Chapter 25: Deer in the Headlights

Wavering Destiny
by Strawberry Moon Rose

It's so interesting to hear your guys' thoughts! Of course I have my own opinions on this whole situation too. But if I revealed how I felt about everyone, that would give it away :P

Note: To dream of blowing dandelions means you are trying to bring back a certain time in your life. You long to have something/someone back.

Enjoy! :D

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
_________________________________
Chapter 25: Deer in the Headlights
_________________________________

Usagi wandered the halls of the palace in search of some way to pass time. The anticipated party was tomorrow, and the entire mood of the palace had shifted. What was once casual had become a stressful, rushed time for everyone. Everything underway was right on schedule, but last minute preparations caused workers to be scurrying down the halls with stuff in hand or jabbering orders into devices pressed to their ears. She barely even recognized the place. To her, it was always a breath-taking mansion, but with the lights strung down the halls, it looked more like an exquisite castle.

Everyone seemed to have found something to do. Everyone except Usagi.

The Starlights were still as busy as ever, she barely got to see Seiya. When she woke up in their bed that morning, Fighter was already off to perform duties outside the palace. Usagi spent most of the day meandering around, trying to stay out of everybody's way.

Her friends had no problem passing time. Ami was to be found in the library, devouring as many Kinmokian books as she could. Nobody could get Makoto away from the kitchen to save their life. The chefs seemed more than overjoyed at her offer to help prepare the dishes. Minako felt like she was having Yaten-withdrawls. She and Usagi usually hung out in their guest rooms. Having so much in common (including relationships) gave them something to talk about. Usagi hoped she didn't look as desperate as Minako, drowning on and on about her girlfriend, but she was starting to feel like it.

Usagi somehow wandered down to the ocean that afternoon. The sky was a pretty baby blue. The salty humidity stuck to her hair and clothes. She sat by the rocks, breathing in the sweet scent of the rozamokus. Watching the waves roll in and out was soothing. It was a special place for her and Seiya. She could still remember how she looked when she waded in and teased about taking her clothes off. She couldn't forget how bright the moons had been shining and how the salty water tasted.

She thought being away from the person she was crazy for would take her mind off her, but it was having the opposite effect. She couldn't get Seiya Kou out of her head. Every word, every smile, every touch replayed through her mind like a broken record. Usagi was head over heels, and she knew it too. It was embarrassing to admit, but she wanted nothing more than to wrap her arms around her the next time she saw her. She never thought the attraction was so strong, but with each day it was getting all the more clear who she wanted to spend all her time with.

Brushing the sand off her ruffly skirt, she climbed her way back up the slope to the palace. She was hoping to catch her lover in the music room for practice. Though she wasn't sure what time the three of them would finish duties, she planned on waiting for Seiya there.

Swerving in and out of maids and workers, she finally reached the music room doors. The palace may have been a labyrinth of confusing halls that all looked similar, but she was starting to find her way around like it was her home.

Usagi knocked, hoping the three of them were in there. Pressing her ear against the cool surface, she didn't hear music or voices. Dejected, she sighed and entered the empty room. The soft overhead lights were on, the ceiling fan swirled in boring circles. Usagi hadn't actually been in the music room before. She'd only caught glimpses of it through the tiny window at the top of the door while sitting on Minako's shoulders.