Chapter 43 Birthday Preparations

Jessica's pov

After testing all the cake flavours with Dan's mom, we finally decided on eight flavours and a nine tier cake. For the flavours we decided to have caramel apple, orange velvet, pineapple and rum, banana and chocolate, baked raspberry, ricotta cheesecake, mocha fudge and vanilla with berries. For the ninth and the smallest tier, we went for a butter cake with lemon toppings. We decided on the buffet and the desserts. After all the food items out of the way, I sat down to make the guest list. I wanted his birthday to be special. I asked Dan' mom about his other birthday parties. Her face got sad as I asked that question. She looked up at me and I could see sadness in her eyes. She said that he had never had a birthday party. I was shocked at her response. I was curious to know as to why he had never had a birthday party but I decided not to ask anymore questions. Her face was sad after that one question. She smiled sometimes but I knew it was a forced one. I was done making the guest list. I called some of his close friends and his cousins. I didn't want the party to be boring with old men and women walking around talking about politics. After I was done, I thanked his parents and headed back to the university. I was going to check on it the next day. As I entered the university, I saw Dan sitting on one of the benches with a worried look on his face. He saw me and immediately got up. I walked towards him. He suddenly hugged me tight and stayed like that for a couple of minutes. After some time, he sighed and asked me where I was the whole day. I gulped. I hadn't thought about what I was gonna tell him. I told him that I had gone to meet a friend. He furrowed his brows but didn't ask anymore questions. I wiped a sweat off my head. It was sweet of him to let me do anything. Suzy's boyfriend was overprotective of her and he didn't let her talk to any of the guys. He always wanted her to tell him where she was going and he always waited around for her. It was all sweet till it started becoming stupid. He waited for her right outside when she went to the washroom. He was always there waiting for her in front of her dorm every morning. We asked her to break up with him but she said that it was only because he was worried about her. Joy had just started dating and we had met the guy once but didn't know a lot about him. She was always happy when she returned from dates and she seemed to be beaming all day. They didn't spend a lot of time together as the guy was always busy. Joy didn't seem to mind that. Dan told me that he had to go for a photo shoot. I smiled and he left me. I was about to walk up the dorm stairs when I felt someone catch hold of my hand. I turned around to see Dan. I asked him why he had not left for the shoot. He asked me if I wanted to accompany him. I had not seen him all day so I agreed. We reached the shoot. There were many people running around with equipment. They all stopped when they saw Dan. After wishing him, they started running around again. An old man came to us and Dan hugged him. He looked at me and asked Dan if I was his girlfriend. He smiled and said that I was the only girl he loved. My face began to heat up as blush covered my cheeks. I may have been very red because the old man chuckled. It was a good day. Dan tried on three different outfits and all of them fit him like a glove. After the shoot, we both went to get ice cream. After walking for a long time, my legs started to hurt. I caught hold of his hand and pouted. He understood that I was tired and bent down. I got on top of him and he balanced me on top of his back and his hands. I put my arm around his neck and hugged him tight. He felt warm. It was a feeling that I would never forget. I could feel his heartbeat from his thick jacket. I tilted my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes. I didn't know when I fell asleep. I saw Dan walking towards me. He looked angry. I wondered why. He walked closer and took me by the wrists. His grip was tight and there was anger in his eyes. I had so many things to ask but I couldn't say anything. I looked at him with something that is called fear. He asked me if I liked Ryan. My eyes widened and I denied right away. He seemed angrier at my quick response. He was breathing heavily and I could see tears at the corner of his eyes. He said the thing that I never wanted him to say. He wanted us to break up. I was about to say more but I felt someone tapping me on my shoulder. I looked behind and saw Dan looking at me. I looked to the either side and I was in front of my dorm. Dan was looking at me with a worried look on his face. I felt a hand on my waist. I sighed and hugged Dan. He was still confused but just hugged me back. I buried my face in his shoulder and smiled. I was happy that it was only a dream. I asked him if he was ever going to ask me to break up with him. He looked serious for a minute but then gave a deep chuckle. He shook his head in a no and asked me if I had a dream. I shook my head and gripped him tightly again. It was great that I had someone to always talk to you. He was very calming.