Chapter 43: The Light of Hope

Wavering Destiny
by Strawberry Moon Rose

I've been dropping hints for so long, I wonder if it's anyone will see this coming...

Enjoy! :)

Disclaimer: I do not own Sailor Moon or any of the characters. They belong to Naoko Takeuchi.
_________________________________
Chapter 43: The Light of Hope
_________________________________

"NOOOOO!" Sailor Moon screamed at the top of her lungs.

What happened next seemed to unfold in slow motion. Uranus drove her sword at Fighter's side. Fighter twisted, the blade whizzed by, missing her rib cage by a fraction of an inch. Uranus pulled back, preparing to strike again. Fighter sidestepped as the whoosh cut through empty air. The Starlight got out of the way once more, rolling to her feet.

"I thought you'd be belligerent to fight me," Uranus taunted.

"Why're you doing this?" Fighter cried.

"Because we have our destiny to protect, that's why." Uranus brought her talisman to her side. For a second, it looked like she was giving up. The entire entry room was eerily quiet.

Then suddenly, in a nothing but a blur, Uranus whipped her sword up and thrust it sideways to Fighter's neck.

"Fighter!" Sailor Moon screeched, thrashing around in Neptune's hold. Everyone else was too shocked to react.

Fighter froze. The blade felt like ice against the skin of her throat. She didn't dare move an inch.

Uranus's breathing was low and quiet. "Back down now," she whispered. "I don't want to hurt you."

"Then don't."

Before Uranus could respond, Fighter dropped to her feet and swung her leg around, knocking Uranus's ankles out from under her. The tall guardian crashed to the floor, letting out a low, mangled grunt. Her sword hit the marble with a clank and spun in circles, ricocheting across the room until it stopped at Jupiter's feet. Without hesitation, the brawny guardian scooped it up.

"Stop it! Stop doing these terrible things!" Sailor Moon begged. A hot tear cascaded down her cheek. She tasted the salty water on her lips.

Fighter stepped over Uranus. Bending, she pulled her forward by her navy-colored collar so they were face to face once more.

Fighter's eyes flitted to Sailor Moon, then back to Uranus. "I know you don't like me, but don't make this harder for her. She's been through enough. Let it go already."

Uranus glowered at her for a long time, hating that Fighter had the upperhand. Her expression was hard to read. "Let go of me," she muttered at last.

Reluctantly, Fighter released her grip on her sailor collar and stood up. She took tentative steps backwards.

Uranus got to her feet and returned to the others, stopping before Jupiter. "I'll take my sword back," she said breezily.

Jupiter clenched the hilt tight at her side. "No."

Uranus's eyebrow twitched, then she outstretched her hand. "Give it to me. Please."