Chapter 44: We Are One

Wavering Destiny
by Strawberry Moon Rose

Enjoy! :)

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
_________________________________
Chapter 44: We Are One
_________________________________

"Chibi Chibi...?" Sailor Moon said slowly. Her eyebrows shot up as she started from Chibi-Usa to Chibi Chibi. She stopped mid-step, confusion paralyzing her.

Chibi Chibi toddled forward, right to Sailor Moon and Fighter. Her large blue eyes swept over them, bright and excited. She squealed delightfully with recognition.

Sailor Moon eased to her knees. Chibi Chibi reached out and touched her wrist. Her skin was so warm. A tingly sensation rippled where their skin met, washing away the tension in her system.

Chibi Chibi... Why are you here again? How is this possible? She didn't hesitate to hold the child close, like a long lost friend.

Sailor Moon felt like she was transported back in time. She remembered Chibi Chibi curled up in her bed at night, falling asleep under the blankets together like it was just yesterday. She remembered Seiya holding her in her lap after softball practice, staring up at the stars. She recalled searching for her that first day she'd appeared, only to find that Chibi Chibi had wandered straight to Seiya, who'd been working as a one-day police officer. Had it been an entire year since then?

It wasn't until now, as Sailor Moon held her in her arms, that she realized just how much she'd missed her.

Chibi Chibi looked just like she remembered. Her vibrant, strawberry hair was still tied in two, heart-shaped Bun Heads, with little ringlets springing out. Her cheeks were adorably chubby, and she seemed as smiley and energetic as ever. She wore a baby-blue dress that could pass as a nightie.

As Sailor Moon hugged her close, the fragrance of pomegranates and roses wafted off her small body. She was surprised that Chibi Chibi didn't smell like sweet olives and baby powder like she remembered.

Sailor Moon's eyes popped open. Why did she smell just like Seiya? She hadn't even touched her yet.

"Um... What's...going on?" Fighter swallowed nervously. She flitted her eyes from Tuxedo Mask and Pluto to Sailor Moon and Chibi Chibi. Her gaze couldn't help but linger a bit longer on the transparent, pink-haired preteen at Pluto's side. It was Chibi-Usa, it had to be. She looked just like a mini version of Usagi.

Chibi-Usa stared back at the Starlight with an equally peculiar expression. She tilted her head to the side. Her ruby eyes took Fighter in from head to toe. It was the first time they'd ever seen each other before.

"Small Lady," Pluto said quietly, "this is Sailor Star Fighter." She went to place her hand on Chibi-Usa's shoulder, but drew back, realizing it would have gone right through her. A flicker of pain crossed her face, then vanished.

Everyone's eyes reverted to Fighter, awaiting her reaction. Sailor Moon shifted Chibi Chibi to her hip and stood up apprehensively.

Fighter looked embarrassed that the attention was turned to her. Everyone was waiting for her reaction.

She retied her ponytail and tugged on her torn shorts. After the brawl with Uranus, she was a mess. So much for first impressions. Fighter took a deep breath and strode towards Pluto and Chibi-Usa, ignoring everyone's stares. When she reached them, she bent to Chibi-Usa's level.

"Er... Hey there. It's great to finally meet you, Chibi-Bun Head."

Chibi-Usa narrowed her eyes suspiciously. The Starlight's deep blue eyes seemed kind enough, and the smile on her lips looked genuine. Could this nice woman really be the monster who'd torn her family apart and threatened her very existence? The woman her mother loved more than Mamoru? As much as she wanted to hate her for ruining her life, she couldn't bring herself to do so.