Chapter 38 The big day

Jessica's pov

I woke up in the morning to the sunshine hitting my face. I groaned and flipped over. I saw Dan facing me and sleeping. I got up slowly and looked around. I was at the movie set. I felt something move beside me.I looked down still confused. Dan slept there curled up. I took my blanket and covered him. I thought that he must have slept like that the whole night. I sat down beside him and brushed my fingers through his hair gently. He opened his eyes slowly and was startled to see me. He sat up with a start. He immediately got up and helped me to get up too. I glanced at my watch and noticed that we had a little time before our classes started. We picked up the rest of the things from the caravan and headed towards the car. I had dismissed my driver last night so my car wasn't there. Dan's driver was still in his car, asleep. Dan knocked on the window and he got up. We headed back to the university. We had no shoot that day and neither did we have to go out so Dan dismissed his driver after we reached the university. Dan walked me back to my dorm. After we reached the dorm, he kissed me on my forehead. I waved at him and walked up the stairs. As I entered the room, I noticed Suzy sitting on her bed looking worried. As she saw me she jumped down and rushed towards me. She asked me where I was last night. I told her the whole story. After I was done, she shook her head up and down. I asked her where the others were. Her face changed to a worried look. She answered slowly, almost in a whisper. Joy and Natalie were in the hospital as Natalie had gotten food poisoning and she had to be rushed to the hospital at night. My heart broke at the thought of that. I wanted to be with her at that moment but I wasn't. I grabbed Suzy's hand and ran to the hospital. As we entered I noticed Natalie on a bed. She held her stomach in pain. Joy sat beside the bed with Natalie's hands in hers. I rushed to the bedside and plopped down on a stool. Natalie smiled as she saw me. The nurse brought her a bowl full of soup. I took it from her. After dipping the spoon in the soup, I blew on it to cool it down. I moved the spoon over to Natalie and took a sip. I did the same thing till the whole bowl was finished. After a while the nurse discharged Natalie and we headed back to the dorm. Natalie laid down on the still holding her stomach although she was not in pain anymore. I asked her if she would be able to attend classes that day and shook her head in a yes. Natalie had always been the hardworking type of person making her a very good student. After changing, we headed to our lectures for the day. I didn't have many that day so I wondered if Dan would want to hang out. I stopped in front of his dorm and asked the others to carry on. There were some guys coming down the stairs and I asked them if they could check if Dan was upstairs. One of them ran up skipping one of the stairs in between two. I stood there changing legs and standing on one at a time. After some time, Dan came down and looked at me while grinning. He ran over to me and told me that it was the first time I was waiting for him. I hit him and chuckled. We walked to the lecture hall and sat down. Surprisingly the whole class was full, I leaned over to one of the girls I had never seen in the class before. She informed me that she had joined the class a few weeks ago. At that moment I realised how much I had missed due to the movie. I was determined to do better. One part of me wanted to do better but the other one knew that was almost next to impossible. It was a ton of work to do because I had missed so many lectures for a few months due to the shoot going on. I remembered that my Dad would watch it and feel proud. That one phone call of him saying that he loved and he was proud of me for doing so well was enough. After finishing the lessons, I looked for Dan but couldn't see him anywhere. I wondered if he had left already. He sometimes left to live at his house as it was not very far from the university. I missed my house too but only I knew the joy to see my room after several months. With that thought in my head, I headed out of the lecture hall with one of the girls who was sitting next to me. She was so sweet that she could make friends with anyone in a second. She had asked me if I wanted to grab lunch. I was hungry since I had not had my breakfast. We headed out of the academic building and were walking to the canteen. Joy, Natalie and Suzy ran towards us hand in hand. They looked happy. It was the first time I had seen them so happy in a long time. I asked the girl I had just met if we could grab lunch some other time. She nodded her head and I ran over to my best friends. They smiled at me and I smiled back. Natalie crossed hands with me. We all walked like that to the canteen. We giggled happily as Joy made an ugly face. I knew it was hard to be happy like that for all our lives but I was happy to be in that moment.