Chapter 34: A Little Pain

Wavering Destiny
by Strawberry Moon Rose

Enjoy :)

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
_________________________________
Chapter 34: A Little Pain
_________________________________

What happened next, Seiya could only remember bits and pieces of.

She was vaguely aware that someone had helped her to her feet and walked her back into the palace. At first she thought it'd been Yaten because the figure was shorter than her, but even in her hazy state she recalled the sweet, olive fragrance and saw tresses of flowing red hair.

With her head hung, all she could see was grass at her feet turning into stone, then glossy floor. The murmurs and noise faded out as they walked down the hallway. Kakyuu supported her until they reached the Starlight's bedroom.

"Fighter, you should lie down and get some rest," Kakyuu told her, easing her onto the bed. "We can discuss this in the morning if you would like."

Seiya pulled the covers to her chin. Having the Princess see her like this was the absolute worst. It was her duty to protect the Princess, not the other way around.

Seiya squeezed her eyes shut, hoping this was all just a nightmare. She opened them a second later, realizing Kakyuu was still there. The Princess had lowered herself onto the edge of the bed. When Seiya looked up, pretty orange eyes met her gaze.

"Fighter, I am very sorry. I do not know what happened, but I know how much you care for her."

"You warned me. I should've listened..."

"Fighter..."

"I'm sorry, Princess."

"Fighter... I should be getting back to the party. I'm sure some of the guests saw some things and I will have to assure them everything is alright. I know you would like to be alone now too. Good night, Fighter. Please sleep in, you have the day off tomorrow."

Kakyuu leaned across the bed and kissed Seiya on the forehead. She paused to take off the Starlight's heels before adjusting the blanket around her body. Her footsteps were audible padding across the carpet. A few seconds later, the light went out and the door shut behind her.

The second she was gone, Seiya broke down. Staining her pillow with smeared mascara, she let it out. Mouth wide open as she gasped, the salty water seeped in and tingled her tongue. She grabbed fistfuls of sheets as she sobbed. Shaking and convulsing, it passed the point of sorrow as they turned to hysteric cries. Stuffing a pillow over her face, she screamed into it until her muffled voice went hoarse and the cottony taste making her gag.

"Bun Head...!"

She'd been so close to having her, only to have everything ripped out of her hands at the last second. She never saw this coming. How was she supposed to know Usagi had a daughter? Why would she come here and lead her on like that? Seiya knew it wasn't on purpose, but she felt betrayed.

But if there was anyone she wanted to blame, it was herself. She felt so stupid and humiliated for grasping onto a hope that wasn't even there. It was all just a big joke. She should have known it was too good to be true.

And what if it was too late to save her child, Chibi-Usa? She couldn't live with herself if that happened.

Everything they'd been through on both Kinmoku and Earth flashed in her mind. Their date at the amusement park, introducing her to her siblings, teaching her how to dance, protecting her from Galaxia's blows, and even hiding in the cupboard with her and Chibi Chibi at her house. The worst part is that those moments were real and she was there. The second she remembered anything tied to Usagi, the pain started all over again.