lost (scomark)

Mark wants to marry Scott.

He doesn't want his life to end up any other way. He can't imagine his life any other way. He wants to live his life with Scott by his side, and that's that.

Scott really loves Christmas.

He thinks it's the embodiment of family, and love. It's his favorite day of the entire year.

So, it makes sense to Mark to propose to Scott on Christmas day. It'll make it that much more special to him.

They wake up slow that morning.

Scott pressing kisses into Mark's skin, smiles, and giggles, and hand holding, first thing.

They make their way to the couch in the living room, and spend about another half hour cuddling and kissing before they even think about presents. They just want to be close.

They open presents. They each thank each other for the gifts, with a hug, or a kiss, or even just a squeeze of a hand.

And then Mark looks in the tree.

What? Where's the ring?

"Is everything okay, baby?" Scott asks. "C'mon, let's make breakfast and then we can go for a walk." He kisses Mark's hand. "Thank you for everything. I love you."

Mark's heart wants to explode at how thankful Scott is, when he hasn't even received his real present, yet. He supposes he can't do anything until he finds the ring, though, so they start on breakfast.

They make some eggs, bacon, and potatoes and dance while they sing christmas carols in the kitchen.

Mark is carefully scanning every surface, wondering where the ring went.

"Are you looking for something, sweetheart?" Scott asks.

Mark sighs. "No," he says, "Come on, let's eat."

"You seem a little off. Did you not like your gifts?" Scott asks, a worried expression on his features.

"Oh, no, baby, I loved them. They were perfect. I don't know what's up with me today."

Scott nods, and kisses Mark's temple. "I made coffee, too."

"Thank you, angel."

A few hours later, they head to Connie and Rick's, to celebrate with Scott's family.

Hugs are shared and everyone is happy to see them, but Lauren notices something is up.

"Mark? Can I get some help in the kitchen, please?" Lauren asks.

"Sure," Mark stands up.

"I'll go too," Scott offers.

"Oh, no, it's okay, Scott. It'll only take a second," Lauren says, taking Mark with her to the kitchen.

Lauren closes the door when they get there. "Why is there not a ring on my brother's finger?"

Mark sighs. "If I knew where the ring was, it would hopefully be there!"

Lauren gasps. "First of all, it would definitely be there," she says. "He loves you a lot, Mark. Second...you lost the ring?!" She asks.

Mark nods and puts his face in his hands. "I don't know what to do."

"You'll figure it out. It's okay," Lauren says. "It's gotta be around there somewhere, right?"

It's New Year's eve and the ring still isn't found.

"Baby?" Scott asks.

"Yeah, honey, what's up?" Mark asks, walking into the bathroom. "Oh my—you look so good, Scotty."

"Thanks, baby," Scott says

"Thanks, baby," Scott says. "People will arrive soon. Are you ready?"

"Yeah, I just have to get dressed," Mark says.

"Okay," Scott says. "Are you sure you're alright? You haven't been yourself."

"I'm okay," Mark says, a little too quick for Scott's liking, but he doesn't push the subject.

People arrive, and the party is full. Scott and Mark are happy that so many of their friends were able to make it to their new year's party.

"Let me see the happy couple," Mitch says, "Congratulations, you two!"

"What?" Scott asks. "Mitchy, what are you talking about?"

Mitch glances at Scott's left hand. "Oh, um, nothing."

Scott laughs. "Have you had a little too much to drink?"

Mitch looks at Mark. "Yeah, you could say that. Mark, come help me with something?"

"I'll be back in a minute, my love," Mark leans up to kiss Scott. "I love you."

"Love you too, babe," Scott says.

Mitch drags Mark to the bathroom, closing and locking the door.

"What gives? I thought you were proposing for Christmas?"

"I lost the ring," Mark admits.

"You lost the ring?!"

"Look, I'm not proud of it!"

"Okay, so what's your next step?"

"I was hoping it would turn up," Mark says, "But that's not the case. I guess I'll have to save up for another one."

"I'm really sorry, Mark. I know how much you were looking forward to this." Mitch pouts.

When they get back to the party, Scott is looking for Mark.

"Baby, there you are," Scott says. "I have a question for you."

Mark freezes. "Go on," he says.

Scott presents the very ring box Mark has been looking for all week. "Do you know why this was under the couch? Or who's it is?"

"Oh my god, you found it!" Mark says, hugging Scott. "I can't believe it! Wait, what were you doing under the couch?"

"Michael dropped his wallet," Scott says. "Who's is this?" He asks.

Mark smiles at Scott. "It was supposed to be one of your Christmas presents," he says, opening the box. "I was going to ask you to marry me, but I couldn't find the ring."

"Wait, to...to marry you?" Scott asks. "Oh my god...oh my god!"

Mark giggles, and gets down on one knee. More and more people are turning their attention to them every second.

"Marry me, sweetheart?"

Scott nods with watery eyes. "Yeah, Marky, of course I'll marry you," he says.

Cheers erupt throughout the house.

Mark stands up, slides the ring onto Scott's finger, and kisses him.

"It's not the Christmas proposal I wanted," Mark says, "But you're mine, nonetheless."

"I was always yours," Scott says, "I love you."

Mark smiles. "I love you too, honey."