Chapter 6 Lots of drama

The sun shone bright above the both of them. Although it was just a game of luck, it felt like a big deal. Everybody had waited for them to play. Some cheered for Ryan and some for Dan. It felt like a love triangle to me at first but then I started having second thoughts. After I finally looked at them, Dan smiled at me. My knees felt weak and I got butterflies in my stomach. Luck was on Dan's side. They both brought their hands forward while saying "rock paper scissors". Dan had brought out a rock while Ryan had brought scissors. The students cheering for Dan jumped in happiness. Dan came smiling and raised his hands wanting to say I said so. I was happy that Dan was going to be my partner but I was also sad for Ryan. His face looked down as he walked to the benches near our tents. I went and pulled him into a tight hug. I whispered into his ear that he was great and it was just a game of luck. After I released him I looked at his face. His face was red with an awkward smile . I gave a little laugh and patted him on the shoulder. He smiled and wished me good luck for the games. I walked back to Dan and sat beside him on the bench but something was off. I could see the jealousy on Dan's face. There was too much going on around me so I just laughed it off at that moment. While we were waiting for the games to start, I started having second thoughts. I started thinking if he liked me but also had the thought that He didn't because he was a very big star and had girls dying for him. As we waited in line for the treasure hunt to begin, I wanted to see who Natalie had partnered up with. With so much going on around me, I had totally forgotten about Natalie. She had paired up with one of the guys in Animal Husbandry. The guy was quite handsome. I pulled Natalie near me. I apologized for not paying attention to her. She laughed and said it was fine. After waiting for a while, the professors gave us our first clue and asked us to start the game. The winner was to get some cash prize so we were all very excited. The Treasure Hunt was to take place in one of the woods near our tents. We all were given a fluorescent light, that we could show if we had lost our way. Dan asked me to be near him all the time so I won't get lost. The woods were very dark and there was very little sunlight coming in due to the thick trees. There were owls and many types of birds flying or sitting on the trees. Our first clue was a circle with a v letter inside it. We started looking for a circle. There were many beetles and insects on the ground. There were strange noises coming from the woods. I was scared out of death. Dan noticed me getting scared and held my hand. My heart started beating fast.Snatching my hand away from him, I said that my palms were sweaty and I did not want his palms to get sweaty. He smiled and said he did not care. After walking for a few more minutes we found a tree with a circle in the middle. There was a bird carving in the middle of the circle. It looked somewhat like the clue so we started looking for more clues near the tree. After that it was easy and the clues were simpler. After hours we finally found the place where the cash prize was hidden but unfortunately the cash prize was already taken by one of the other groups. Dan looked at me to assure me that it was fine that we lost. He said we still had a lot of fun. We were still talking when we heard somebody shouting from the woods. It was Mia shouting at her partner for not walking faster. Dan whispered in my ear "Drama Queen". I let out a little laugh and Mia heard me. She asked me why I was laughing. I said that it had nothing to do with her. She wouldn't believe me and pulled me towards her by my hair. When she saw Ryan and Dan walking towards us she acted like it was me who had attacked her. Ryan helped me up and Dan asked me what had happened. Mia threw herself into Dan's arms crying. I knew she could be very dramatic but I did not expect this from her. Dan helped her stand properly but she kept on falling down. Dan bent down and picked her up in his arms. My heart shattered to pieces as I looked at his back. Mia looked at me as a sigh escaped her lips. A tear rolled down my eyes but I quickly wiped it away. I didn't want anyone thinking I was a cry baby.Natalie ran to me and held my hand. Dan came back to talk to me but Natalie was very angry. She took me by my hand and pulled me. She shot Dan an angered look and started running. She ran very fast. When we stopped I was all out of breath. She asked if I was okay. I nodded in agreement. She let out a sigh and asked me what it was all about. I told her how Mia was acting and was framing me. She clenched her fists in anger. Did I ever tell you that Natalie got angry very easily? I held her hands in mine and looked into her eyes. I assured her that I was fine. We were still talking when we saw Dan running towards us. Natalie pulled me behind her. She asked Dan what he wanted. He tried to look at me but Natalie kept blocking him. He said in frustration that it was all a misunderstanding and he did not mean to blame me. I patted Natalie on the shoulder and whispered that I trusted him. After I told Dan the whole story, he looked guilty as hell. My heart warmed and I told him that it was not his fault. He smiled.