Chapter 22 Hoping for the best

Jessica's pov

We had dinner and headed back to the car. It was gonna be rough the next day. Dan and I had some action scenes that we were supposed to do. As we were not using any body doubles, we had to do it all by ourselves. We wished each other goodnight and headed back to the dorm. I got up in the morning with sweat covering all of my body. My pillow was wet and all my back hair was sticking to my neck. I had a long shower and washed my hair knowing how dirty it was gonna get on the set. As I headed out, I saw Dan heading to the canteen with some of his friends. I tried not to get any attention but one of his friends spotted me. He nudged Dan on the elbow and Dan turned around. He jogged to me and asked if I had had breakfast yet. I said yea as I didn't want him to worry about me. He asked me if I wanted to go to the shoot together. I said no and also said that I needed to meet someone on the way. He waved and headed back to his friends. I was relieved when he got out of my sight. I sighed and headed for the car. I headed to one of the bakeries near as I hadn't had breakfast yet. I got some banana bread on the go as the owner was a kind man. I ordered a shake with less sugar. I had a hard time watching my diet. I had never been on a diet before and didn't know what it was like. I was beginning to feel something different. I didn't care about my appearance before I came to the university. I kept pushing strands of my hair back and whenever I had free time I would check myself in the mirror. I entered the shoot to already see everyone scurrying around. It had become a habit to enter the shoot with loud noises. As I headed to my caravan, I thought of the day when the camera had fallen on me. I smiled remembering how much pain I had to go through. I changed into a pink and bending red hoodie with some shorts underneath. I got on some timberland boots and made my way towards the director. He was busy reading a piece of paper. There was a big box near him. I didn't want to disturb him so I just headed back to the caravan. I started reading a book and forgot that I was still on the set. I got out of my bubble when there was a knock at the door. I opened the door to see a smiling Dan with a packet in his hands. I opened the door wide and went in. He followed me in and got seated in an armchair. He handed me the packet. It had some smoothie inside it. I thanked him and he just smiled. I started drinking the smoothie. I narrowed my eyes to see what Dan was doing. He balanced his cheeks on his one palm and stared at me. I got uncomfortable but fortunately the director asked us to come to the set over his loudspeaker. Dan headed first and I followed after him. The first scene was when I had to slip down a sloped surface. It did take some time to do the scene but we were over with it. Over the day, many people got hurt. I scraped one of my arms. Dan had twisted an ankle and was unable to walk. One of the stuntmen had fallen down and had broken a wrist. He went to the hospital with one of the crew members. Donna had broken a nail. Although she had only broken a nail she cried enough tears to last an entire year. At the end of the day, everybody was fine. The others had left. There was Dan's assistant and driver and my driver on the set. Dan and I were practicing the hard scenes with the director. Dan and the director were practicing some fight scenes while I learnt my lines near a bonfire. After the director and Dan joined me, we ordered some chicken and beer. Dan and the director drank but Dan did not allow me to drink. I told him that he was like a possessive boyfriend. I couldn't believe that had actually come out of my mouth. I covered my mouth with my hands. Dan gave me an evil grin before opening a beer bottle. I tried to snatch it away from him. Maybe the ground was really slippery because I slipped and ended up with my head on Dan's lap and my hands around him. I blushed so hard and clenched my teeth so tightly that I thought they might break any second. I immediately got up and apologised to him. He put his hand on my head and said that it was fine. The director was still sitting there looking at us both with an awkward look plastered all over his face. I giggled nervously and just had the chicken. It had been a rough day. After sending the drunk director back to his house, I turned to Dan. He was swaying around half drunk. I wished that he had no consciousness left after what was going to happen that night. I put on my hands on his shoulder and stood on my toes. I got my face near his and pecked him on the cheek. After I got down, he was still swaying side to side. I smiled and cupped his face in my hands. I was just happy to be with him.