled and tried to catch it, but it flew off into the trees.

"Well, thanks for bringing me out here one last time, Seiya. It's really lovely."

"You're welcome." One glance in her direction, and Seiya's stomach was fluttering. Usagi looked so beautiful standing among the greenery, it put the flowers to shame. She was wearing a strapless, colorful sundress she'd bought at the boutique and it flowed appealingly over her curves she'd developed in the past year, stopping mid-thigh.

A pleasant gust of air drifted past, disheveling the blonde's pigtails and swishing Seiya's ponytail over her shoulder. It felt like spring in more ways than one, everything blooming beautifully after a frozen winter.

Usagi turned slowly to face the Starlight. Time seemed to slow at that moment, the two girls gazing at each other with shy, knowing smiles.

Seiya pinkened, cutting her gaze away. She took a few steps in the other direction, over to the patch of rozamokus. She knelt to the ground, eyes scanning for the most beautiful one. She plucked it gingerly from the earth, and carried it back to her lover.