Chapter 12: Starless Night

Wavering Destiny
by Strawberry Moon Rose

Enjoy :)

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
____________________________________
Chapter 12: Starless Night
____________________________________

Everyone dispersed to their own activities after lunch. Yaten headed off to nap. Makoto told Usagi to come to her room and hang out, and Seiya needed to work on party preparations. Minako and Rei returned to their room. That left Taiki and Ami standing alone in the center of the dining hall as workers scurried around them, retrieving the plates and bowls from lunch.

"I finished that book you suggested." Ami pushed her bangs out of her eyes coyly.

"Is that so? I'm glad that you found it to your interest. I have other recommendations to show you if you'd like," she offered. Her purple eyes sparkled.

"That would be great!"

"Shall we return to the library?"

"How about we have another game of chess while we're down there?"

"Oh? Is that a challenge?"

"I suppose you could put it like that." Ami chuckled.

"I won't hold back this time."

"What do you mean by that?" Ami playfully narrowed her eyes.

"I will give it everything I have got," Taiki replied in a low voice. Ami looked at the swirls in the marble floor shyly as they walked. When they reached the palace's library, Taiki held open the door for her.

"After you."

"Thank you." Ami stepped into the quiet oasis. She inhaled the sweet, musty scent of books. It was like home to her. She felt even more at peace when she was with a certain Starlight.
____________________________________

"So Mako, what do you wanna do?" Usagi plopped down on the edge of Ami's bed that afternoon.

"Whatever is fine. I just didn't want to be alone since Ami went with Taiki again. I always feel like a third wheel."

"I know, we could go look at the garden again! But it's still raining isn't it? Shoot. How about we just walk around the palace and try not to get lost?" She laughed.

Makoto played with the ends of her cinnamon curls. "Actually Usagi, I wanted to ask you about something first..."

"Okay." Usagi pulled her feet up and sat cross-legged on the bedspread.

"How long are we going to stay on Kinmoku?"

Usagi blinked and scratched her head. "Oh...well, I'm not exactly sure."

"I was just wondering," Makoto replied. "Of course we'll be here for the party, but I meant after that... The others will start to worry if we don't return soon."

"That's true. I wouldn't want to worry anyone." Usagi knew they would have to leave eventually, but hated thinking about returning so soon. Life back home was an uneventful routine. She had never noticed how much excitement being a Sailor Guardian provided until their lives returned to normal after the final battle.

Plus leaving would mean it would be a long time before they would see the Starlights again. She couldn't bear the thought of missing Seiya.

"Usagi...I don't know how to put this, but is there something you want to talk about?" Makoto asked. She could sense Usagi's uneasiness.