Chapter 17: Moonlight Shadow

Wavering Destiny
by Strawberry Moon Rose

Enjoy :D

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
_________________________________
Chapter 17: Moonlight Shadow
_________________________________

"So...what did you want to ask me?" Minako lowered herself onto the sofa.

Yaten plopped down next to her. The duo was hanging out in the music room while the others decorated. The hum of the ceiling fan was the only sound.

"I already talked it over with Seiya and Taiki and they said it was okay. But I figured I should ask you if you'd even be interested..."

"Yeah?"

"Do you wanna sing at the party?"

Minako's eyes lit up. Had she heard her right? "Really?" She examined Yaten's face for any sign that she was joking, but found none.

Smiling, Yaten nodded. "We need somebody to open for us. I thought you might wanna do it."

"Yes! Of course! Oh my gosh, this is going to be great!"

"I thought you'd want to. I think everybody should hear your voice. You're amazing. I don't know any other girl that shines like you do."

Minako felt heat rise to her cheeks. "Thanks, Yaten..." She twirled a strand of hair around her index finger. Her heart pounded as she imagined performing at the party. The flash of lights, the sea of people, the roaring of applause...

She snapped her head up. "But...what am I going to sing?"

"Whatever you want, it doesn't matter."

Minako nodded, already brainstorming.

Yaten shrugged nonchalantly. "Or we could write something together if you wanted to. I know it's really short notice, but I'm sure we could pull it off in time if we worked together on it."

"Yes!" Minako scooted closer to her on the sofa. "We could totally do it!"

Minako couldn't think of anything better to do than spend the next few days writing a song with her. And to open for the Three Lights - talk about a dream come true!

"Here, c'mon." Yaten led her across the room to the instruments. She motioned to the row of sleek guitars. "Do you play?" she asked.

"Not really, I'm mostly vocals."

"Alright then..." Yaten guided her to the majestic grand piano in the corner of the music room. She pulled out bench for her.

"I've been working on this piece for a while," Yaten said, opening the cover of the piano, "but there's something missing from it. If we can fix it up and add lyrics, you can sing it for the opening song."

"Okay, let's hear it!"

Yaten turned to the piano before her. She stretched out her delicate hands and hovered them over the black and white keys. She took a deep breath and leaned in. What happened next was absolutely magical.

Minako was sure she was listening to a movie soundtrack. The notes surrounded her, pulling her into a world of harmony. The way Yaten's fingers danced back and forth flaunted her inner musician. It was a mystical, almost bittersweet tune, despite no lyrics.

Minako peered over and watched Yaten consumed in the moment. Eyes closed, silver bangs in her face, slender shoulders moving, pouring her soul and body into the piece.