Chapter 35: Skating on Melting Ice

Wavering Destiny
by Strawberry Moon Rose

Such strong responses to the story! I like reading your guys' opinions :D

Enjoy :)

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
_________________________________
Chapter 35: Skating on Melting Ice
_________________________________

"Mamoru! Why the long face?" Motoki greeted his friend as he walked through the sliding glass doors of the CROWN arcade.

Mamoru trudged over to the counter. He leaned against it and let out a deep sigh.

Motoki shrugged off his white and red apron, revealing a collared shirt underneath. He hung it on the hook behind him.

"You're acting like you're the one who just went through a bad breakup," said Motoki.

"What do you mean by that? Don't tell me...did something happen between you and Reika?"

Motoki's hung his head. "Yes."

"But I thought you two were like soul mates?"

Motoki shrugged dejectedly.

"She's back from Africa now, isn't she? What happened?" Mamoru propped one elbow up on the counter.

"Yeah, she is. I guess we grew apart, you know? It was sort of a mutual agreement. We just didn't feel it anymore. It's just still really hard for both of us. We really loved each other, but we both know it's time to move on."

Mamoru patted his friend's shoulder. "I'm sorry."

"Thanks, Mamoru. I know life will go on, but it doesn't make it any easier."

"I understand you completely." Mamoru watched some middle school aged girls enter the arcade and giggle when they saw Motoki. One of them was brave enough to wave at the handsome arcade employee.

Motoki smiled and waved back. He turned to his friend. "So what about you, Mamoru? What's your story? Don't try to hide it from me, I could tell something was wrong when you walked in."

Mamoru sighed and ran his fingers through his black hair. Should he tell him? He knew he couldn't explain the whole story - especially not about Chibi-Usa and the future. But Motoki was his best friend and it felt wrong to keep secrets from him. He could tell him the gist of it though.

"Usako cheated on me."

"What? Usagi did?"

"Yeah. On that trip they all went on to Kin - er, Hokkaido. It turns out she's had feelings for her- him since I left for America last year."

Motoki looked away, hand to his chin. "I can't believe this. To think cute Usagi would do such a thing. That's horrible! Who's the guy? Do I know him?"

"Seiya Kou," Mamoru grumbled bitterly.

Motoki gasped. "The lead singer from the Three Lights?"

"Yeah."

"Oh wow! That's crazy. I'm so sorry, Mamoru. So did you...break it off with her?"

"No. She realized the mistake she made and has been sorting things out. Usako and her friends have been back for a whole week now, but she hasn't spoken to me since and it's starting to worry me. She's staying at Minako's house and doesn't answer the door for me. She won't answer my phone calls either."

"Do you think everything will be okay between you two? Does Usagi still have feelings for him?" Motoki asked hesitantly. He grabbed a cloth and spray bottle and began wiping off the counter between them.