curse

It's around nine months together, in November, with Scott when Mark decides he needs to come clean.

Scott's fallen asleep on his lap, and Mark realizes just his head-over-heels in love with him he really is.

Maybe he'll get lucky with this one.

He still needs to tell him. He hates this stupid curse he has.

Scott's eyes flutter open, and he smiles at Mark. "Hi, baby." He mumbles.

"Hi, Scotty." Mark smiles back. "You're so cute."

Scott grabs Mark's hand, lacing their fingers together. "I love you."

Mark brings their hands to his lips, kissing Scott's hand. "I love you too, angel. Did you sleep well?"

Scott nods. "You're very comfy."

Mark chuckles at Scott. He's the sweetest, most adorable boy.

"I have to tell you something." Mark says, a more serious tone.

Scott notices the change in Mark's tone, and sits up. "Is everything okay?"

Mark nods. "Yeah, I'm fine. I just...I love you and I should have told you this sooner."

"Okay..." Scott trails off. "You're not like, a mass murderer, are you?" He jokes, trying to lighten the mood.

"No, baby," Mark says. "Of course not. I just..." He sighs. "This doesn't even sound real, but I promise it is."

"Go ahead, Marky," Scott says.

"When I was 19, I had a curse put on me."

"A....curse? You mean, like...magic?"

"Yes. The witch that gave it to me was actually my aunt, because she wanted to bless me. But in my experience, it's been more of a curse than anything."

"Okay, what is it?"

"So...if I'm dating someone, and they're not my soulmate, I forget everything about them at the start of the following year."

"And if they're your soulmate?"

"I remember everything. That's how I'll inevitably know when I've found them."

Scott nods. "Okay."

"And, my feelings are telling me it could be you, baby, but, I just don't know. So I wanted to tell you now, in case you didn't want that heartbreak."

"What, like, leave you?"

Mark nods. "You wouldn't be the first."

"Oh, baby," Scott pulls Mark into his arms. "No, I love you too much to give up on us.

Mark laughs pathetically, a tear rolling down his cheek. "That's what makes it so hard," his voice cracks. "Because, I love you, I love you so much, but if the universe decides you're not my soulmate, I won't remember you at all."

"Don't cry, angel," Scott kisses Mark's forehead. "Don't cry. We'll figure it out, okay?"

Mark just gives a shaky nod, snuggling closer to Scott.

new year's eve

"Baby, I know you're nervous about tonight," Scott says, "But, everything will work out for the better. I promise." He hands Mark a glass of champagne.

"How do you know?"

"Well, we're either soulmates and end up together," Scott kisses Mark's temple, "Or, you'll know that it's not me and you're one step closer to finding your real soulmate."