Chapter 37: Before the Storm

Wavering Destiny
by Strawberry Moon Rose

"Spending My Time" by Roxette. It's the song I hear Seiya singing with her guitar in this chapter. I've been waiting since chapter one to give it the credit it desperately deserves and finally I can. Without it, this story wouldn't exist, that's how much of an inspiration it is. It describes Seiya's feelings perfectly.

(Roxette is also the original artist of the popular ballad, "Listen to Your Heart". So if you like that song, you will love this one.)

I wish all of you would give it a listen before reading this chapter.

Then, enjoy :)

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
__________________________________
Chapter 37: Before the Storm
__________________________________

"Seiya, where are you going?" Healer picked up her pace down the palace halls. She hated running, but she had to to keep up with Seiya. In mid step, she let her transformation go and returned to her civilian self.

Seiya stopped and turned around. "To my room, why?"

"You're not gonna write another song, are you? How many have you written this week anyways?"

"So? I'll write as many as I want to. How else am I supposed to cope? You should try it, Yaten."

Yaten scowled. "Fine. Whatever. Do what you want. I was gonna ask if you wanted to come to town with me and Taiki, but I can see you've got other things to do." She turned around and stomped away. Glancing over her shoulder she added, "And it doesn't matter how many songs you write, it'll never change anything."

Seiya used every once of strength in her body to keep from turning around and doing something she would regret. She raised one foot in front of the other and continued to her room. She shut the door behind her harder than necessary and tore across the carpet.

Yaten's truthful words stung. it didn't matter how she dealt with the pain, it'd never bring Usagi back to her. She hated when Yaten was right.

Ever since the sailor guardians had left, things had been different for all of them. At first, Seiya couldn't even get out of bed. But she'd forced herself to so she wouldn't worry the Princess. She went through her duties absentmindedly and spent all of her free time sulking around writing sappy love songs. When the others were asleep, she'd sneak into Usagi's guest room and just lean against the balcony, reminiscing all the times they'd shared together and pondering on how things had turned bleak so quickly.

Usagi's rozamoku was still laying on her dresser. Seiya didn't dare to touch it. It was already fragile and crumbly, the petals all withered. It was a symbol of their love and ironic it was dead.

Taiki seemed a bit quieter than usual and spent an awful lot of time in the library writing long journals of poetry. As for Yaten, it was like she'd woken up on the wrong side of the bed every morning. Seiya felt like walking on eggshells around her and tended to avoid the moody Starlight. She knew underneath all the resentment, Yaten was devastated about losing Minako and didn't want to talk about it.

Seiya grabbed her guitar and headed outside. She had a few hours until nightfall and wanted to be alone in their special place.

Trudging down the slope of rocks, Seiya headed to the ocean. The apricot sunset blinded her, but the darkness was settling too soon in the northeast. The crashing sound of water on water and water on sand filled her ears as she got nearer. She gazed out at the churning waters. A storm was imminent, she could feel the static hanging in the air. A gust of wind tousled her ponytail around her.